View Full Version : Which skates for me?

pink_flower77
06-06-2002, 04:47 PM
Hi everybody!
A brief history of my skating: I've been skating for 8 months(well, actually 6, becuase i haven't been on the ice for 2 months).
I got my toe loop, salchow, flip and lutz jumps. I've got a scratch spin, sit spin, and working on camels. My coach is very happy that it only took her an 1/2 hour to teach me the flip and i landed it in that half hour.

Anyways, I've been skating on used skates, but they've been incrediable. However, they are too big in the toe, and i have found myself scrunching up my toes, and the leather is flopping a bit, which is not good for my ankles 8O . I need advice on which boots and blades to buy. I have to add that my budget is very low, since i am a student, and the most i can spend is about $200-250. I am 85 pounds, and 5'2', and 14 years old. Please, anyone with a recommendation for me, please reply. Thank you!

-Vicki

1lutz2klutz
06-06-2002, 06:01 PM
Go to http://www.ice-sk8.com/howto.htm They give a good discussion of which boots are best for which level of skating, as well as the different types of blades. With this information you can go to your local skate shop and find which boots/blades will fit your budget as well as your skating level. Good luck!

Michigansk8er
06-06-2002, 06:25 PM
Maybe you will be lucky and find another pair of good used skates. Last year I hosted an exchange student that needed new skates. I asked around the rink and found a GREAT pair of custom SPTeri's w/Pattern99 blades for well within your price range, and the fit was perfect. Be sure to get some input from your coach too. Good luck!!!!

pink_flower77
06-07-2002, 11:36 PM
thanks!
I don't think another pair of used skates will do me, unless its a mircle or something, lol. I will be starting axels and doubles soon. I think I need a blade that can help me with centering on spins, since im more of a natural jumper than a natural spinner.

:)
-Vicki