View Full Version : Blades Four Aces vs Coronation Ace

JD
02-04-2003, 11:54 AM
Hi!

Is anyone out there using Four Aces??? How different are they from the Coronation Ace? We've been told by the skate guy we use they are similar to pattern 99....since I don't understand the specs information...anyone out there who'd like to share would be appreciated....

Elsy2
02-04-2003, 03:58 PM
I don't have experience with Four Aces, but out of curiosity I looked at them on the Wilson website. Looks to me like the difference between the Four Aces and Coronation Ace is the teeth on the toepick. The Four Aces has straight cut teeth, the Coronation Aces have crosscut teeth for better grip. Both are rated as an intermediate level blade.

I don't understand why they would say Four Aces is similar to Pattern 99, as Pattern 99 has larger toepicks, and is an 8' radius blade. Four Aces is a 7' radius blade. So....how can they be similar at all?

IMO....I see no advantage to changing to another intermediate level blade that doesn't have crosscut teeth....

If my daughter were working on triples and 2/axels....I'd get her a more advanced blade. I understand your daughter is teeny-tiny, so perhaps the coach is thinking an advanced blade is too much for her size?

max
02-05-2003, 07:06 AM
At our rink, 4 Ace is used as a stepping stone between Coronation Ace and Gold Seal. The toe picks are bigger than the Coronation Ace.
One of my daughters has stayed in 4 Ace as she does Free and Dance (not enough time between lessons to change boots) whilst the other has moved on to Gold Seal as she only does Free.

However 4 Ace is really only used in UK and Europe and in all these things it comes down to a matter of preference.

Elsy2
02-05-2003, 07:43 AM
Oh...well if the toepicks are bigger, than Four Aces would be worth considering if you didn't want a more advanced blade. I didn't get that impression from the info given on the website.....sorry!

JD
02-05-2003, 08:49 AM
thanks....yes, Elsy2 I know what you mean, because I don't get any different impression from the website either, which is why I'm asking...

Yes, coaches think the rocker (8 ft) in the pattern 99 would be too big because she is so teensy...

Max, it makes sense, re 4 aces...especially the UK and European part....as one of her coaches is from Europe....

I think we are now wondering how good it is for spinning....we are hoping the pick is good enough....

Elsy2, you were mentioning the straight cut vs cross cut??? can you explain that again???

If its the transition between Ace and Gold Seal....ok, what are gold seals...grin...

Elsy2
02-05-2003, 09:37 AM
Not sure how to explain crosscut vs. straight....the difference is apparent when you look at them side by side. On a straightcut toepick, the picks are all parallel and even. The crosscut toepicks are more diagonal, and the theory is that they grip better. Some would say it really doesn't make that much difference.

Gold Seals are the ultimate blade according to many.....they are side honed which means the two edges of the blade are closer together toward the front, and taper wider toward the back.

Since they want you to keep a 7'radius, that really does narrow down your choices. In that case I can see why you'd look at Four Aces, and I would also look at Phantoms MK blades. I think I would decide between those two.

Just noticed the Phantoms are also side honed like the Gold Seals....interesting! That might be a good stepping stone to Gold Seals then. Of course you'll need to use a particularly good sharpener then...