View Full Version : Skating Costumes

sk8er1964
02-06-2003, 11:54 AM
Hi all. We're almost finished with my new competition dress, and it made me wonder what all of you are wearing in your events - colors, materials, decorations etc.

My new dress is a dark aqua velvet, long sleeves and round collar (the way I'm built, I need to cover more than I need to show off :)). We have it trimmed with a sequined applique (sp?) of flowers in dark purple, green and blue on the bodice, with one flower on each sleeve. We were originally going to accent with purple crystals, but then decided that would be too much. (BTW, the "we" are my mom and myself - at 60 she's stuck making her daughter's skating dresses again because I cannot sew a stitch!)

My other, as of yet unmade, dress will be dark grey velvet with a really cool liquid-silver skirt, neckline and sleeves (ala Nancy Kerrigan's sheer-sleeved dresses). We'll probably accent it with clear crystals, because the liquid-silver only looks that way when it's moved - at a standstill it looks like a dark grey ribbed material. Hard to describe, cool to look at.

What do yours look like?

Mrs Redboots
02-06-2003, 12:02 PM
I don't think I'll have a new dress this year - I don't really need one. You can check out some of my skating costumes in the various photos of me, and of me and Robert, on my web page (http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk). I don't yet have a photo of me in this year's Interpretive, alas.

flo
02-06-2003, 01:29 PM
The designer who usually does my dresses is now tied up teaching ballet full time, and making their costumes. I was going to order one from the Watercolor dressmakers, but couldn't decide on the colors, so I decided to have a go at making my own. I bought a white cotton/lycra leotard, white silk, and Mika gave me a white dance skirt. I painted these with fabric paints. The colors are bules and aqua, and I added some opal and gold to the paints for a little shine. It was fun, and I'm going to try it again.

skaternum
02-06-2003, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by flo
I was going to order one from the Watercolor dressmakers, but couldn't decide on the colors, so I decided to have a go at making my own.

And I can't say enough, having seen it in person, it was beautiful! You should definitely make another one.

mikawendy
02-06-2003, 04:09 PM
Oops, I meant to send a PM.

flo
02-06-2003, 04:09 PM
thanks!!:oops: It was fun to make, and I practiced by making scarves for friends, so I got to play with the color mixtures. My cats also had a good time. I hung the material in the shower to dry, and the kitties pulled it down and walked all over it! =^..^=

flo
02-06-2003, 04:13 PM
Hi Mika, it is indeed Maria. Her costumes are beautiful, and I have a couple that would probably fit you! I didn't look at the pictures and tapes while I was there. I was on my way to a dinner invitation and didn't have the time. I'll bring the costume to the rink sometime. Thanks again for your skirt! I'll paint one for you if you pick put the colors.

Black Sheep
02-06-2003, 06:32 PM
This is my dress for my Gold FS program. It's perfect for my music:
A Charlie Brown Christmas. (But that is NOT me in the picture!)

What makes this dress special is that I found it by chance online at a site called figureskatewear.com. Judy is an adult skater who handmakes costumes. It just happened to fit me to a T--how lucky is that? I actually got it three years ago for my ISI FS6 Solo (my music was from the film and TV show Amazing Stories ). ;)

www.figureskatewear.com/Portfolio/Freestyle/WHITEF.jpg

vesperholly
02-07-2003, 08:53 AM
This is the dress I'm having duplicated for my long (except without the diamonds in the armpits):

http://www.jayadeff.com/US2003Weber2F.jpg

I'm skating to Turandot.

Black Sheep, your link doesn't work.

Jocelyn

Black Sheep
02-07-2003, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by vesperholly
Black Sheep, your link doesn't work.

Jocelyn

Should now--I tried another one. This is the site from where I actually got the dress.

PattyP
02-07-2003, 01:55 PM
This is the dress I wore for my artistic program last year. I liked it so much that I chose music for my FS program that would fit with this dress. I saved a lot of money that way ;)

http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/adultedge/vwp?.dir=/&.src=gr&.dnm=PattyP.jpg&.view=t&.done=http%3a//photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/adultedge/lst%3f%26.dir=/%26.src=gr%26.view=t

PattyP

sk8er1964
02-07-2003, 03:33 PM
Great dresses!

PattyP - the link didn't work for me :(

rinkrat24/7
02-07-2003, 04:29 PM
it didn't work 4 me either:oops:

Black Sheep
02-07-2003, 05:51 PM
I think you have to be a registered, signed-in Yahoo! member in order to get those links to work. I am such a member so the link worked for me.

That's a really gorgeous dress, Patty--very patriotic! What was your music? 8-)

dbny
02-07-2003, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Black Sheep
I think you have to be a registered, signed-in Yahoo! member in order to get those links to work. I am such a member so the link worked for me.

I am too, and I signed it and it still didn't work for me. The page I got even had a "sign out" link.

Lili
02-07-2003, 11:06 PM
Being as broke as I am right now (thank you 6 Dave Matthews Band concerts in the past year, and thank you new iMac!) I am not going to be getting a new dress. I do not compete as much as I would like to, so it really does not matter. If and when I compete I will just use my black shadow dance dress that my friend and I beaded last year. It fits my music and that is all that matters! :)

flo
02-10-2003, 09:39 AM
Hi,
Mine is now on the Ann Arbor page with the Washington photos. The link is:
http://ic.net/~burgoyne/ice/fsc.htm
I'm the one mis-idenbtified as Judy in the starting pose. Wonder what Judy wore!

LoopLoop
02-10-2003, 09:56 AM
I'm having Sarah Hughes' short program dress from this year's nationals copied. Not in black, though.

yuffie
02-10-2003, 11:09 AM
I really don't have a dress I wear at compitition consistantly yet lol. We are still looking...just can't seem to find a one that isn't ichy. :frus:

MissIndigo
02-10-2003, 10:08 PM
I'm having a kimono-inspired dress made for me, from my very own sketches! I am so excited to get this--it will be a perfect match for the music I have chosen for my Bronze test. It may be a while before I actually take the test, but we're going to start placing elements. I want to have plenty of time to get comfortable with the program...but anyway...

The dress is navy blue velvet, V-neck, with bell sleeves, and a traditional skirt. The simulated obi is gold with burgundy flowers, with the gold starkly contrasting against the navy. The obi will tie in back with a gold and burgundy cord I picked out.

My other dress for testing is going to be teal velvet with a teal glissenette top skirt, and royal contrasting underskirt.