View Full Version : US Adult Nationals Practice Ice?

Raine
01-23-2003, 08:02 AM
Greetings.

I have a question for those of you who have attended US ANs (esp. in Ann Arbor) in the past.

I registered for my first ANs a couple of weeks ago. :)

Just yesterday, however, I realized that I missed the deadline for practice ice pre-registration. (I guess I never submitted the form because I wasn't sure about my arrival time in AA.) Am I going to have problems finding practice ice? I'm concerned that by the time I arrive (Tuesday PM), all the ice time will be booked at the Ice Cube and perhaps at other local rinks.

Thanks,
Raine

sk8er1964
01-23-2003, 08:20 AM
Raine - I sent you a PM.

manleywoman
01-23-2003, 10:16 AM
You should be fine. Not all the practive ice gets sold by the time you get there, so you may be able to buy a few while you're there.

Frankly, I have found that I don't like doing the practice ice provided at Nationals because they cram a lot of skaters onto a rink for only 30 minutes. And since we're not used to each other, and don't know where everyone is going, it makes it tough to make it productive. Plus since some of the skaters are nervous on the practice ice (if it's before an event for example), the sessions can feel really tense. If you will have a car, investigate practicing at another rink if you really want to get a lot of work done.

I use the practice ice strictly to get used to the rink and to mark my visuals that I'll be seeing while competing. So in that sense it's extremely useful. But I don't expect to get a lot of elements done.

Black Sheep
01-23-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by manleywoman
Frankly, I have found that I don't like doing the practice ice provided at Nationals because they cram a lot of skaters onto a rink for only 30 minutes. And since we're not used to each other, and don't know where everyone is going, it makes it tough to make it productive. Plus since some of the skaters are nervous on the practice ice (if it's before an event for example), the sessions can feel really tense.

I can relate. Last year, I was at a packed practice session working on my Interp. program. I didn't have to do axels or doubles, so I figured I was safe enough. Wrong! At one point, I nearly collided with a woman who happened to be doing her program. I told her I was sorry, and asked if she was okay, but she didn't seem too forgiving. Another woman, who turned out to be her coach, gave me a dirty look. My mom said that this other skater kept doing split-2toe combos over and over and over, so I figured she must have been practicing for Championship Masters....

You see, this is the kind of behavior I just can't stand at competitions. I hate it when I try to be nice and people refuse to be nice in return! :evil:

flo
01-23-2003, 01:54 PM
It can get rather sticky at Nationals practice, and more so later in the week. By then I also found that the volunteers were well worn. At one Nationals I was there at the begining of the week and went to get ice. I had not tested silver yet, as I was primarily doing interpretive and pairs. I told the volunteer that I would be fine on the silver session to practice interpretive, as I was a juvenile pair. After much convincing, I got a slot on the session, and it was fine. Later that week I went to get another slot for interpretive finals. I told the woman I was a bronze test, but that a silver session would be ok as well. She put me on the masters practice. It was interesting.

It has been better these past years, but you really do have to watch yourself. One great advantage of Ann Arbor and Lake Placid, is that they have done this, and done it well before and have great experience and wonderful people to draw on.
Last year I flew in the weekend before and had arranged for private ice with a couple of friends up until Tuesday. It was great. This year I'm going the night before my event, and have one practice. Also note that there is a change in the official practices this year in that they may not be on your competition surface.