View Full Version : Great or gruesome: Lessons/practices 19-25 January 2003

Mrs Redboots
01-19-2003, 07:27 AM
This was the sort of morning when we came away from the rink going "Wow!" It wasn't that we had skated especially well - we didn't - but we learnt such a lot!

For instance..... we learnt that if I really skate in time with my counting, I can do the Swing Dance Mohawk - not well, but I can do it.

We learnt that the reason why I sometimes have trouble following Robert when he is doing a swing roll is that he starts to move his shoulders before he is at the cusp of the lobe.

We learnt that Robert needs to swing his shoulders round more when he does the Swing Dance Mohawk, so that he does it straight into my arms, not expecting me to catch up.....

All of which was pretty great. As was the fact that our coach said that all our work on swing rolls and chasses was paying off, and after we had done the Swing Dance once, made us work on the end pattern for the rest of the lesson!

We did a pretty gruesome Fiesta Tango, though, not in our lesson - got at the wrong angle and there was no way in the world I was going to be able to step forward for the restart.

Our practice was delayed by the ice having to be cut - the lad who usually does it on a Sunday morning is away, and someone came in to cut it but found nobody had switched the water on, so the cut was delayed by 30 minutes, delaying everybody else's start.

And, sadly, I have learnt that the BBC is not going to cover Europeans at all - and we no longer have British Eurosport. :cry:

JDC1
01-19-2003, 01:44 PM
Sat night -
Gruesome -whacked my poor right knee again on double 3's - OUCH.

Great - I got some decent spins going, couldn't cross my leg (DARN) but I was spinning (if not in an attractive position) on the average 10 revolutions. Spirals felt really nice.

Sunday morning -
Wore knee pad so ofcourse I didn't hit my knee.

Gruesome - spins, ofcourse were erratic and yuck for the most part.

Great - my salchow showed up, not big or airy but it was there. Waltz jumps actually landed on my toe!! My spirals were really nice and secure, I think it's time I get a picture taken so I can see how to improve them.

mikawendy
01-19-2003, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by JDC1
Sunday morning -
Wore knee pad so ofcourse I didn't hit my knee.

JDC1, what kind of knee pads do you wear? I got some at Sports Authority that are for multisport use (volleyball, etc.) and they're okay but really thick and kind of unsightly, even though my pants hide them some. When I'm working on something that I want the pads for, though, I just put up with it.

mikawendy
01-19-2003, 05:39 PM
This is for Friday and Saturday since I didn't have a chance to post then.

Great!!!! A local college radio station was broadcasting at the outdoor rink I sometime skate at. It has been so cold that no one else was there for the first 15 mins of the evening session on Friday. The ice was GREAT, better than sometimes in indoor rinks, and the music was better than the sameol-sameol that gets played. It was really fun to have all the room--I could stroke around both ways and practiced swing rolls and spirals on my bad side.

FI closed mohawks are doing better--they're more closed and I'm skating into them more.

1-foot spins are doing well--my instructor now wants me to spin with my leg in front of me in preparation for learning the scratch spin. How exciting!!!!

Gruesome:
LFI3s. Arg. I asked my instructor if I could work on FI3s during class because they're just stinkin horrible right now. I can tell I just need to practice the right side more; it's nearly happening correctly. But the left side, I can't seem to hold that FI edge with my weight into the circle. I'll either be on a flat or be on an FI edge with the sensation that only my torso is into the circle and that my hips and most of my weight is out of the circle. Time to practice that edge and then hopefully the turn will work out better...

Edited to say: Congrats to Kimmie Meissner, the Novice champion at Nationals!! I don't know her personally but some of the girls at a rink that I skate at are friends with her. I think she might have skated there before going to where she currently trains.

melanieuk
01-20-2003, 07:49 AM
Great
An enjoyable skate but always hard work after the weekend - I'm always tired at the weekend because of nightshift.

A couple of reasonable lutzes.

Still can't get the gruesome backspin :roll: and tried some back sits from inside 3 turn entry and from change.
I have the strangest feeling I am never going to get the upright backspin before I get the camel or sit.
At least the camel goes on a back outside edge! Pity I can't hold it for longer than one and a half revs though. :??

I was asked if I was doing the Adult Nationals! 8O
I haven't got a programme, have no music and can't do any grace moves apart from spirals (I don't consider my lunge/drag "graceful"! ;) )
Apart from all that, I'd be too nervous, skate worse and be mortified! :roll:

No lesson today.
Did field moves twice. The gruesome ones remain so (RBO 3s with mohawks) and the back swingroll things.

My camel spin is back. Was rising too much on the toe prior to the 3 turn. It won't go any faster though. :cry:

Till Wednesday......

sk8er1964
01-20-2003, 08:18 AM
Great:

My lesson on Friday was terrific. Coach liked the first part of the new program (I'm working with another coach for choreography). My confidence on the double jumps is coming back thanks to the work that we did last week. I've landed four double toes. The axel is back and as confident as it ever was (maybe I should whack my head more often - maybe it knocked the sense back into me ;) ). It's amazing how good a coach's "I'm pleased with your work" can make you feel. :D

Finally joined the club that I wanted to join, and skated my first club ice. When I skate during the week, I'm usually the highest level skater there. It was nice to skate on a session with an adult who's at a higher level than me (she's a master-level) - now I've got somebody I can watch for tips and such!

I'm meeting with the choreographer/coach today - hopefully will get the rest of my program finished. I can't wait!

Gruesome:

Last week I banged my arm on a fall and the darn thing still hurts. It's my right arm, so even when I'm not skating it gets tons of use - like yesterday cleaning all my kitchen cupboards. Had to wrap it on Saturday to skate.

tidesong
01-20-2003, 09:38 AM
Great:
Pushed myself to do my program the whole thing through even when I missed the combination jump, and fell on my double salchow and axel.

Gruesome:
That made it a one jump program... only my lutz was clean and I don't know if I flutzed it coz I din bother to check.
At the end of the program my spiral turned into the awful airplane thing because I was too tired to lift my leg... how awful...

Great:
I tried the program a second time without the double sal and axel... I just singled them and I got in a decent spiral but fell on it!!! arrgh.

After that I practised the program in bits. It was pretty ok that way.

And the other stuff, Great:
Flying camel still around, did two big axels... but still killed alot of them... Double toe-loop improved!!! I finally got the timing of the jump although not good enough to land the jump yet...

flo
01-20-2003, 11:10 AM
Great: skated at club and on Sunday and ran through my program at both. The energy is comming back, and things went well. I'm waiting for my paint supplies to arrrive so I can work on my costume for the Northern Virginia competition.

twinkle
01-20-2003, 11:14 AM
Great:

Passed my inter-bronze field moves this morning, finally! I'm actually looking forward to working on Bronze, I've been doing these for so long, but not any more. :D

batikat
01-20-2003, 11:38 AM
Congrats Twinkle on passing the field moves. I don't know much about the Bronze ones (except my daughter fell backwards and winded herself trying one of them last week!) as I doubt I'll ever get that far but it will be good for you to have something new to practice. I've been doing the prelim ones for years on and off but am tempted to skip them by doing the prelim dance moves instead and then see what the new format will be next year. The daft thing is the novice dance moves (which I passed last year) included forward cross-rolls which is one of the prelim field moves !!!!:??

icenut84
01-20-2003, 12:44 PM
This is from Saturday, first chance I've had to write it up.

Great:

Worked on alternating FO3s with crossover. They are getting better, although I still find it hard to do the BI-FO choctaw after the turn. Needs more practice.

Went through the 14-step, British (prelim) waltz, Swing Dance and Fiesta Tango in dance lesson. Had a heart attack during the Swing Dance when my foot hit the foot of another skater while I was going backwards on one foot! Eek. Was ok though.

Worked on spins and loops in my freestyle lesson. The entry of my 1 foot spin is better. Spin itself - some of them were ok and got slightly better.

Turns were ok, pivots good-ish, forward spirals ok.

While I was practicing spins later on, I decided on a whim to try some anti-clockwise ones (I'm usually clockwise). To my great surprise, I could do it! I did some on 2 feet, then 1 foot from the FO edge, and although they felt a little strange, it actually felt easier than my normal direction and I got several smooth rotations. I was pretty surprised!! Entry from back crossovers didnt' really work though, but I told my coach later about the spins and we're going to do them next week in my lesson.

Grusome:

Didn't land a single loop on my left foot. :( The closest I got was landing on my left but with my right toe aswell. My coach reckons it's like a safety net, I really need to work on keeping all my weight over my left side and trusting myself to land on one foot (the left), and to just keep that right foot off the ice!

Spins weren't too hot. What's new.

RO mohawk was a bit dodgy, and back 3s didn't have a whole lot of flow out of them.

Crowded!!!!!! Again.

melanieuk
01-20-2003, 02:52 PM
Well done twinkle!
I've been working on Inter Bronze field moves for a year now.
I feel miles away from testing them though!
Congratulations!

DancinDiva
01-20-2003, 07:43 PM
Another GREAT lesson! I just having the time of my life! Oh, sure, so all I got tonight was foward crossovers, but hey, it was only my second lesson.I actually started right crossovers last week but that was towards the end of the lesson when there wasn't much time left. Tonight I spent most of my time on left forard crossovers, and now they feel almost as secure as the right ones. I only fell once, but not too hard and it didn't hurt at all. I also worked a bit on skating backwards. I'm not going real fast yet, but at least I have not fallen! Anyway, boring as that may sound to those of you who are more advanced (which I guess is just about all of you!), that's all I did, but I'm happy with myself!

dbny
01-20-2003, 08:08 PM
Because of the holiday today, I had my lesson on a crowded public session. Nevertheless...

Great
Did my first ever one foot spin from a wind up, really stepping into it, 3 turn etc. Got at least 6 revs...and hubby saw it :lol: :lol: :lol: I had just finished my lesson, in which coach had me do a deep LFO edge into 3 turn and spin. When I went to practice it, I just suddenly put all the steps together in my mind and tried the spin from wind up and it happened. I couldn't stop grinning for about ten minutes. It was a real thrill.

I'm beginning to get the RFI Mohawk after crossover that I need to transition from F cross strokes to B cross strokes. Don't know why this is so hard, except maybe that I'm almost on a flat at the end of the rink.

FI threes a little better. Can once again do the R, but still have to two foot the L.

Waltz jump was still there today.

Gruesome
My success with the waltz jump prompted coach to introduce me to the Salchow :cry: I used to do these on roller skates, with an entry from B crossover. I even remember doing them on the ground after I quit skating, but they sure seem far away now.

FO threes are in the same limbo as ever. I think I really must start some kind of exercise to tighten and strengthen my stomach muscles.

CanAmSk8ter
01-20-2003, 09:52 PM
Great:
American Waltz this a.m. Felt light and waltzy and I didn't have any problems with shoulders or closed hips. Pattern was right where it should be on every run-through. Mom came to watch, as she had the day off, and an adult friend I haven't skated with lately told her I'm looking really good. At least one dance went well. :roll:

Gruesome:
Rocker Foxtrot this a.m. No way in h*ll am I testing it next month if I don't get some improvement going, like, tomorrow. Will have to get back on coach's case about working my butt off on the American and testing that instead, because I honestly think it's closer to passing than the Rocker.

Right knee has been sore off and on for about two weeks, but has been more "on" than off since Thursday or Friday. Usually these things go away by themselves, but they sure are annoying in the meantime.

Debbie S
01-21-2003, 03:47 PM
Congrats to twinkle and dbny!

Great:

Forward power 3's are good, except for an occasional tendency to scrape my toe pick on the turn. Spirals are good, except that I need to stretch more off-ice to increase my flexibility (I can get my leg high enough, but I'd like it to be higher) - any tips?

Gruesome:

Loop jump is still nonexistent. I started doing the back crossover entry, then the skating director at my rink, who was helping out w/ lessons told me it's easier to do it from an RFI turn. So I started trying (unsuccessfully) to do it that way. Then, this past week, my regular instructor (skating director was otherwise occupied during our lesson time) told me that the RFI turn method is harder, so I went back to the crossover method again. Any thoughts on the RFI turn/crossover entrance? Anyway, I still haven't really done a complete jump yet, although I do think a result of my aborted attempts has been my acquisition of a back spin, so I guess these past two weeks haven't been a total loss.

We worked on sit spins for the first time. I can tell this is going to be painful - I guess my bend is OK, but I know a good sit spin should "sit" more. I've been practicing shoot-the-ducks, but, of course, I run into the same problem. Sigh. And I'm only up to 1 rev before I lose control of the spin and need to put my free foot down.

flo
01-21-2003, 03:59 PM
Great: Skated to day at lunch. The program parts went reasonably well. The rink has a bubble over it, and it was interesting to watch (from on the ice) the snow sliding off the bubble.
Flying cammel from new entry is getting better, and I added a couple brackets to the program. Now to paint my skirt!

sk8er1964
01-21-2003, 04:07 PM
Got the second 1/2 of my program done.

It was quite a treat to be working with a past olympian. I was fortunate that she was willing to work with me at the request of my coach. It's amazing what this person knows (and by contrast what I don't know 8O ) and how talented she is. Now - I just hope that I'm up to the program! 2 1/2 weeks to my first competition in 2 decades.....

MissIndigo
01-21-2003, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Debbie S

Loop jump is still nonexistent. I started doing the back crossover entry, then the skating director at my rink, who was helping out w/ lessons told me it's easier to do it from an RFI turn. So I started trying (unsuccessfully) to do it that way. Then, this past week, my regular instructor (skating director was otherwise occupied during our lesson time) told me that the RFI turn method is harder, so I went back to the crossover method again. Any thoughts on the RFI turn/crossover entrance?

The RFI turn method is harder when you are traveling at speed (it sure is for me) as you have to check the three turn with the free foot in front of you, and you must keep your shoulders and hips square. It is also key, when using this method, to keep your right hip low. Otherwise, if the right hip pops up, your loop will become a half-loop. Also, remember to straighten your jumping leg and roll gently off the toe pick into the air.

I learned the loop jump this way. It made it easier in the beginning as the three turn entry helped generate some rotational momentum. Checking the jump was the hard part, and I had some scary and painful falls on my right hip when I didn't check.

I still do the majority of my loop jumps from the 3-turn entry. I can do them from the back crossover entry, but I have a tendency to prerotate my shoulders. In time I will correct this I am sure--I just need a stronger check with the right shoulder. Sometimes performing a couple of backward power 3-turns helps set up the rotation correctly, as well as the position...since I've turned around a couple times already with my right hip low and free foot crossed in front of the skating foot, I am set to jump. Gets the shoulders right too...Checking with the shoulders is a necessary and common theme no matter which entry you choose.

To trick myself into doing a loop jump, I will often do a half-rev jump, like a half-flip, immediately do a RFI 3, and then the loop jump. My favorite thing to practice as of late is footwork into a ballet hop into a loop jump. This sequence challenges me into checking that 3-turn properly, and it's an attractive-looking combo when done well!

Good luck with your loop! Hope this advice helps some!

MissIndigo
01-21-2003, 08:02 PM
Great:

Just being back on the ice this week! Last week I was fighting stomach flu and was so weak I couldn't skate. So, I am starting to build strength gradually again.

Squeaked some loop jumps out yesterday even if I didn't feel like I had any business jumping. Coach was right there to correct me if something went wrong.

Finally decided to enter my second set of power 3 turns from crossover, stroke, stroke, left swing roll, then right power threes. Works great!

Gruesome:

Not being able to skate my usual length of time--skated light for about 45 minutes yesterday, skated for about 30 minutes today. Will skate for a short time tomorrow.

Worrying about my moves test in three weeks...ugh. I don't want to put off trying any longer though.

garyc254
01-21-2003, 09:12 PM
WAY TO GO DBNY & TWINKLE!!!:D :D :D

My Monday night skate was a little blah as I was feeling "under the weather". Not much motivation to skate. I didn't want to miss seeing my young (and some older) friends, though.

One young girl at the rink has decided that I'm the only person who can lace up and tie her skates properly, so she seeks me out, grabs my hand, and sweetly asks if I'll tie them for her. Of course I can't resist, so while her mom is tying her brothers skates, I tie hers. :lol:

Another young girl (maybe 5 or 6 years old) who used to take lessons has now joined me on the freestyle session. She doesn't want to take lessons, so we skate together and I try to fit some lessons into our "play". Last night we raced each other doing forward and then backward swizzles. She chased me around the circle while we were doing one foot pumps. We tried to see who could go the farthest on a one foot glide. Now I've got to come up with some new games for next week. :lol:

By the time the adult only session along with my lesson started, my hip joints were sore and I was feeling pretty weak. Did some front and back crossovers, edges on the line, and outside threes on the line that kept scratching on the left. I think it was just my weariness. I only stayed about 15 minutes after my lesson to catch up on gossip with some adult friends, then called it a night.

Maybe this "bug" will be gone by Thursday night's skate. I hope.

Mrs Redboots
01-22-2003, 06:56 AM
Wow - DB, I can't spin like that yet!!! Well done!

Today's lesson went really well. We started with working on changes of edge - he says they are improving. They aren't totally reliable as yet - I lost it completely at one stage. I think I hadn't stepped properly on to an edge, and there was no way I could change it! But they are coming, and he says they are much better.

Then we did patch - oh dear! I simply couldn't get it all together. Himself says I need to learn about the running edge, how to keep an edge going without a push. And, of course, how not to rotate my shoulders too soon, and all that sort of thing. This is being very good for my skating!

And we finished by working on Mohawks. As in the Swing Dance and/or the Willow Waltz. My bugbear. I think he finally realised the sort of problems I have, as I had to push off on an inside edge round the hockey goal, and (allegedly) do a Mohawk at the top of the lobe. Well, yes, um.... but we persevered, with me holding his hand. Oddly, I could do a closed Mohawk quite easily, but an Open one? No way..... But then he said I wasn't rotating at all, and I should look over my shoulder back the way I had come. At which point, another coach came over to speak to him, and I just went on working while they had their conversation (I will keep the record straight by adding that the second coach apologised profusely for disturbing our lesson - it was something that couldn't wait, as it was to do with the school class that was about to come in). Anyway, although I couldn't get to the top of the lobe, it all suddenly came together, and the Mohawks were greatly improved!

So in my practice I walked through dances like the Willow Waltz and the Swing Dance, trying to get the Mohawk to time. By the end of the session, I had managed to do the Willow Waltz mohawk giving each edge very nearly (not quite) its full value, so I called it a morning! Also walked through the Foxtrot and the 14-step, neither dance I can really do well, but fun to play with for a change. And I did quite a good Fiesta solo, but I really do need a partner for the end pattern! Ah well....

All in all, a Good Skate Day! :)

melanieuk
01-22-2003, 08:44 AM
(((Debbie))) I learned the loop from the back crossovers.
I find it easier to do a loop with speed this way as my timing on the LFI 3 turn entry while going fast is too dangerous for me!

Great & Gruesome

There were tests on this morning, so some of the youngies stayed on.
Our elite ice dancers were warming up and got involved with the kids, doing some jumps and spins. I knew they could bo do triples in their singles (both Gold level free skaters and ice dancers) a few years ago, and that he can still do all doubles. But what he was doing today amazed me. I don't know if his dancing has improved his overall skating or what, but he did brilliantly fast spins and steps like Yagudin, delayed single axel like it was going for a stroll. Stroking and runs....scarily fast. How could someone so good give it up?

Anyway, I was rubbish, so won't bore with details.
Getting progressively more annoyed with the backspin.
I'm going to ignore the upright. It's consistently wrong, so it needs stripped. I'm going to get it either on the backsit or camel from a 3 turn.

Yazmeen
01-22-2003, 09:06 AM
Gruesome: Trip to Orlando last week for hubby's conference--don't get me wrong, I love Disney and had a great time, but the weather was the most MISERABLE we've had there in years during January. Rarely went above 60 degrees, windy most days. On Friday night we were watching "Fantasmic" outdoors in MGM in 31 degree weather!! Thank heaven I packed my skating team/instructor jacket and gloves, or I'd have been in trouble. Of course, this week, its warming up down there... :??

Great Ones: First lesson in more than a week yesterday: Worked on footwork, and found I can do pinwheels and "Paula's Perfect Pirouette" on both sides, so alternating sides will go in my upcoming footwork program. (PPP: Outside three, pick back with free foot, slide foot back almost like jumping, do a quick turn forward on the pick and other foot to face forward, repeat--a buddy at adult skate at another rink named it for my coach since he liked it and Paula didn't have a name for it!!!) Mohawks with crossover feet went better, too, now we just have to cut the music and get it together. Of course, I'M on a business trip next week and won't get to it until I get back.

Worked on jumps. Got intial arm position before waltz jump out of crossovers better which improved the initial outside edge and made for a better jump. I just love breakthroughs!!! Toeloop is still pretty good, waltz-toe combo getting there, waltz-toe out of crossovers, well, that was the first I tried it--pretty gruesome!!! I have to remember to transfer my weight to the "picking" leg for the toe. Still, PROGRESS!!!

Debbie S
01-22-2003, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the insight, Miss Indigo and Mel. I wonder if maybe part of my problem is that my right shoulder and hip are out of sync - I tend to feel twisted around when I take off. I also have a tendency to want to whirl myself around, when I should probably just be jumping up. It's a lot easier, though, to think about what I have to do than incorporate it on the ice as I'm doing it - my assignment for today's practice, I guess.

Mrs Redboots
01-22-2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by melanieuk
How could someone so good give it up? Probably because he discovered that dance is more challenging in many ways! I know it's not to everybody's taste, but.....

MissIndigo
01-22-2003, 01:48 PM
I also have a tendency to want to whirl myself around, when I should probably just be jumping up.

If you're feeling like you're whirling around, examine what you've been doing with your arms. When you check your rotation on the jump setup (be it from a 3 or from crossovers), make sure your left arm is straight in front of you, sort of in line with your sternum, and your right arm and shoulder checked back so that you scoop with your right arm. Think about hitting yourself under the chin. :lol: Bring your left arm straight in; think about your hands meeting comfortably in front of your chest.

If you feel whippy, I bet you could be swinging the right arm around, instead of up and through. I had that habit for the longest time so I know what sensation you're feeling.

Kat
01-22-2003, 05:00 PM
Hi, this is my first time posting in the lessons thread :) I've only posted a few questions before about my new skates... otherwise I'm mostly a lurker enjoying reading about your guys' accomplishments on ice. :) I have an exciting breakthrough in my skating to share though...

But first I'll introduce myself. I am almost 23 years old and I spent 7+ years telling myself I was too old to start skating. I started going to public sessions once a week last year in January 2002. Until then, I only skated about once or twice a year. I have never been athletic (actually couch potato better described me).

At the time, my best move was LFO 3-turns which I previously learned from one CanSkate session before I quit when I was a little kid (about 9 years old). To have both feet off the ice at one time was unimaginably scary! A few months later (March?), I taught myself back crossovers and the beginnings of a waltz jump. In about May I taught myself the toe loop and started learning to 1-foot spin. You can imagine the bad habits I picked up learning stuff on my own. 8O

I finally started going to lessons once a week in September 2002 to learn the correct way to skate. They were group lessons with a few other adults (all different levels). In November my coach fixed up my waltz jump and totally reconstructed my self-taught toe loop. I also learned the Salchow around this time. My spins were horrible. However, keep in mind I was skating on cheap CCM skates with absolutely no support. I finally got new skates mid-December. We had just started exercises to learn the loop and I needed a few weeks to break in those skates. I noticed a big difference with the new skates right away. This January, I'm back and taking 2 group lessons per week.

So now my "GREAT" lesson/practice news... Last week I decided to really go for that loop because honestly, I was bored with just doing the exercises for the loop. So earlier this week, during my practice on public ice, I got my full loop. Little did I know that during my lesson later that same day, not only would I land the loop several times for my coach, I would also learn and land the flip! I know they probably look tiny and pathetic, but they are fully rotated and have my coach's approval so they are at least recognizable. Does this count as "getting" these jumps? I am totally ecstatic about this, and I just had to share the news. :D There's no telling if I can do it again next week though... I have a question though... am I making an appropriate amount of progress for my age?

Goodness what a long post! If you have read this far, thanks for reading my long-winded introduction! :) I would just like to say how much I appreciate all you adult skaters who share your experiences about skating. I never even knew that learning skating as an adult was possible until I read about you all online. You're all an inspiration for newbies like me.

Happy skating everyone!
Katya

mikawendy
01-22-2003, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by sk8er1964
It was nice to skate on a session with an adult who's at a higher level than me (she's a master-level) - now I've got somebody I can watch for tips and such!

sk8er1964, I totally agree. I think that I skate better when I'm on ice with people who are much higher level than me. When I took an edge class, I had so many people to watch who were WAAAAAAAY better than me and I was able to do some things that I couldn't before (and can't do quite as well since). It must have something to do with having a visual model to see where the weight is and the timing of it all...

mikawendy
01-22-2003, 05:37 PM
Spirals are good, except that I need to stretch more off-ice to increase my flexibility (I can get my leg high enough, but I'd like it to be higher) - any tips?

Hi, Debbie!
I find that working on stretching AND strengthening helps. The spiral stretches the front of the body someewhat (what dancers call the y ligament but probably really the iliopsoas muscles). To stretch this area, after a workout or skating session, stand in street shoes or socks facing a wall or a ballet barre (for support and balance). Hang onto the wall/barre. Put your feet parallel, about hip width, no wider. Place one foot behind you like you're going to stretch your Achilles tendon but instead place it farther back behind you on the floor, bending your front knee. Make sure that your front leg and knee are exactly parallel and don't bend that front knee more than 90 degrees. Eventually work toward getting the back leg so far behind you that you can put the knee on the floor. (At that point you will be kneeling--similar to a lunge but with your back leg exactly parellel and slightly bent as it rests on the ground.) You will have to put your hands lower on the wall or may find it easier to put them on the floor (but at the rink, yuk!!!) You'll feel a deep stretch across your hip joint and lower abdoment. Hold the stretch at least 30 seconds, and don't bounce. (I'm not too good at explaining this, so I could show you some Saturday if we run into each other).

To strengthen, I use a chair that's relatively stable or use a countertop for balance. Stand next to it and hanging on with one or both arms for balance, go into the spiral position. I do this while I watch tv but don't have any set number of reps or how long I hold it. Make sure to straighten the knee of the free leg so that you're practicing a good position. You can wear your skate on the free or ankle weights if you want to make it harder. (Again, point the toe of the free leg in the boot to practice the right position.) Be sure to stretch your back after doing this exercise.

Edited to say that the above wall/barre stretch is how my ballet teachers prepared students to eventually do the splits--it teaches better alignment of the hips and knees and students are less likely to just "plop" down into the split with no thought of where their body is.

dbny
01-22-2003, 05:59 PM
Gary Hope you're feeling better soon. I find it hard to resist the little ones too. I don't work for the skating school anymore, but as I'm there for my daughter (who's coaching), I always end up helping with laces etc also.

Another good practice today at a pretty empty public session. The very best thing is that I finally feel like I am really enjoying skating again. It has become fun again, and I do love it. I've been struggling since returning last year from a broken wrist, which took the joy right out of it.

Great
Started the session right off with a pre-bronze pre-test for warm up. Passed myself very nicely on everything except the FO and FI alt threes, of course. At least now I can get through the whole thing without a break or sip of water.

I got through both iterations of the Waltz-8!!! That's the only thing between me and the pre-pre moves test. I'm somehow never able to get my weight over the R properly for the second RFO three. Today, I remembered that the last thing my coach had me try, was to come back to center with shoulders squared. It worked, and I kept working it from the LBO just to be sure I would remember what it felt like. It this is still there tomorrow, I'm going to look for a test session. At last :lol:

Not really great, but the one foot spin is coming along. I was able to enter it once or twice from a wind up. Biggest problem is not being right over my skate, but what I really like, is that I can feel it and have a chance to correct it.

I've decided that I must do at least three waltz jumps each time I skate. I managed four today, with one from a proper BO, step to FO for take off.

Worked more on the juv eight step mohawk pattern, and even got in a little of the pre-juv five step mohawk before the session got too crowded.

Hubby reported that my B cross strokes "look great" :D very smooth etc. I'm able to really step onto the BO edge and push now. I love these, but still have a bit of fear.

Gruesome
I feel like my mid section turns into a wet noodle every time I do one of the FO alt threes. I get through the prelim power threes just fine, but can't hold on to those !@**! alt threes.

AstarZ41
01-22-2003, 08:35 PM
Hi everyone! I've been lurking for a while on this board and everyone seems so nice!! hehe I started skating this September at 15 (I'm 16 now) so I'm just a beginner. I take group lessons once a week and go to public sessions to practice every Sunday. I wish my rink wasn't so hokey oriented and provided more practice time... So anyways, about this week's lesson... :)

*Good*
I think I have my forward crossovers down pretty good. My coach says that I get a good "under" push and gain enough speed, but I had a sub coach the other day who told me to really extend and hold my outside leg and then push even harder on the second under push...doing this made me feel kinda shaky...I guess I'm just not used to going that fast and leaning far inside the circle. A challege is always good though, and when I think I can do something perfectly there's always something to improve hehe My right over left crossovers are coming along nicely. I can now slide my foot over and I feel pretty comfortable going fast. I also learned how to do two footed turns which are probably the easiest turn there is but I'm just happy I can do them!! lol

*Not so good...*
Right over left back crossovers are my harder side and they just feel kinda..akward. My body feels weird when I turn that way and lean on the outside edge...they're sorta getting better though. If I reallyyy bend my knees I can slide my foot over but I have trouble staying on the LBO edge and it turns into a mess between crossing over to the LBI edge and scraping my toe pic... ehh I guess I just need to practice practice practice lol I'm learning to do a shoot the duck and a lunge, both are getting better but I still have trouble keeping my balance, I just tip over to one side or fall on my butt! lol My coach said she wants to teach me to do a spiral soon...ahh!! :lol

Anna

sk8pics
01-23-2003, 06:29 AM
Spirals are good, except that I need to stretch more off-ice to increase my flexibility (I can get my leg high enough, but I'd like it to be higher) - any tips?

The current and previous issues of Skating Magazine had a serious of exercises designed to improve spirals. There was attention paid to both flexibility and strength. My coach and I had already been doing many of the exercises listed, and they have definitely helped me.

As for me, I'm just back from U.S. Nationals, where I had a great time. Still finding my feet back on the ice, although my coach said I picked up right where I left off with most of the skills. Waltz jump was pretty good and so was the half flip.

Pat

tidesong
01-23-2003, 08:54 AM
Hello, especially to Anna and Katya... i started taking skating lessons when I was about 18 and you ppl just made me remember how excited I was at learning three turns and spirals... thanks :)

Great:
I did 6 good axels today...
My combination spin was ok
I did three rounds in my flying camel first time I did my prgoram
I did the hand movements in my foot work and didn't fall over... its so hard for me to do the various three turns (esp backward inside) with my arms moving around...

Gruesome:
My laybacks kept on travelling
I still can't land the axel in the middle of the program. I did plenty of axels until I hit some good ones and then I did my combination spin to tire myself up and tried the axel again... the best I could manage was land and turn out... oh well its better than splatting all the time...

My forward spiral is still terrible in the program... it was slightly better today than the other day though...

Confused:
I thought my double toe felt better ( I didn't land it of course) but my coach said something was wrong..arrgh so that isn't the feeling either... when will I get to know what a proper double toe feels like?

Yazmeen
01-23-2003, 09:29 AM
Kat: Welcome!!! Sounds like you are doing wonderfully great, and yes, those jumps "count." Heck, your flip and loop sound bigger than my sal and toeloop, and darn right I "count" those as real jumps!!! :lol:

Weirdly Gruesome: While my right inside mohawk with cross step is lovely, I just can't seem to do it on the opposite side. Mohawk is fine, but brain will not allow left foot to step over right after I complete it, so we just bagged that.

Great Gazoo: Looks like pinwheel and PPP's (the pirouettes) will go in my footwork program in threes, both right and left (one reason my coach wasn't concerned about me only doing the mohawk crossstep on one side--I have plenty else that is done on both sides, and this is only ISI Freestyle 1, the lowest level for a footwork program). Since ISI allows half jumps, but no full jumps or spins in a footwork program, she decided to have me try half flip out of inside mohawk. I did it, and suddenly one became two and two became three!! These coaches, they're so pushy--you do something once, then they want multiples, and then, BANG, its in you program!!! :P Worked well enough that we decided to switch to the mohawk entry in my freestyle program too--ran that from the crossovers into waltz jump, stroke into lunge, mohawk into half flip, and it went faster and looked better with the mohawk, so there it is!

Decided on the music cut, so hubby will get that together, and of COURSE I have a business trip next week so no lessons!!! :?? The most GRUESOME thing about that? Its to Dallas--two weeks AFTER Nationals!!! Why couldn't they time this conference better?! ;)

If anybody has restaurant recommendations for Dallas, bring 'em on!!!

Happy skating,

Beth

garyc254
01-23-2003, 10:39 AM
WELCOME TO KATYA AND ANNA!!!!! :D :D :D

Always nice to have new posters tell us of their experiences.

Katya, you asked if you thought you were advancing properly for your age. The answer is that only you can answer that.

We all advance on different elements at different times. Age has little to do with it except us "older" skaters are usually a bit more cautious and therefore advance a little slower. Physical condition has more to do with it than age.

If only I had started skating at 23 instead of 47 (sigh). ;)

Blue Line
01-23-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Yazmeen
Since ISI allows half jumps, but no full jumps or spins in a footwork program, she decided to have me try half flip out of inside mohawk. I did it, and suddenly one became two and two became three!! These coaches, they're so pushy--you do something once, then they want multiples, and then, BANG, its in you program!!! :P Worked well enough that we decided to switch to the mohawk entry in my freestyle program too--ran that from the crossovers into waltz jump, stroke into lunge, mohawk into half flip, and it went faster and looked better with the mohawk, so there it is!

Today Coach and I decided to switch to a mohawk entry to my half-flip, too. I can do it decently from a three turn, but am much more comfortable doing the jump with speed from a mohawk. It just feels safer, I guess.

Other Greats: I groaned when Coach asked to see my edges and then they went and were better than they'd ever been. Finally, they feel smooth and secure and right. I thought it'd never happen!

Jumping with speed (and quite a bit of it, Coach said) is coming along well. I'm getting comfortable doing it and the jumps are sososoSO much better when I go into them above a snail's pace.

Gruesome: Just about collided with a little one within 5 minutes of getting on the ice this morning. Yikes! I'm horribly, horribly afraid of crashing into one of the kids and hurting them. Coach thinks that I'm a little too paranoid. I like to think of myself as cautious. So, being already freaked out about the collision factor, my close call shook my nerves. I took a while to calm down to the point where I could actually practice.

I have Earth's worst scratch spin right now. It's a fair-weather friend, and driving me insane. I was so frustrated with it by the time my lesson began that after I did a few for Coach, she told me to put them away for the day. I get very frustrated and worked up when I can't do it, which makes it worse, which makes me more annoyed, etc.

Random: The last couple of weeks of skating have been insanely trying on me. I haven't been posting in the lessons thread because, as soon as I get off of the ice from my lesson, I'd rather not think about it again! Nothing seems to be quite as smooth and as comfortable as it was before the start of the new year. Coach thinks that it has something to do with the two weeks I had without lessons after I got my wisdom teeth yanked. I just blame it on myself and not working hard enough. However, I'm seeing improvements this week, so I suppose that not all is lost. I'll hang in there. ;)

batikat
01-23-2003, 04:26 PM
Gruesome:
I've lost my Free Dance music - aaaarrrghhh!!!:cry:
I was intending to re-edit it anyway but didn't plan on doing it this weekend. Now i'll have to if I want to practice next week. Did do a run-through without the music and as usual, coach wants to make it more difficult - I did draw the line at back outside 3 twizzles - no way am I likely to master those by June (when my rinks adult competitions is on)!!!!
Tried the Loop but I really don't get this jump at all.

Great: Very quiet at the rink this morning so had lots of space to practice backwards skating. Still need to work on keeping my weight back on the blade but it is improving. Also got to skate with a partner, running through Dutch Waltz, Golden Skaters, Rhythm Blues, Riverside Rumba and Swing Dance. I really enjoy dance with a partner but solo compulsories leave me cold. I only got to 'borrow' this chap as I expect his regular partner will be back next week. We hadn't skated together for some time and he was very complimentary on the improvement in the smoothness of my skating. Worked on the Swing Dance solo in my lesson - a more interesting way to practice backward skating than Field Moves.
Also managed to find my sit spin that has been missing for a while and did some really nice 3 jumps with speed, flow and height. :D
Now I need to get the salchow and toe-loop (cherry) to the same standard.

melanieuk
01-24-2003, 08:12 AM
Hello to Anna and Katya.
It's never too late to skate. ;)

I'm glad I went skating this morning. I wasn't going to due to a heavy cold and bad night's sleep.
I skated well for me, and even managed a few back sits (ugly and didn't last long) without falling over.

I'm getting better at the loop-halfloop-chainee turn x 2 - flip!
Not much flow, but getting it to stretch out a bit more.

My camels were working well today but I felt heavy and hot.
I wonder if I'd been feeling fit and healthy would my skating be better?

Looking forward to watching Men's SP now.....Stephane Lambiel :lol:

My back spiral on left outside edge is improving. :D

tidesong
01-24-2003, 09:03 AM
Great:
Today was pretty good! I landed one or two axels right after that deadly combination spin (that gets me so incredibly tired..) whoo hoo...
My double sal is still two footed but I don't splat all the time now...and I dare to enter it with a decent speed
Lutz out of footwork is slightly more consistent... i think I flutzed alot less today.
Split jumps better also! I could feel the stretch in my legs when I split, so should be more than 90 degrees at last :)
Flying camel: coach told me to reach further when I jump ( or something to that effect) and it worked better to a faster back camel... I only held it for four rounds though coz I coudn't straighten my leg.

Gruesome:
Layback again... arrrgh, not centered...
Stamina still not quite there... working on it... still doing program succesfully only when split into three parts.

CanAmSk8ter
01-24-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Yazmeen
These coaches, they're so pushy--you do something once, then they want multiples, and then, BANG, its in you program!!!

I'd like to come up with a dance version of this statement: you do dance, then they want it faster, then they want it on pattern, and then they want to partner you!

I had one of those bang-head-against-wall lessons on Wednesday. With any luck I'll have something more positive to report next week.

skateflo
01-24-2003, 04:55 PM
Wednesday's lesson was different - two exercises from Annie's Edges. For those of you not familiar with AE, it is a great program by Anne Shelter from Canada. She does seminars in the UK several times a year, so you UK folks listen up! She also has a new program called Circles, but I haven't seen it yet....

Anyway, the first one was just stroking onto forward Outside Edges. You have to develope a lilt and timing to remember to rock over onto an inside edge just before you switch feet. I did really well with this! Ta Da!

The second was cross behind strokes onto forward Outside Edges while stroking forward! Good Grief! You have to cross your knee cap behind the back of your other knee, keep your knee facing forward so your foot can step down straight, stay on 2 feet (one is crossed behind the other and placed on an outside edge), then slide the skating foot forward off on an outside edge. It is something like cross behinds skating backward only you are going forward. My one side did fine, but the other side was terrible as I just couldn't seem to get my cross behind foot to cross and land parallel to my skating foot and kept clicking my blades during the cross behind. You really have to make your knee go behind literally touching the back of your other knee and flex your ankle a lot to get your foot to land facing forward.

It was fun trying! But then coach, as we were getting off the ice, asked if I might like to try testing in the ISI program. I had a real bad experience a while back and gave up skating for 8 months. Now I skate just for me. The very mention of testing made those old feelings just well up from my toes into my tummy. I declined and I think she was a little disappointed.

Picked up my new orthotics today and will try them out tomorrow. They were supposed to be full length but are only 2/3 so now I have to do a cut and paste for the forward 1/3 part of the sole so my skin is not resting on the stitching! I guess I will have to cut up my new Cherrios box....

1lutz2klutz
01-24-2003, 06:39 PM
Gruesome: Coach showed up with his videocamera to help me understand the error of my ways.......UGHHH!!! It's bad enough to see my two foot take offs and my old-lady camel spin position, but would it have been SO hard to use the tall and thin camera lens instead of seeing myself in true-life wide angle view??!!! Maybe I'll take up hockey again- at least they pad their butts on purpose...............

AstarZ41
01-24-2003, 07:15 PM
Thanks for all the warm welcomes!! :D

Pat, you mentioned there were some good tips to improve your spiral in the Skating Magazine...could you post some of them here if it's not a violation of copyright...if it is, then do you know where I could get a copy? I think I should start practicing the spiral position now to make things easier ones I get to actually try it on the ice! :)

Anna

Andie
01-24-2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by DancinDiva
boring as that may sound to those of you who are more advanced (which I guess is just about all of you!), that's all I did, but I'm happy with myself!

I'm not that advanced either.:)

Heck, I started ice skating (lessons) in mid-2000 and took several months off and just in 2002 began to refresh myself and get rid of my "rustiness", and heck, I'm still having trouble figuring out those darned crossovers! :oops: :lol:

The only "gruesome" thing I can say about my skate-situation is that my main/closest rink is disorganized, today as well as last Friday they have had no freestyle session. And I am VERY MAD about that. :evil:
That's not the only thing that irritates me about that rink, though.

Figureskates
01-24-2003, 10:44 PM
Well madam coach feels I may be ready to test pre-pre.

The stroking, edges, and waltz 8's look pretty good. The only thing that is still problematical is my spiral....I still look like a goony bird coming in for a landing the beach...you can her the pops and creaks my aging frame lets out....once I pass this I will never do another spiral again.....

BringontheRain
01-25-2003, 11:26 AM
Great
I am pretty much finished with my long program choreography
My double loop, flip and lutz are strong again after my injury
Landed double lutz from footwork
Started double axels again this week, they are surprisingly ok, I haven't done them since I injured my back on one a month ago
Got new blades and they are helping
My choctaws continue to improve

Gruesome
Double lutz double loop isn't too consistant
My double toe entry is off, I am too turned around
I am still working on getting rid of my damn wrap
I still can't test Junior Moves!
I hate double sals, they're ok, I just hate the jump. It is my worst jump

Yazmeen
01-25-2003, 03:40 PM
Great: Coach was able to tuck in a lesson for me today, and we worked on the first moves for my footwork program.

So far: "Wiggle" right toward one end, the kick out left foot with back of blade in ice, toe step left and right, stroke toward other end of ice into two bunny hops, then two right mohawk/cross steps with fancy arms, into right back crossovers into spiral...

now...that may not sound like much, but its a lot together in the first quarter of third of the music and it was really HARD--it was rewarding to get it together, but man, did it take my breath away!!! She had warned me that a one minute footwork program would be the "longest minute of your life" but it is really intense!! You can't put a lot of stroking and crossovers in here as you need to show off your footwork moves and everything has to be quick and sharp. I'm enjoying this to the hilt, but it is work.

After practice tomorrow, no skating for a week :( due to my conference. At least I'll have five weeks after that to tighten up my freestyle program and get the footwork together before my competition.

It did feel good to have coach tell me that I am a much more advanced skater than I was a year ago. Sometimes you don't see your own progress as clearly as the coach does, and that was good to hear. :D

Happy skating, y'all!!

Beth