View Full Version : Elements for a Minute-Long Program

MissIndigo
01-24-2003, 02:46 PM
Hi guys--

I am considering entering the freeskate portion of my next competition, which would be early April. I haven't entered freeskate before (only done compulsories and jump/spin events) and I feel I ought to do this at least once before I test Bronze sometime later this year. Obviously, this skate would be at the pre-bronze level.

My question is, how many elements might I wisely fit into a minute, ten-second (70 second total) program, how many jumps, spins, etc. I skate with decent speed and solid edges. I would think this would be enough time for me to have at least one combination, two isolated jumps, and two spins, maybe a small footwork pass. My hardest combo would likely be sal/loop, while my spins would likely be camel and attitude, my two strongest.

backspin
01-24-2003, 04:03 PM
I'd say it will depend some on the music. You want a balanced program, but you also want it to fit w/ the music. I'd say the number of jumps/spins you're planning may be good--you may have time for a couple more jumps. Jumps don't take long to do, as opposed to spins, which are time hogs. You'll figure it out as you get into the choreography. Are you doing it yourself, for is your coach doing it for you?

Have fun--new programs are great! :)

sk8er1964
01-24-2003, 05:39 PM
To give you an example - my program is 2:40, so basically a bit more than twice as long as yours. I have 5 jump/combos, three spins (although two are combos) and associated footwork and moves in the field. Believe me, this is a packed program. You want to show off your best stuff, and have good flow between elements. Most importantly, you need a program that is fun for you to do! Hopefully you have a coach to work with you to put it together.

tidesong
01-24-2003, 11:14 PM
My first program was 1:30 and I did two jumps, one combination spin, foot work and spirals, but that is because it was under ISI rules. I had time for quite alot of inbetween connecting steps, so what you suggested sounds reasonable. You could just try with those elements and if you run out of time you can decide to change some things.

vesperholly
01-25-2003, 12:00 AM
A shorter program is a great place to show off unique combinations or sequences to get in the difficulty as well as make your program stand out from the crowd.

Jocelyn