View Full Version : Old adult vs. the axel

Michigansk8er
06-06-2002, 11:37 AM
Now that I've passed my Silver FS test it's time to face learning an axel. Over the past 2 years, I've touched base with some preliminary axel skills (waltz/loop, 1/2 axels, etc), but have never really practiced any of it. Now it's time to make up my mind if I should even bother. Part of me wants to try, and the other part figures it's a hopeless endeavor that will only end up in a broken body (I skate Class III, and I'm tall, so that is two strikes against me, along with a slowing down reaction time........that no matter how much I try to will myself to to speed it up, it won't cooperate).

Any adult axel successes/failures anyone can share? How long did it take you to learn, how old were you? How about adults that have decided to give it up as a hopeless cause, etc.

Thanks!

Integrity
06-06-2002, 12:44 PM
Me too!

I am also ready to start learning the Axel. I have been working on the waltz/loop and waltz/backspin for a few weeks. I too wonder if an adult in her 30's can learn an axel. I've heard of kids who have taken years to learn this jump. Ugh.

How does one cross his/her legs in the air? Is there a thought to cross during the jump? I can't imagine having time to think of crossing in the short time one is in the air.

flippet
06-06-2002, 01:04 PM
Re: the crossing legs thing. I may be [b:83521b36cb]completely[/b:83521b36cb] off track here, because I don't even have a loop, flip or lutz, let alone an axel, and thus have no "need" to cross my legs in a jump, but I was thinking about it the other day anyway. The way the idea came across in my brain is, once you leave the ice, leave your legs right where they are, and think about moving your body and especially your hips around the central axis of the jump. Just like a tetherball (picture a tetherball upside down, perhaps), if you leave the legs alone and move the hips instead, the legs will wrap and cross on their own.

I remember trying this concept out with a toe loop, and even with a single, it seemed to be improving. I just stepped through a toe loop here in my office, and concentrated on the feeling of 'picking', then I left my feet on the ground and pivoted around on my toes---by the time you pivot around to 'land' backwards again, your legs ought to be a Twizzler! :)

I would think this would work for an axel too...jump up, then once you're in the backspin position (the first 1/2 rotation), that's where the 'leave the legs alone and spin the hips' concept comes into play--complete the last full rotation by leaving the legs alone, and you should be well crossed by the time you land----provided you've got the time to get all the rotation in, that is! :lol:

As I said, this is coming from someone with just an idea, no 'proof' to back it up other than my own sketchy experience. If I'm crazy, just let me know!!

TashaKat
06-06-2002, 02:13 PM
YES you can do an axel!!! I haven't 'got' mine yet but it was improving despite the obstacles (losing THREE free coaches, damaging my knee ....). I am DETERMINED that the axel will be mine one day .... soon ..... please ;) I've tried all doubles up to Lutz and actually fluked a 2flip once :) I haven't actually worked on any doubles recently but I do believe that the axel and doubles will come given time and practise .... and time .......

My advice would be if you want it, go for it! How many 30-somethings can say that they've even ATTEMPTED an axel???

Go for it (if you want to .... and you SEEM to want to) and let us know how you get on :)

BTW my pic shows my sad attempt at an axel ...... I'm nearly (eek) 39! .... [i:02882d575b]oh, duh! wrong board!!! .... you can see a GIF of my axel (with the landing from a different attempt!) on Free Skate World (http://pub72.ezboard.com/ffreeskateworldfrm5)[/i:02882d575b]

L x

flo
06-06-2002, 02:22 PM
Hi,
For me the crossing in air comes with comfort with the jump. My feet didn't start to cross right away with the single or doubles until I felt I had time to get in, cross, and get out. The weight of the boot also helps the feet cross in air. I started with the axel, but was not very consistient. I went on to the double salchow and having much more success. I have a better feel for it, and can go into it with full speed without hesitation. My feet are crossed, and I've landed it a few times. My problem now it that my free toe touches down on the way out. Now I try to land on one foot or fall.
Play around with it for a bit, and see how you like it. Also, get some padding.

Michigansk8er
06-06-2002, 03:24 PM
Hmmmm, I'm 48 and I believe my chances would have been much greater 10 years ago.....still, I certainly plan to give it a try and my full effort for the time being. I'm considering inventing a padded bodysuit. Or how about a padded rubber one so we could bounce back off of the ice when we fall? :D

Doubles.........oh my, just the thought. If I ever get there, I know it won't be a sal. My best chance would probably be a toe or toe walley. Time will tell.

What's everyone's experience with the harness? I have a pretty much out of the harness coach.

kayskate
06-06-2002, 03:49 PM
I am 35 and worked on the axel for a long time w/ two different coaches, one who pushed me before I was ready and didn't seem to know much about working w. adults. I had some success w/ coach2 who retrained my other singles first then used a harness. I could land maybe 50% of the time, usually about 1/4 or 1/8 short. It was small and not a good position. Then I started falling, ugly falls, scary falls. I stopped doing axels and focused on 2sals. had more success about 75% and less under-rotation. Now I have a new coach who has corrected more technical probs and believes I can learn an axel and doubles. However, right now I am concentrating on footwork and MITF. I believe skating w. flow and power in interesting patterns will make me ultimately a better all-around skater than a beginnerish axel. I'm not saying I won't try axels again, I just have different priorities right now.

Kay

flo
06-06-2002, 03:59 PM
Hi,
I really like the harness. I get the feeling of how the jump is suppose to feel, and there's less hesitation in going for it. That's also how I know it's primarily a confidence thing with the axel. In the harness, it's fine. I can land them without any help (other than keeping the rope out of my face). Out of it, it's not as aggressive and strong. What I want to try now are throw doubles, also with a lot of padding!

blue111moon
06-07-2002, 09:03 AM
I claim to having the having the longest working axel in history without ever landing one - well, a former coach says I landed one back in 1988 but since I was sitting on my butt at the time, I don't believe her. :)

I've been through two coaches, several ankle sprains, a couple surgeries, poor health, weight gain, and I'm still plugging away at it. I gain a couple of degrees of rotation a year so the way I'm going it should only take me another - oh, 30 or 40 years to get it down. Everyone needs a goal.

Actually, since I'm at edge jumps than the toe jumps, it looks as if I will probably have an axel - and even a double salchow - before I get that #@$%& lutz back. I haven't done one of those since 1995.

I find that the harness screws up my balance and forces me to change posture. This year I have progressed from the stand-still approach to the axel to stepping up into it from crossovers which is helping my rotation somewhat. I'm not at the foot position stage yet ( I learn things one body part at a time); my focus is on turning the head over my shoulder as I step up.

CanAmSk8ter
06-07-2002, 05:01 PM
I'm only 20, and I learned my axel at 13, so I can't really share a personal story. But I skate with a lady who I think is like 35 or so now and she has a really nice axel, probably about 80-85% consistant. She passed her Gold free last year, and I don't know for sure but I don't think she skated as a kid. When I met her she had just passed into Freestyle 4 and I think that was four or five years ago.

Michigansk8er
06-07-2002, 06:12 PM
Bluemoon.....I just love your drive and ambition. I hope some of it rubs off on me. It's terrific! I need some inspiration here. I'm so totally chicken. I didn't skate as a kid. I did skate some in my mid-20's, then started up again after 20 years off the ice. This jumping business is scary at my age. Well, the axel variety anyhow.....and any combination ending in a loop. I LOVE doing flips and flying camels and that sort of thing. I guess I have waltz jump fear (is that ridiculous, or what?), so you can imagine where that puts an axel. Still, I got out there today and worked on my little 1/2 axels (which is torture in my week old new boots). Amazingly, I overrotated a few. This is giving me some hope.

blue111moon
06-10-2002, 07:08 AM
Leslie, don't admire my ambition - I haven't any - or much, anyway. If I had more, I'd probobably have the darned axel by now! :)

But for inspiration, I look to two friends who started skating in their 30's, are both in their 50's now and work axels consistantly. One has landed some, the other gets one or two a year. I'm younger, although not by much, so if they can do it, I can too!

We will not, however, discuss the lutz. That's one jump that I don't care if I ever master. Freaky thing!!!