View Full Version : Getting nervous

sk8er1964
02-08-2003, 08:42 PM
Ok - the only reason for this post is to ask all of you to keep your fingers crossed for me tomorrow. It's my first competition since April of 1981 and I'm getting nervous. Even had a good old anxiety dream last night (actually, it was quite funny - it included a beagle with no name and a missing bridge between Mackinac Island (MI) and the mainland, which can only be reached by boat in reality...)

Dress is ready...tapes are ready...skates are in good shape...landed the axel in practice today - first try since last Saturday....I hope I sleep tonight......

AstarZ41
02-08-2003, 10:23 PM
Good luck, sk8er1964!!!! :) Try your best and no matter what happens have fun!!

Black Sheep
02-08-2003, 10:45 PM
Well, at least you get a trial run before sectionals. Keep us posted! 8-)

gardana
02-08-2003, 11:07 PM
You'll do great. Have FUN!!!!

tidesong
02-09-2003, 12:57 AM
Just relax! Enjoy yourself!
My competition is coming up in a week so I'm just started getting into the mood :) I'll be like that this coming friday night :P

icenut84
02-09-2003, 05:55 AM
Good luck! I'm sure you'll be fine, just have fun and keep this in your head: "Show them what you can do!". :)

Mrs Redboots
02-09-2003, 06:52 AM
Have fun. Remember, you can't control what the other skaters do, and you can't control what the judges do. All you can do is go out there and skate as well as you are able. If you come off the ice pleased with how you skated, you're a winner, however you actually place!

Do tell us about it when it's safely over!

melanieuk
02-09-2003, 11:40 AM
Good luck!

A full report would be good! :)

jazzpants
02-09-2003, 01:08 PM
RELAX!!! You'll do JUST fine!!! And remember when all else to HAVE FUN!!! :)

sk8er1964
02-09-2003, 07:16 PM
Whew - that was interesting!!! :D

Ok. We had four skaters, and I skated third. I didn't see any of the other skaters skate (I don't watch the ones before me, and I was too busy trying to breathe to watch the one after me!).

I was quite nervous - fell in the warm up in my footwork, which shocked both my coach and me. The ice was really brittle, and I'm used to soft ice, so that felt kind of weird. Landed the axel and the lutz combo great in warm up - woo hoo!! Ran out of time and didn't get to do the flying camel.

Then the program came. I start with an arabesque kind of move, and smile at the judges. When I did that, I realized that one of the judges was somebody that I knew and, while I get along with her, I'm slightly intimidated by her at times. So I let that rattle me, which was a stupid mental mistake (lesson learned - next time if the judges are in view, look at them in warm up so there are no surprises :roll: )

The program was ok, considering I invented several parts on the spot because I didn't do what I was supposed to do! Fell on the axel, two-footed the lutz but got the combo off. Ran out of rink (ala the men at Nationals) so the flip combo had no loop. All together it was an ok performance - my footwork was quite good and my loop and salchow were great. Spins were ok.

I got the tape of my performance - I'd really recommend that to all of you if you don't already get it. I learned that my mind is a lot younger than the skater!!! I learned that even though I thought my sit spin was low, my coach is absolutely right when he tells me I need to get lower (amazing what coaches know ;) )

BTW, I got the bronze and I'm thrilled with the day. (My husband told me that he would have placed me tied with first - got to love your men!!!) It was really fun. On to Royal Oak and Wyandotte!!!

sk8er1964
02-09-2003, 07:21 PM
PS - Tidesong ...

Good luck at your competition. Be sure to post if you need moral support and let us know how you do. I know the support here has helped me!

skaternum
02-09-2003, 08:23 PM
Yeah, competition nerves do some weird stuff to you, don't they? But now you've gotten that out of the way, your next comp will be so much better! I see every comp as a learning experience. And remember, by just getting out there in front of the judges, you've done something that most adult skaters don't have the guts to do. :)

Congratulations on the medal!!

dbny
02-09-2003, 10:21 PM
sk8er1964
:D :D :D CONGRATULATIONS :D :D :D

singerskates
02-09-2003, 10:31 PM
Way to Go. Now for Wyandotte forget the judges totally and just play with your music. Feel your way. Let your soul be joyous throughout your program just having fun.

Brigitte

Mrs Redboots
02-10-2003, 05:35 AM
Originally posted by dbny
sk8er1964
:D :D :D CONGRATULATIONS :D :D :D SECONDED!

melanieuk
02-10-2003, 08:11 AM
Well done! Now you've done it once (again)....... ;) A nice report too. :)

tidesong
02-10-2003, 08:35 AM
Ok... I dunno, right now my program has settled itself into a particular pattern which I don't really like because I keep falling on the axel in the middle... and I can't shift it around coz I have the harder elements earlier: my double sal and combination jump. Well, I have landed it twice in my program and I am hoping that my brain decides to cooperate with my muscles sooner :) Otherwise, I'll just take it as it is... it isn't too bad I think...
Should i start a new thread for me? :P

sk8er1964
02-10-2003, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by tidesong
Ok... I dunno, right now my program has settled itself into a particular pattern which I don't really like because I keep falling on the axel in the middle... and I can't shift it around coz I have the harder elements earlier: my double sal and combination jump. Well, I have landed it twice in my program and I am hoping that my brain decides to cooperate with my muscles sooner :) Otherwise, I'll just take it as it is... it isn't too bad I think...
Should i start a new thread for me? :P

Oh...I hate it when that happens! Due to injury, I had only tried 3 axels in the last week - 2 out of the program and the one in my program. 2 were beautiful, 1 I fell on. Of course it was the one in the program ;) .

Keep plugging away and eventually your mind will cooperate on that middle axel. Also, I don't mind if you share my thread :lol: .

candace
02-10-2003, 09:12 AM
:) :P Congratulation!!!!!!!!! Now you have one out of the way. As time goes on hopefully it will be easyer for you. Just keep on working hard on your program and when you get out here again it should be easyer for you.:D :) :P

yuffie
02-10-2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by sk8er1964
Even had a good old anxiety dream last night

Haha I have those lol. One time my skate fell off in my program and I had to skate on one foot :P

BTW: Congrats on the bronze! That's excellent :D I always get teased that I'll get 8th out of 7 or somehting like that :roll:

Black Sheep
02-10-2003, 11:32 AM
Thanks for sharing! Congrats on your bronze medal, and I'll see you @ Wyandotte! 8-)

Blue Line
02-10-2003, 01:10 PM
Congrats, sk8er1964! http://websmileys.bei.t-online.de/party19.gif

A bronze medal for your first time out of the gate in so long is amazing! Be proud!

Mel On Ice
02-10-2003, 03:39 PM
was this for Port Huron? Congratulations! I had a friend competing in Bronze and she got 4th, thrilled with the pewter.

Now I have to wrestle with my own anxiety facing the Sweetheart Open!

sk8er1964
02-10-2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Mel On Ice
was this for Port Huron? Congratulations! I had a friend competing in Bronze and she got 4th, thrilled with the pewter.

Now I have to wrestle with my own anxiety facing the Sweetheart Open!

Yes, it was Port Huron. The Bronze group was a really tough group - I saw about 2/3rds of them. I think there were 8 skaters in that group.

Where's the Sweetheart Open?

Mel On Ice
02-11-2003, 09:49 AM
my friend Denise agrees with you. She did everything except her flip-loop combo. She skated second, and ended up 4th.

Sweetheart is down here in St. Louis. I used to skate in Michigan, but I moved a few years ago. I've got 4 events, 2 solo, 2 synchro. I skate with garyc's girlfriend.

sk8er1964
02-11-2003, 10:28 AM
Good luck! That's a lot of events - doesn't it make you tired? Let us know how you do.