View Full Version : What's your music?

melanieuk
01-15-2003, 09:03 AM
If you've got a programme, what music are you using this season?

If you haven't got a programme, what music would you choose if you could skate to anything?

I wish I was good enough to skate to Moonlight Sonata.

I'm really struggling to find 1.5 mins of music. 8O
I don't want something I can't do any justice, and I have to like the tune itself.
The music I like all seems to be too "samey" or too "advanced" for me to skate to. :(

dani
01-15-2003, 09:12 AM
Good thread!

I am skating to Water Music. I would like to do an interpretive to Limelight (the chaplin piece) but I can't find a good recording!! My other interpretive thought I am not doing either, but that would be the scarecrow "If I only had a brain" ;-)

Hugs!!
Danielle

RoaringSkates
01-15-2003, 09:26 AM
I'm skating to Gershwin, Rhapsody in Blue

LoopLoop
01-15-2003, 09:46 AM
My freestyle is to Gershwin, Mexican Dance.

Dani, a couple of years ago I skated to Limelight (I picked it before I saw Bereznaya and Sikharulidzeskating to it, in fact). I found it on a set of CDs I picked up really cheap...they were called something like "Movie Themes of the 50s, 60s, and 70s."

dani
01-15-2003, 09:58 AM
Oops, this was supposed to be a PM ;-)

sk8er1964
01-15-2003, 10:04 AM
I'm skating to a Mozart piece from the soundtrack of the movie Amadeus. I love the music (it took a long time to find) but there's not a whole lot of rest time in the 2:40. It's very dramatic and strong music - I hope I'm up to it ;)

twinkle
01-15-2003, 10:33 AM
My free programme is to the Addams Family soundtrack, I really like this music and its a lovely programme as well.

flo
01-15-2003, 10:46 AM
Elgar's Enigma Variations and Barber's Adagio for Strings.

MissIndigo
01-15-2003, 10:50 AM
"Enishi Enishi" by Toshiro Masuda. It's a piece from one of my favorite anime series.

Black Sheep
01-15-2003, 11:02 AM
1. Adult Gold FS: "A Charlie Brown Christmas" by Vince Guaraldi (sp?).

2. Masters Interp: "The Jellicle Ball" from CATS.

3. Ice Show Solo: "China Girl" by David Bowie.

:D :) ;) :lol: 8-)

LoopLoop
01-15-2003, 11:03 AM
Flo, I love your music! Which of the Variations are you using?

Dani, I tried to respond to your PM but your inbox was full.

flo
01-15-2003, 11:17 AM
Hi Loops,
I'm using Nimrod, and a bit of Dorabella. I heard the music, and knew I wanted to skate to it!

icenut84
01-15-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by dani
My other interpretive thought I am not doing either, but that would be the scarecrow "If I only had a brain" ;-)

:lol: Great idea! lol

vesperholly
01-15-2003, 02:25 PM
My short program is "Leyenda" by Vanessa Mae and my freeskating is "Turandot" also by Vanessa Mae. I guess I like her music!

Jocelyn

nutty-ducky
01-15-2003, 04:13 PM
i am skating to the james bond theme tune. i think it has a very cool beat! :D

Elsy2
01-15-2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by nutty-ducky
i am skating to the james bond theme tune. i think it has a very cool beat! :D

I like James Bond music too....My daughter has a cool short program to Austin Powers music, and it's very "Bond-ish". I'd love to steal her music, but I could never do it justice the way she does!

Hannahclear
01-15-2003, 05:08 PM
I'm skating to American Beauty, the motion picture score. I love the music, it's just weird enough to be different.

BringontheRain
01-15-2003, 05:14 PM
Novice Short - "Leyenda" Vanessa Mae
Novice Long - "Sapphire", "Que Viva" and another selection from the CD "Viva La Guitarra" Vehkarvaara and Simone

fan
01-15-2003, 05:56 PM
my current fs is a compilation of music from the "life is beautiful" soundtrack. i'll use similar music for my artistic bronze (theme- young girl at her first ball). for my artistic silver i plan on using either fever or "el tango de roxanne" (moulin rouge) theme - obsession. gold - schindler's list, theme - despair. what do you guys think?

Mel1977
01-15-2003, 09:23 PM
Interesting topic! My freeskate program is "Danse Espagnole" from Swan Lake; my compulsory program is "Interlude," (from Nelson's 1991 "After the Rain" album...anyone remember them?); my artistic entertainment is "These boots are made for walkin", and my artistic dramatic is "To where you are", by Josh Groban.

Imo
01-15-2003, 09:26 PM
I'm skating to "Manha de Carnaval" from Black Orpheus...

KwanRainbow
01-16-2003, 08:43 AM
Skating to - Prince of tides for short p and Jurrassic park for long P

And Melanieuk..............I have seen you skate and it will be a long time before you can find music you can justice :lol: lol kidding tee hee,

Success is never lasting Failure is never final - Little Girls In Pretty Boxes , Movie

melanieuk
01-16-2003, 11:21 AM
Well KwanRainbow......what about these?
Could I skate to these?

What about "Like a Virgin" by Madonna? (clearly NOT as I have 2 children)
Or the Birdie Song? (that about matches my skating ability, no?)
Or The Oompah Loompah song? (room for interpretation of bad adult skating)
I could steal Dani's one - The Scarecrow (If I only had a brain?) :lol:
Or Mission Impossible (to find Mel's music)

dani
01-16-2003, 12:20 PM
I haven't seen MelanieUK skate and I am sure that she is quite good! I do think that the Oompah Loompah song could be cool, I didn't think of that when I was scouring for an interpretive song. It is too late for me to register at AN this year, but I call Limelight for Adult Interp next year!! ;-)

I am going to try to put together a chaplinesque program which I hope will be lots of fun! Maybe I can debut it next year at the Peach!

Hugs!!
Danielle

tidesong
01-17-2003, 09:23 PM
I'm skating to music from the soundtrack of the truman show... I only have a free program, it is 2:30 mins long for pre-juvenile...

AshBugg44
01-18-2003, 11:45 AM
My technical is My Sweet and Tender Beast and my dramatic is Carmen.

Lili
01-18-2003, 10:41 PM
To be honest with you, I am still trying to figure out what to skate to. I should figure it out seeings that I am testing Freestyle soon. :)

thumbyskates
01-19-2003, 01:43 AM
For my Senior Bronze Freeskate this year I'm skating to the music by a "band" called Bond. It's sort of techno-ballet, as I like to refer to it. It's really powerful in the fast, yet so balletic in the slow - suits me to a T, I'd have to say...bringing out qualities I never knew I had.

For my Bronze Interpretive (which I'm taking in two weeks...passed the Introductory with FLYYYYYYYING colours!)...I skate to "Oh My Goodness", by Shirley Temple. It's the best program ever - I'm going to have a hard time matching it when I get my new program.

For my Silver Interpretive, I do believe I'm going to be the Queen of Hearts, from Alice in Wonderland. I did it as my Solo Carnival number last year, and as my coach says...I can only portray two emotions on the ice..."b*tch and brat". Covered the brat one (Shirley is a lot of pouting and foot stomping)...now I"m left with the other option ;)

Just a side note. Pleeeeease don't do the Scarecrow from Wizard of Oz, unless its a very good interpretation. I still have a bit of bitterness from a competition in November, in which the person who won (consequently I was second) skated around doing mohawks and mouthing the words. She definitely did not deserve that gold...:evil:

~thumbyskates

icesk8er31
01-19-2003, 05:08 PM
I just started working on my next test program this past Saturday - I'm skating to Fast Forward (which is a terrible misnomer, since it's a relatively sedate piano piece) from the Serendipity soundtrack. This is only the second program I've ever done (my coaches have been lenient in the past about passing me without), so I'm scared out of my mind that I'll end up looking like Frankenstein out there, but I'm giving it the old college try nonetheless.

CanAmSk8ter
01-19-2003, 05:41 PM
I have to do a two- to three-minute free dance for my ISI Dance 7, which I hope to test in early May. It has to include three different rythyms, so I'm kind of going nuts trying to find music. I'll post here when (if) I come up with something.

Thumby, I just bought Bond's CD last week and I liked it so much I went out and got their other one the next day! What piece are you using? If I didn't have to have three rythyms in the FD I wanted to skate to "Victory" or "Allegretto".

footloose
01-19-2003, 09:21 PM
This is a really interesting topic...it's fun seeing what everyone else's music is! My coach loves me, so I get to find cut & choreograph my own programs, so I *really* love all my music...
short is the overture from Mamma Mia (kinda techno-ized ABBA?)
long is a celtic piece called Magh Seola...it's slow and gorgeous :o)
and interpretive (was gonna be gold artistic, but they decided to change the whole system...darn Skate Canada!) is One Day I'll Fly Away from Moulin Rouge, with the theme of freedom
xo Catie

jazzpants
01-19-2003, 11:54 PM
"Until the Last Moment" by Yanni from the "Live from the Acropolis" CD.

BUT...I'm not doing that program again though until I pass my Bronze Moves. (AUGH!!! Those power 3's!!! I *HATE* THEM!!!) :evil:

ddpskater
01-22-2003, 06:10 PM
1.5 of Hello Dolly. Slow.

sparkilees
01-23-2003, 11:36 AM
my short is from schindler's list and my long is from ballet gala and my show program is only hope by mandy moore

Mel On Ice
01-23-2003, 01:06 PM
freestyle 2/bronze is from the soundtrack to the movie "Rushmore". The tracks we used are called "Margaret Yang's Theme" and "Kite Flying Society."

Spotlight-Light Entertainment is "She Blinded Me with Science" by Thomas Dolby.

In preparing for next season, I am using "Rhapsody in Blue" for freestyle, and thinking about "YYZ" by Rush for footwork and "Time in a Bottle" by Jim Croce for Spotlight-Dramatic or "Roller Derby Queen" for Spotlight-Light Entertainment.

Yazmeen
01-23-2003, 02:39 PM
My competitions are ISI, Freestyle I level:

"Theme from Route 66" (Nelson Riddle Orchestra) for Freestyle
"Happy Feet" (8 and 1/2 Souvenirs) for Footwork

kar5162
01-23-2003, 06:44 PM
I am skating to Keep Hope Alive by Crystal Method...crossover techno music for Juvenile test/Silver free (if I ever get enough time to do the adult tests).

When I do have some free time...hopefully soon, I will go briefly back to my old program to test Bronze Silver Branch by Dagda...supposedly Celtic, but sort of different.

Andie
01-24-2003, 10:17 PM
I haven't got any tunes, I'm still trying to figure it out, but I'd really like to do a program to music soon.

Random songs I've took a liking to, but don't know how appropriate they'd be for my level now (I'm not very advanced), are : "Through the Rain" Mariah Carey; "Wonderful Tonight" I think that's by Eric Clapton?; "Landslide", or some type of tune like those. Also, if I was a little better skater, "Paint It Black" by Vanessa Carlton (I think it was Vanessa who covered it) might be a choice - I think I saw Tara Lipinski do a routine to that on TV a few weeks back, and I like it.

melanieuk - "Like A Virgin" is very appropriate for me right now :lol: although I'd never use it in a program 'cause it'd probably make me appear really foolish or something, and besides my mom kinda loathes Madonna so my mom might think I'm a slut just for cosidering her songs! :oops: :roll:

Raine
01-25-2003, 06:31 AM
I've picked an overture to a Stephen Sondheim musical called "Merrily We Roll Along". It's been rarely used in skating.

Cheers,
Raine

melanieuk
01-25-2003, 07:17 AM
Jazzpants:
Which parts of Until the Last Moment are you using?
I love this music.
But where to cut?

Skatingsarah
01-25-2003, 12:03 PM
I'm skating to "Merry Widow" for my long this year..agian. For the short as far as I know its going to be Cabaret. It should be fun. Good luck with all your programs skaters!
-Sarah

Terri C
01-25-2003, 08:20 PM
Hey DDP!
I'm also doing a 1:40 piece to Hello Dolly!
If I do a Adult Artistic this season I will probably skate to "The Best of Times" by Styx. My 20 year high school reunion is this October and I think it would be a good tribute piece.

rinsk
01-26-2003, 07:47 PM
My freeskate's from Les Violons d'Enfer (The Violins of Hell) by Angele Dubeau. It starts off as El Amor Brujo by deFalla and changes into a violin version of Paint it Black. I love my music: it's so dramatic and just different.

My artistic/interpretive is from the Amelie soundtrack: I use the piano version of Amelie's Waltz. The theme is still a work in progress.

Last year my showcase was to Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend from Moulin Rouge. If I get the time, I want to do one this year to When Velma Takes the Stand from Chicago (it wasn't used in the movie so I figure it won't end up being one of those things that everyone uses).

I can't wait until I'm 25 and can take my adult freestyle tests in the US (I figure that's 3 more solos to pick music for).

jazzpants
01-26-2003, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by melanieuk
Jazzpants:
Which parts of Until the Last Moment are you using?
I love this music.
But where to cut?

Check your PM... :)

Mrs Redboots
01-27-2003, 05:36 AM
Yesterday we were listening to the radio and they played Ravel's "Bolero" and made some snide comment about Torvill & Dean. But they also played a fragment of another piece by Ravel, which had some weird title (in French) like Modern Art or Mathematical Picture or something like that. I thought at the time that [list=a]
I'd like to listen to the whole piece, and
I'd love to skate to that, if I were good enough!
[/list=a]

dani
01-27-2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Raine
I've picked an overture to a Stephen Sondheim musical called "Merrily We Roll Along". It's been rarely used in skating.

Cheers,
Raine

Sounds like it might be better suited to a roller program ;-)

Sorry, couldn't resist.

ps) I still refer to things by roller terms instinctively ;-)