View Full Version : Coming back from a skating hiatus

AnnM
01-30-2003, 11:59 AM
Between moving to a new location and starting a new, higher-pressure job last fall, skating has virtually disappeared from my life. But I'm ready to start up again. I used to skate three times a week and was working on ISI 4/USFSA Silver levels. I haven't skated at all for about four months. Now my question for you guys: any tips or words of encouragement? What should I start out focusing on and how can I keep myself from getting too frustrated as I tyr to get back to where I was?

sk8er1964
01-30-2003, 12:04 PM
I started back last year after 20 years off the ice. My advise to you is to take it slow at first - you're going to be suprised at how much you will still be able to do, and how much your muscles ache as you do them!!!

Alexeiskate
01-30-2003, 03:21 PM
I think as long as you remind yourself the reason why you're back on the ice and accept that your skating skill might not be where you once left it, you won't get too frustrated. Just do what you can and enjoy it.

I used to skate 5days a week for several years, quit for a couple of months last year and came back skating just one freestyle session every two weeks, mainly for the exercise. I can't do everything I used to anymore but I'm happy that I can still do some of the tricks and enjoy the time that I am on the ice. I am determined to keep my axel and 2sal until the day I can't walk anymore.

skaternum
01-30-2003, 04:22 PM
I took a forced hiatus due to a chronic back problems. It was only going to be 2 months, but turned into 6. The best advice I can give is to be patient and don't push it! It'll take you a little while to get your muscle memory back.

It's great you're able to get back to it!

jazzpants
01-31-2003, 08:10 PM
Boy, doncha just hate high pressure jobs that doesn't allow you to have a life!?!?! :roll: :(

My only advice is to take your time and don't expect everything to come back right away. Outside of that, if you love the sport, the rest will follow. DON'T FORCE IT!!!

Welcome back to AOSS!!! :D :D :D