View Full Version : Teaching CanSkate/Learn To Skate

singerskates
01-13-2003, 09:55 PM
Now that I'm feeling better I was able to start teaching CanSkate/Learn to Skate last week. Turns out that because I can actually get a kid to want to skate, that the coaches send me the problem kids. At first they don't want to stay on the ice and wine. But then with my experience from previous years of teaching CanSkate and with teaching in schools (kindergarten and up), I've learn over the years how to reach the kids where they are. I tap into the kids imaginations. For example, to get a child to stop walking like they walk in street shoes and skate, you get them (must be 7 or younger for this one.) you get them to pretend to walk like a duck and then get them to quack. This also gets them to start to feel their inside edges. Another one to remind kids to keep their arms up for their balance is to do the airplane technique. You explane to the child that if the plane drops a wing that the place will crash. Sound effect work great for this too. Playing games with the child will make it fun for them and also side track them so that they won't think what they are doing is work but just part of the game.

What are your experiences teaching CanSkate/Learn to Skate as test skater/competitive skater/adult skater?

This can be a weekly Thread.

arena_gal
01-13-2003, 11:27 PM
Our adult skater came for two weeks to help out and then we never saw her again.

If after 3 weeks the little darling is still lying on the ice refusing to move, we give the parent their money back (less Skate Canada, section levy, insurance etc etc) and tell them that we look forward to them trying again next year.

So now that we're grooving in about the middle of the program, we're having a good season, we've actually taken less "toys" off the ice and are using more stickers although we did play soccer with some beach balls that we found. One kid has gone from never having skated to badge 4 already, the private coaches are salivating but she's determined to play hockey next year!

Our PA's get to skate a program of their own, usually their competitive program, once during the Canskate season. This has always been the greatest thing for encouraging the little kids, to see their "teacher" all dressed up in performance outfit and skating a solo. Makes heros out of them and we all need that.

I've been the CanSkate admin person for several years now, I like the job actually, and always threaten to go out on the ice and lead a group, if I could only find the right dress to test my preliminary freeskate I'd be right out there! That's a fine joke around the club we have enough teenage PA's that I don't need to take a group. However, I have slogged enough volunteer hours as a "assistant PA" in the pre-Canskate levels to pay the ice time for The Kid.

garyc254
01-14-2003, 08:00 AM
I'm not involved in Canskate, nor am I a coach, but I think kids are cool and love to see them learn to skate.

On Monday evenings, I get to the rink quite early before the learn-to-skate programs begin. The ice is sectioned to allow each level to have their own patch to practice on and the program director (my coach) keeps one patch open for anyone to practice. I usually get onto the latter patch and warm my muscles up before the freestyle session.

Since most of the coaches are busy trying to work with their groups, I keep an eye out for problems. The little girl with skates two sizes to big. The "hockey jock" kid that's skating around and knocking people down. And the ever dreaded "THUD" of a fall.

I'm fast with an ice pack and quick with a compliment.

One tip I learned for dealing with an injured child. Ask them where it hurts. Ask them how it happened. Ask them anything to get them talking. Once you've got them talking, you're almost there in getting them back on the ice (of course that is if the injury is superficial). Then, if need be, go back on the ice with them. If they're not comfortable going back to their class group, take them to the "open" patch and just let them skate for a while. Hold a hand, if need be.

Skating helps them learn good body and mind discipline in a fun environment. And who knows where their skating will lead them in the future.

dobiesk8r
01-14-2003, 08:31 AM
Good topic Singerskates.

I just started teaching the learn to skate this winter and I
find I'm enjoying it, for the most part. I've taught hockey,
adults, and tots. Hockey boys/girls and adults are my
favorites, by far. In the tot class there always seems to
be one child who doesn't want to do something or whose
feet hurt. This weekend in the tot class, the little girl with
the most natural talent was the biggest whiner. The girl
with the least talent had the best attitude - she kept trying
and asked me at the end of class if she was doing one of
the moves correctly. Great kid!

For some reason, the beginner hockey skaters seem like
a different breed of kid - much tougher. My son is an
avid hockey player, and I taught him to skate, so I have
a lot of fun with them, and they like a little competition,
like who can skate faster across the rink, etc.

I taught an adult class which was interesting because the
adults were of mixed abilities (why the rink lumps them all
into adult category is beyond me). I wound up making the
best skater go faster, point her toes (form) and do t-stops
in her "bad" direction. The nice thing about adults is that
they all want to be there, as opposed to being pushed into
it by parents who will always remain on the sidelines:roll:
And they ask good questions, like what is the one thing that
they should focus on when they practice during the week.
All together now: BEND YOUR KNEES and when you're done
bending them, BEND THEM SOME MORE:lol:

dbny
01-14-2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by arena_gal
If after 3 weeks the little darling is still lying on the ice refusing to move, we give the parent their money back (less Skate Canada, section levy, insurance etc etc) and tell them that we look forward to them trying again next year.

We had one little boy last year whose older sister was also in the program. This poor little guy just couldn't stand up, he really didn't have the muscle tone for it and the rentals skates were awful. We refunded his fees and never expected to see him again. This year both he and his sister showed up. His parents had painted his sister's old skates black, as they fit him now. His muscle tone had improved significantly, and all of a sudden, he loves to skate! He is so proud that the toughest coach asked to have him in his class. Children grow and change so fast.

backspin
01-14-2003, 04:02 PM
While I claim to hate teaching the tots classes, everytime I'm assigned one I do end up having fun. The whole key is play, play, play! Lots of games, lots of different activities.

The best thing ever invented for teaching tots is Beanie Babies! My rink keeps a couple buckets of them. Give each kid a beanie, tell them THROW IT! Then they go get it & bring it back, then throw it again! They never get tired of that. Also line a few up on the ice & have them do swizzles over them--tell them make their toes "kiss" between each one. Also helps teach the kids to stand in line & take turns.

The best warmup for tots--get a bottle of magic bubbles & blow bubbles for them to chase & pop. Tell them to run over the ones that land on the ice. They're so busy chasing the bubbles they'll skate like crazy & never think of being scared. ;)

KatieC
01-15-2003, 12:13 PM
Reading this thread brings back good memories. I used to help with a learn to skate program for about three years. My favourite was to draw pictures on the ice using a big magic marker, and either have the children try to scrub them off using their skate blades, or, after a couple of weeks, I'd draw pictures to make a story. We'd go on adventures through the jungle, or across an ocean, or into the forest, and do all the motions of the animals we'd meet. One time I had them all jump off the edge of Newfoundland into the ocean. I forgot that I'd never had them jump before, but every one of them jumped into the "ocean" and started swimming to England. It was such a hoot. On that trip we met dolphins, jellyfish, whales and a couple of submarines before we finally made it to the White Cliffs of Dover. One little boy "climbed up" the ladder, and promptly sat on the blue bird! :roll:

vesperholly
01-15-2003, 02:20 PM
Backspin, I do the same "kiss" thing with sculling/swizzles! :-) I also use cones to get them to understand slaloms, and lots of other silly stuff.

What makes the biggest difference is if you remember their names. I try to give them silly nicknames. For example, there is a girl in my Tuesday class whose name is Katherine, and I call her Special K.

Jocelyn

arena_gal
01-15-2003, 03:16 PM
Nametags, nice laminated ones. If the kids doesn't have their nametag they don't get on the ice, helps with registration problems and especially for the instructors because all little boys in hockey skates and black helmets look the same, well to me that is.

We're struggling a bit with these Bank of Montreal Canskater of the year awards. We have to pick only one as well as two spirit awards. Picking one kid is tough, it breaks my heart sometimes, there are so many who deserve awards.

garyc254
01-15-2003, 03:49 PM
We're struggling a bit with these Bank of Montreal Canskater of the year awards. We have to pick only one as well as two spirit awards. Picking one kid is tough, it breaks my heart sometimes, there are so many who deserve awards.

This is where I disagree with big awards. For very young children, there should only be participation awards. They can't comprehend how one person can be better than another. Giving awards like "The Best" or "First Place" can turn kids away if they aren't chosen.

dbny
01-15-2003, 04:22 PM
Nametags, nice laminated ones. If the kids doesn't have their nametag they don't get on the ice, helps with registration problems and especially for the instructors because all little boys in hockey skates and black helmets look the same, well to me that is.

We did that last year and it was a mess. Kids lost their nametags, we had the metal clips on the ice, and we were constantly handing out temps. Do you have any suggestions? How did your school handle it?

Gary
ITA

vesperholly
01-15-2003, 08:33 PM
My rink uses stickers, but those get lost or fall off too. Plus the sticker don't have names - just the time of the child's class (first or second half) and teacher. I'd like to see laminated cards on neck bands like competition credentials. I'm trying to convince my club to do it.

Jocelyn

CanAmSk8ter
01-15-2003, 10:34 PM
For nametages, my rink uses those ones with safety pins on the backs where the card is inside the plastic thing that folds over. They have their name and their "shape" on it. (We have signs around the ice- blue traingle, red circle, etc.- that indicate a space for a class to meet. Each kid's nametag has the appropriate shape and the appropriate color. It gets confusing though, because other than the tots, who are always right next to the entrance, the levels meet at different shapes on different days, and when kids come to do a makeup class, it can be confusing to figure out where they go.)

I claim to hate teaching tots, but after a week or two with a group, I'm usually debating whether I should beg to have the Basic 2 class next session so I can have the same kids :lol: The first week or two with three- and four-year-olds can be very difficult, but by the third week or so, most of the kids will skate alone with prompting. I am, for some reason, extremely popular with four-year-old boys.

Now if only I could translate that skill to the twenty-four-year-old boys, I'd be very happy ;)

arena_gal
01-16-2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by vesperholly
I'd like to see laminated cards on neck bands like competition credentials. I'm trying to convince my club to do it.

Jocelyn

This is what we use. The laminated cards are color coded as to what class time they're in. They're the most expensive solution we've had, but they work the best and are popular with skaters, parents and coaches.

A long time ago we used to have plastic discs that you'd lace into or tie onto your skate, but what with plastic buckle skates, and hockey boys who didn't want to admit they took lessons, it was hard to have everyone wear them.

Lee
01-17-2003, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by garyc254
This is where I disagree with big awards. For very young children, there should only be participation awards. They can't comprehend how one person can be better than another. Giving awards like "The Best" or "First Place" can turn kids away if they aren't chosen. The BoM Canskater of the Year awards are necessarily designed for the 'best' Canskater on the ice. They are designed for the child who demonstrates the 'passion, spirit and triumph' of skating. We've had kids win in regions who are overcoming disabilities to skate, or show incredible determination, perserverance or dedication. Maybe they just epitomize the 'joy of skating.'

Our club hands out their BoM Canskate awards at the annual carnival. Along with all the test skaters who have highlights or solos, it's nice to be able to recognize a few of the younger skaters for their accomplishments during the year. I've yet to see a kid in tears at the rink because they didn't get the award -- canNOT say I haven't seen *parents* squawking because they thought their kid *should* have gotten the award...*sigh*... Kids seem to understand the nature of competition much better than many of their parents do...