View Full Version : Haaalp!! Lrng to Skt just had first skating lesson

lrng to skt
06-04-2002, 09:14 PM
Hi guys!

Hoping someone will take pity on me :oops:

I've never been on skates before today - had an actual lesson and it is definitely something I want to pursue in my limited fashion (not looking to get great I AM 50)

I used rentals because I want to be sure it's going to be something that's possible and I think it will be.

My question - the rentals are pretty obviously not great. I also am not about to sink a lot of money into this.

What are your recommendations regarding when it's time to bite the bullet and buy a first pair of my own? Will wearing the rentals mess with my learning? Any suggestions as to what to get?

I appreciate any and all help.

BTW - I fell six times, which is a lot better than I thought it would be, but boy is my butt sore 8O ...gabi aka lrng to skt

TaraNJ
06-04-2002, 09:23 PM
Welcome, lrng to skt!

Well, yes, rentals are horrible tools to learn on. They typically have little to no ankle support (thin, flexible leather) and no edges. Morevoer, you get a different pair every time you rent so you will always need to be adjusting to the equipment. It's like playing tennis and using a different racquet with a different grip size, head size, and string tension each time you play. You're hardly going to improve when you never get used to the equipment in the first place.

That being said, you don't necessarily need to rush in and make a huge purchase. Stick with it a bit and see how you like the sport. If you intend to continue skating, ask your instructor for a recommendation of a good pro shop in the area and for a good brand of beginner freestyle skates and blades. Be ready to spend anywhere from $100 to $400 for your first pair. Another, less expensive alternative is a quality used pair of skates that have been refurbished. They will average about $125. If you won't be doing any jumps or spins for a while, then they will last you a while and provide you with the support you need.

I'm sure others here have first boot recommendations for you, too.

Good luck, and happy skating!

backspin
06-04-2002, 11:16 PM
I always recommend Jacksons for beginning skaters. They make a very good beginners skate for around $80-$100.00 (blades included). Reidell also makes a beginner level skate (don't know the price), but Reidells don't fit everybody (mostly narrow feet), so be sure you have someone fit you who knows what they're doing.

Welcome to our ice world! You'll love it! :)

wannask8
06-05-2002, 12:05 AM
Welcome to a thoroughly addicting pastime! By the way, at 50 you are not the oldest person on this board, nor are you starting later than some pretty accomplished people, so you never know where this might lead.

I am a beginner myself, but here’s my $.02 on getting your own boots: just do it. I have come to the conclusion that adult feet are crankier than kid feet, having already been abused for multiple decades, and they will definitely let you know if you’re not treating them right. I started skating a bit a year ago at the tender age of 38 in old, unsupportive skates that (though I did not realize it) were way too big for me. Result: lacing them too tightly to compensate for fit and stiffness deficiencies contributed to a compressed nerve on one foot . . . which took six months to heal. That’s six months off the ice. So when I was ready to return, I went to the pro shop, had my coach fit me, and got my own pair (okay, actually, my hubby bought them as a birthday present after seeing how crushed I was at not being able to skate for so long!). They are very nicely padded, and I noticed the difference in performance immediately. I got Riedell 220s, as I am a lightweight and required a narrow width, but not too much boot at my level (my feet are compatible with the Riedell last, which isn’t the case for everyone); I think they cost around US$275.

If you do decide to get your own skates, be sure to go to a reputable pro shop that will pay the proper attention to your fitting (a good idea even if you decide to go the “pre-owned” route, as your skate size is generally a size or two smaller than your street size). People on this board can also give you tons of incredibly helpful information about what brands are good for different foot shapes, skating levels, body types, etc.

Good luck with your skating!

-- wannask8

Mrs Redboots
06-05-2002, 08:41 AM
As soon as you are sure skating is a hobby you want to pursue, go and buy your own boots and blades. You will want bottom-of-the-ladder in both - it's futile recommending a brand, as I don't know what your local skate shop stocks, and, of course, different boots fit different feet. But it *IS* worth getting them professionally fitted, even for an entry-level boot-blade combination, as if you don't, you will almost inevitably buy a pair that is too big.

Although the logical thing would seem to be to wear thick sports socks, in fact, thin nylon pop-sox are the best thing to wear inside your boots, so take a pair with you when you go to be fitted.

And welcome to this most addictive of sports, which is enormous fun, whatever level or age you are.

flo
06-05-2002, 09:52 AM
Welcome.
Something you may also want to check out are the used skate sales. The local clubs usually have a few a year, and it's a good way to pick up a pair of skates for good deal. I started in used skates, and they were great. I kept them until I was sure I wanted to stay in skating, then bought a new pair. Your coach or friends at the rink can tell you what to look for in a pair of second hand skates. Another benefit is that they will be broken in!
Once you know your size, and what you're looking for, you can also check out e-bay. A friend did this, and got a great pair that will take him throught the basics.
Good luck

lrng to skt
06-05-2002, 12:37 PM
[b:ba9dc7e01e]Wow - thank you so much EVERYone[/b:ba9dc7e01e] - that gives me some good things to look into.

Also makes me realize that the rentals I had on were probably too big, the socks too thick and you know, I never knew that the blade was seperate from the boot :roll: .

Today I'm feeling the results of falling - but other than that I'm looking forward to my next lesson. I'll be very happy just to get some decent stroking (without falling six times) :lol: ...g

garyc254
06-05-2002, 02:29 PM
Welcome to the our world!!!

No, 50 isn't too old to start. I started skating last year at age 47 and have been loving it ever since. I'm still a rookie with a LOT of learning to do.

The only advice I received when I decided to skate was:
1. Buy your own skates
2. Get a good coach

So I had myself fitted for and bought my own new skates. I also ended up with two coaches. :)

I know you've seen it here before, but it's worth repeating:
***Make sure you get your skates fitted by someone that knows what they are doing.***

It is an expensive investment and you don't want equipment problems to cause you to either quit or hurt yourself.

Yes, the rentals you've been using are probably too large. I tell most people that are using rentals to go at least one size smaller than their normal shoe size, sometimes two sizes.

Also, thin or no socks. You want to "feel" the boot to get your best edges.

Again, WELCOME!!!!! :D

Artistic Skaters
06-05-2002, 07:44 PM
Hi gabi, WOW you did it. The thickest things that go into our boots are Danskin tights. Those skates need to fit like a glove. Another couple weeks & you will have the hang of it ....

Jeff Barlow
06-05-2002, 08:52 PM
Sounds familiar. I'm 54 and I just started in February. I spent the first hour or so alternately grabbing on to the top of the boards and falling. Now I'm up to where I can actually skate around without being too much of a danger to myself.

Yes, rentals are pretty much useless. IMHO about all they're good for is getting a sense about whether or not you want to do this. There are only two possibilities: stop skating now, quick before you get hooked, or just accept that you are, indeed, going to sink a lot of money into this. I'm the proud owner of $425 worth of not yet broken in skates; worth every penny.

I also got pads for my knees and butt. At our age I think these are important. Plus they make me not fear falling so much.

I have friends who play golf and scuba dive. I think the costs are about the same as skating. You've got to do something for fun.

lrng to skt
06-06-2002, 12:55 PM
[b:501fb20d69]Wow more!![/b:501fb20d69] - And BTW big HI [b:501fb20d69]Artistic S[/b:501fb20d69], good to be back on board in general, eh :wink:

OK - so ditch the idea of socks to pad the skates out 8) - thanks
[b:501fb20d69]Gary[/b:501fb20d69] - I mighta killed myself next time as I was thinking of bringing an extra pair of socks :oops:

[b:501fb20d69]Jeff[/b:501fb20d69] - Oh, you made me feel so much better about my "advanced" age. Could you tell me how you padded yourself in the butt, I think I will really need to do that :roll:

So ALL. The encouragement is terrific. I really was feeling great and enthused after the lesson - but then when my body started to revolt I did start to loose a little confidence :( .

I am really surprised at the places I'm sore in (not counting the Thud spots) particularly my arms and upper torso in general. My short leg (seriously 8O ) hurts in places I haven't felt in awhile and I think that's good, as part of the reason I want to do this is to get my body into better balance and allignment.

So again, thank you to all. I hope to be back to normal enough to run this weekend :? . Then I can go do it all over again, with hopefully less trauma to the bod :lol: .

I will keep you all posted on my "progress" :wink: ...g

flippet
06-06-2002, 01:39 PM
gaby, I'm so glad that you've decided to be true to your name! :D Yay for you!

About extra socks: generally, not a good idea, for a couple of reasons. One, ideally the skate will fit CLOSE to your foot---thick socks won't allow for that. Secondly, socks in general, and especially two pairs, will tend to get sweaty and cause blisters. Definitely dampens the fun.

However---if you're still in rentals, you're going to have to use your best judgement. Rental skates can get all stretched out of shape, and have no hope of fitting snugly unless your toes are so jammed up you can't keep your foot flat, which isn't a good idea. If this is the case at your rink, wearing [b:7c20e36045]a[/b:7c20e36045] pair of medium-weight socks may be ok. But if you can get a reasonably good fit with nylons, skating tights (Capezio now makes skating 'socks' out of microfiber), or very thin socks, go for it.

Ah yes...the many places you suddenly 'discover' once they become sore! ;) Skating and keeping one's self upright works out a TON of muscles, especially in the upper body. It's amazing the way the torso works, yanking you one way then the next just to stay vertical! And you never remember you did it until you wake up and can't move. :lol: It will get better though, I promise. And I'll let you in on a 'little' secret....as everyone else chimes in with me.... BEND YOUR KNEES! :) :) :) That's the trick that helps keep you stable, and is the key to [b:7c20e36045]everything[/b:7c20e36045] in skating. Bend at the knees, but not at the waist.

Welcome to your new addiction. :twisted:

db
06-06-2002, 03:38 PM
Hi [b:d9c0c620ef]lrng to skt[/b:d9c0c620ef]! Take heart, I'm 55 and started skating two years ago. You actually have quite a bit of company here.

Re falling: I have found ibuprofen to be a real friend. I take 600mg immediately after a spill, and have found it to help a great deal. I know several people who can't or don't want to do that, but if you can, I highly recommend it.

Re your own skates: It's true that no one brand is right for everyone, that being said, the Riedell models with gel liners are exceptionally comfy. I believe the gel liners start with the model 220. If the Riedell Silver Star (model 350) fits you, and you can find a decent used pair, go for it. When buying a used boot, look for a pair that do not have big creases at the ankle. Creases indicate that the boot is breaking down and will not provide the support you need. Small wrinkels are OK, and are expected as the boot is broken in. The Wilson Majestic is a good beginner blade that will likely last you many years, and only costs about $80 new. The MK single star is also OK.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress.

lrng to skt
06-06-2002, 04:35 PM
Ah [b:b876cad804]Flippett and DB[/b:b876cad804] - more good advice.

Well - definitely couldn't feel my feet - the first pair I tried on my toes were totally squished, but the larger size I could actually move from side to side, plus a notch in the laces was torn off.

The Reidall sounds so good - but I have a short verrrry wide forefoot - so I don't know if that's a possibility???

Woops gotta go have a tooth filled - it's been that kinda week.

Oh re the Ibuprofen - I wish I could but the stomach - I did call my Doc and he told me I could up my dose of Celebrex (which is not as good) so that's a help...more later...g

lisabelle
06-06-2002, 06:29 PM
reidells are definitely not for everyone. they dont fit my feet at all. i started in jacksons, and they seem to be a good beginner brand. enough support (esp in your case since you are only learning basics) without being too expensive.

Artistic Skaters
06-06-2002, 06:58 PM
[quote:2f583a6965="lrng to skt"]The Reidall sounds so good - but I have a short verrrry wide forefoot - so I don't know if that's a possibility???[/quote:2f583a6965]
Maybe you can get the Reidell skate set in wide width in adult, I know you can in child size. I don't know about the Jacksons myself but skaters I know who have had them seemed to like them for basics. Try SP-Teri once you start looking around for separate boots & blades, you can get them with a split last sizing, but unfortunately they don't offer the less expensive skate sets.

Jeff Barlow
06-07-2002, 03:45 PM
The butt pad I have is just a chunk of 3/4" thick closed cell foam rubber. The skate shop at the rink sells them as "tail bone pads". Ask around at your rink; I think they're pretty common. I also got some tight stretchy running shorts (sort of like tights with the legs cut off) that I just put the pad inside of, over the tail bone.

lrng to skt
06-07-2002, 09:20 PM
OMG [b:74fb529057]Jeff[/b:74fb529057] - I never even thought that they would probably have them there :oops:

I did however, get something at Orchard Supply for that purpose 8) .

You know those gardening knee pads - well, they had some really big ones with a big pansy on it 8O ; so I'll possibly be wearing that :lol: although Blvd Hubby says he will claim not to have ever seeen me before in his life :roll: ... should be a nice fashion statement though, don't you think :D ...g

singerskates
06-08-2002, 09:29 PM
[quote:4a1988622a="backspin"]I always recommend Jacksons for beginning skaters.

Welcome to our ice world! You'll love it! :)[/quote:4a1988622a]

I started out with Jacksons but they were not the right skate for me. Get your feet checked out by a foot doctor. Find out before you buy your skates if you have any pronation (leaning inward or outward) or any other problem with your feet or if you have one leg longer or shorter than the other. Also what kind of foot ball do you have; wide or narrow? How about your heel; wide or narrow? If you have a wide balled foot and a narrow heel you're inline for Grafs or SP Teri. Graf Galaxy's would be best for a bigger since they are lighter than the other Grafs and more comfortable. Although, they are harder to find than Edmonton Specials. I do think that Graf has lower end models too. I didn't go for them since I was already jumping and competing when I bought my Grafs last summer.

All things said, know your feet and get to skates for your feet not just yoru pocket book. Your feet will thank you for it.

bbtano
06-08-2002, 10:09 PM
Reidell does carry wide widths. I got some and they have worked out okay for me so far. The size I needed ended up being one and a half sizes smaller than my street shoes. I was blown away by the difference it made to have my own skates versus using rentals.

Some rinks will sharpen the rentals free for you, esp since you're taking lessons. A friend of mine gets his rentals sharpened each time he goes since he can't afford to buy his own skates yet.

Have fun! :)