View Full Version : Music

mskater13
01-22-2003, 03:35 PM
Ok, I'm having a lot of trouble finding music.. can anyone suggest any strong music pieces for male skaters?

garyc254
01-22-2003, 03:52 PM
Check out the soundtrack from Man in the Iron Mask.

Some very powerful music.

dbny
01-22-2003, 04:02 PM
Jurassic Park, Andrew Lloyd Weber's variations on Paganini (not the overused parts, of course)

Figureskates
01-22-2003, 05:02 PM
I am planning to take selections from Jurassic Park since I was born about then.............

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

dani
01-22-2003, 05:08 PM
I think it is a little over done, but one of the guys at my rink is skating to Robin Hood. (Kevin Costner version) A guy at my other rink is skating to a more traditional russian sounding piece which is quite effective. I don't know what the piece is called, but it is the type of music where they do the dancing with the really bent knees and arms crossed and kicking their legs out. Ok, that is a horrible description - Help! ;-)

Good luck!!
Danielle

ddpskater
01-22-2003, 06:03 PM
My son has skated to The Who (Tommy overture), Jethro Tull -(Locomotive something or other), and is now working on a Chicago (24 to 4 or ...) Classic Rock and roll comes across pretty boyish/manly -- He wanted Springsteen Born in the USA, but the lyrics are over the top for a nine year old.

mskater13
01-22-2003, 06:07 PM
Thanks I'll have to check those out. I always LOVED the man in the iron mask but it's soo overused. Any more suggestions, I appreciate it! :D

Figureskates
01-22-2003, 06:18 PM
Since the rink I skate at here in MA has a new sound system, I have been experimenting with some Irish music...When I have the ice to myself, I have put on some Natalie McMasters and some Clannad and there are some selections there that have definite possibilities....

ddpskater
01-22-2003, 06:28 PM
Always thought Englishman in NY by Sting would be a good spotlight for a guy.

love2sk8
01-22-2003, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by dani
I don't know what the piece is called, but it is the type of music where they do the dancing with the really bent knees and arms crossed and kicking their legs out. Ok, that is a horrible description - Help! ;-)

Are you thinking about Gypsy or Russian Folk??

jazzpants
01-23-2003, 01:32 AM
Oh, i hate to give away some that I really like but I think my skating will probably never been powerful enough to do these...so...

(this is assuming that you're allowed lyrics...)

US3 - Cantaloop
Wise Guys - Start the Commotion
U2 - Elevation (Tomb Raider Version)
Jump! - Van Helen

Yazmeen
01-23-2003, 09:35 AM
If you're allowed vocals, look for CD's by a group out of Texas called
"8 and1/2 Souvenirs." Their first album is great fun (jazz, rockabilly, a little of everything) and I'm using its title cut "Happy Feet" for my footwork program. The have some sharp instrumentals on this CD too, including their version of Django Reinhardt's "Minor Swing." I used the "Chocolat" version last year--the Souvenirs do it more guitar jazzed and in more of a minor key.

The reason I mention them: Their second album (Sorry, blanking on the name) has a cover of ZZTop's "Sharp Dressed Man" but its done big band style with the female lead singer. Its very strong and sharp and a great program for a guy, in a tux like costume, of course!

Black Sheep
01-23-2003, 05:38 PM
It's probably been played to death, but for music for a guy skater I'm partial to Don Quixote. 8-)

mskater13
01-23-2003, 09:56 PM
Thank you all so much,I appreciate it. I did skate to Don Quixote a few years back, I loved that music.. but I don't want to go back to it.. I think I overused it myself! :D For those of you who may be wondering my name is Michael Goldberg I'm from the New England region.. I probably should have stated who I was when I first signed up for this board huh? Oh well.. now you know 8-) Thanks again!

LWalsh
01-24-2003, 09:58 AM
Somebody will probably want to strangle me for suggestiong this...but Bond has a new CD out with a cut called Bond on Bond which is a slightly techno version of the James Bond theme. It is really cool. I can just picture a male skater in a suit as James Bond.

Of course if this CD ends up liek the last one, there will be like a billion skaters using it.

Lara

peachstatesk8er
01-24-2003, 11:28 AM
E.S. Posthumus (group) - Unearthed (album) They did music for Spider Man as well as many movie trailers and commercials. Great, unusual, strong music.

http://www.tracksounds.com/reviews/unearthed.htm

Skatingsarah
01-24-2003, 07:18 PM
Im not familar with classical peices but soundtrack wise I think that peices from, The Iron Mask, The Dragon, Gladiator and possable Pearl Harbor. These peices maybe over used in some aspects but there must be a reason imo :lol:

Aussie Willy
01-25-2003, 12:00 AM
I like the Matrix soundtrack which a few skaters have used, but for a guy I think something techno is a good way to go. Maybe the piece that B&K skated to at 99 Worlds is really good (something with love parade in the title I think).

Another suggestion is to listen to Fatboy Slim's first album. Recently a woman at our rink used one of the tracks off that which was really effective. Probably better for a short program but still pretty good.

Also Darude's Sandstorm is pretty good. It is fast but keeps you moving.

Another suggestion is Nightmare by Brainbug. And try listening to some Yello (German electronic band). They have a few albums which have quite a few instrumental tracks. Just check out some of the CD sites like CDNow and Amazon and you may be able to listen to samples.

itsgr82sk8
01-25-2003, 07:23 AM
The soundtrack from Back draft and The Rock haave some strong pieces.

singerskates
01-25-2003, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by mskater13
Thank you all so much,I appreciate it. I did skate to Don Quixote a few years back, I loved that music.. but I don't want to go back to it.. I think I overused it myself! :D For those of you who may be wondering my name is Michael Goldberg I'm from the New England region.. I probably should have stated who I was when I first signed up for this board huh? Oh well.. now you know 8-) Thanks again!

My Idea would be the Elvis Stojko approach of finding music. Go and see a few new films that tickle your fancy and then see if there is dramatic bold skating music used in the films. Make sure it's something new but sounds somewhat familiar. You want a fast not to strong beginning, then a more lyrical middle and then another fast paced but extremely strong end piece. You may have to use multiple tracks from a movie CD to tell the story of the movie you wish to portray. You have to feel moved by this music. So you must pick it out. Your coach and choreographer are not skating to this music. You are.

Michael, I edit and remaster music for skaters. I can email you a few sample tracks of the work I've done.

For now, hit the movies.

Brigitte Laskowski
Adult skater from Canada/singersongwriter of Nanosecond

singerskates
01-25-2003, 10:07 AM
Oh, I just had this idea. You know how movies have movie trailers? They usually have bits and pieces of sample music from the movies they are advertising. Some of these are yet to come out in theatres. You can find many movie trailers online, Michael.

mskater13
01-25-2003, 11:24 AM
Thanks a lot, I'll try looking for a bit more and ill send you a PM if I want to hear some of your work. Thanks again. 8-)