View Full Version : Hip Problems!

BringontheRain
06-08-2002, 11:01 AM
A few weeks ago, I was constantly falling on my left hip and it began to ache terribly, so I took 3 days off and then I went easy for about 3 days and it began to feel better unless I hit it. The next week I trained hard because I competed that weekend (last weekend) and this week, my hip has been sore but not like bruised from falls, it feels strained and sore, it hurts more to do sit spins and hydrobaldes than it does to fall, it also is slightly painful to do axel takeoffs and left outside rockers. I have been icing it and heating it along with wearing two butt pads on the ice. Any clue as to what could be wrong??

Thanks so much!

Elsy2
06-09-2002, 03:02 PM
I feel bad nobody has responded to you, so here I go! The hip bone is called the iliac crest, and muscles of you rear, abdomen and outer hip attach to this bony ridge. The muscles overlap one another along the bone and are connected to the bone by a broad tendon. It's probable that you have strained this area, but it sounds like you are doing all the right things to recover. So, protect the hip as best you can, listen to your body and back off if you get overly sore. If it continues for more than a few weeks consult your sports doc. Some light stretching may be a good thing. Hope you are better soon!

A few weeks ago one of the girls at the rink really slammed her hip on a 2/flip attempt. She could barely walk. In a few days she was much better and in two weeks she was testing.

garyc254
06-12-2002, 12:11 PM
I just returned from my Orthopaedist. I had picked up a hunk of steel at work last week and felt something go "pop" in my back/hip. I feared the worst for future skating as the pain became unbearable after 5 minutes on the ice.

Fortunately, it looks like I have a tear in the sacroiliac area. Treatment is cold and heat along with physical therapy and an anti-inflammatory medicine (Naprosyn).

I agree with Elsy2. It sounds like you are doing the right things, but if it persists you need to see the sports doc. If for no other reason than to find out for sure what is wrong. They can twist and turn your hip to localize the pain and let you know where it eminates from and what to do about it.

Good luck!!!!

BringontheRain
06-12-2002, 07:39 PM
Thanks!

It has gotten a little better, but not great, it still hurts :(. I am still protecting it though, so I hope it continues to get better!

Perry
08-13-2004, 01:50 PM
Icing and heating are definately the way to go, though there's an ongoing debate over which is actually better. I, too, have had hip problems (at the last count, 11, 4 of which had to be surgically corrected, one of which probally will have to be once I turn 18), and, in the two years since I first started actually saying anything about the pain, I've tried dozens of different ice/heat/pain management combinations. I would recommend heating before you skate, and icing afterward, taking a good anti-imflammatory for the pain (because if, as it likely is, anything is inflamed, tylenol really won't do much), as long as your stomach can tolerate it. If you take anti-inflammatories too much, you can develop gastroentiritis (as I did) or other complications, so always be careful. Other than that, make sure you pay attention to what your body is telling you. I started getting pain about a year before I said anything about it, and if I had treated the problem then, I may not have even had to have surgery, because it never would have reached the point it did.

jp1andOnly
08-13-2004, 02:22 PM
make sure you stretch. I have terrible hip pain and they thought I had avascular necrosis which comes from taking certain medications and basically rots your hip away. Luckily it wasn't that but my IT band is so tight it pulls my hip in weird directions so it looks like one leg is slightly shorter than the other and then my pelvis gets out of whack making the pain constant and annoying. I did some physio where I was shown great stretches. Usually if it comes back its because I'm not stretching enough. I ice the area nad stretch. If it gets too bad off I go to physio for some treatments I can't so at home

dbny
08-13-2004, 08:33 PM
I have chronic hip pain, and I live on ibuprofen, which keeps it under tolerable control. I highly recommend trying ibuprofen for a week or two to see if it helps. Anti-inflamatories need time to work, so just taking it once won't do. Eat something with it, to reduce the risk of gastric complications.

Elsy2
08-13-2004, 09:58 PM
When I read my response on this thread, I didn't even recognize it. This post is from two years ago? How do these threads get resurrected from so long ago?

dbny
08-13-2004, 10:24 PM
When I read my response on this thread, I didn't even recognize it. This post is from two years ago? How do these threads get resurrected from so long ago?

I don't have a clue, but you were obviously paying more attention than I was :oops: