View Full Version : Keeping w-w-warm in a c-c-cold rink

RoaringSkates
01-14-2003, 08:50 AM
The ice rink where I train is semi-enclosed. It has a roof, but no walls to enclose it. Most of the time, I am fine, but when it gets really cold, I freeze my tushy off. Anyone have any tips on how they keep warm while skating in this type of environment?

I just bought one of those ski ear covers/headbands, so now my ears should be warm. My hands are always freezing. I do wear gloves, but my gloves need to be close fitting and flexible enough to move my fingers, so they are fairly thin. My legs also get cold, as do my feet in my skates. I need to wear clothes that I can move in, but they need to be warmer than what I'm wearing now, obviously!

I normally wear fleecy yoga pants with tights under them, plus a shirt or two (the other day, I wore three!) and a windbreaker, plus gloves (the other day I actually put two pairs of gloves on).

I'm usually good after my warm-up, but I get very cold when we slow down to work on specific moves.

peachstatesk8er
01-14-2003, 09:19 AM
Have you tried the wind blocking gloves from REI or LLBean? They're awesome.

garyc254
01-14-2003, 09:21 AM
It might not be fashionable, but some type of hat on the crown of your head will help hold in the heat.

My coach wears thin skating gloves and then puts insulated nylon mittens on over the top. She takes the mittens off if she's doing something requiring her fingers. She also wears a fur lined parka that she can zip and unzip as need be.

Silk long johns (check the sporting-goods hunting department) help keep the breezes out.

Make sure your boots are warm before you put them on. Under the heater in the car or use the blowdryer in the bathroom (if they have one). I know one girl that carries a hair blowdryer in her skate bag and will plug in and warm her boots when necessary.

skaternum
01-14-2003, 03:55 PM
I highly recommend the neoprene boot covers, sold under the name Ice Light. I believe Rainbo has them. They really help keep my feet warm.