View Full Version : Knebli skating boots

A.H.Black
02-03-2003, 02:22 PM
I thought I would try this here since I figure skaters will know more about the subject than non-skaters.

I was watching my tapes of '92 olympics and there was a nice piece about Knebli boots. Mr. Knebli was 87 at the time and his wife was 84.

I am assuming that they do not make boots anymore or even if either of them are still living. I would like to know more about the boots and the people. Did any of you ever have any of their boots or know someone who did?

JD
02-03-2003, 03:06 PM
I didn't....but Sk Skates off the DVP in Toronto bought out his business and all the patterns, and I've heard the boot maker is very good....

Michigansk8er
02-04-2003, 07:12 AM
I don't really know much about the boots, other than they were very popular when I skated back in the mid-70's. I have known people that skated in Knebli boots (one older gentleman in our club still wears his). Actually, there are a pair for sale on our bulletin board right now.

Sabin Colton
11-25-2008, 05:08 PM
I have a pair that I still wear from 1967 or 8. They were made by Mr. Knebli himself. He always did the measuring for these custom boots while he wore these incredibly ugly but custom fitted shoes that he made for himself. He was a very nice man.

'Had the pleasure of having Don Laws for my pro and he drove several of us to Toronto from Rochester, NY for the fitting. At least I think it was Toronto - many moons ago.

The trick to these boots was that they were custom built out of unsplit calf hide instead of split cow hide and had many eyes for long laces, which made them very stiff and supporting. Fitted with Pattern 99 blades made an awesome pair of boots.

At the time the second choice were Harlicks which were also available as custom built, but they could breakdown over a year of hard practice or even less.

Knebli's for sale have to be tried on first as I think they were all custom jobs.