View Full Version : big Band Music

Skatingsarah
01-12-2003, 11:45 AM
I'm looking for a short program with BIG BAND MUSIC I was wondering if anyone had any sugestions. If any one of you saw Canadians something like Ben Ferriria's short with maybe for of a rhythm or attitude. Hope you guys can help because I am past the desperate stage

Elsy2
01-12-2003, 02:34 PM
I was checking out music on Amazon today, and put in a search for Big Band.....one 3 disc CD popped up with a ton of music. But what intrigued me the most was a CD called "Swingin' for the Fences", Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band. You can go to Amazon.com and hear some of the selections. What I liked about this CD was that it's music that isn't recorded in the 40's, so the quality will be very good. He does his interpretation of tunes that are well known sometimes....one of the tracks is "Sing, Sang, Sung", which is very close to "Sing, Sing, Sing".

Good luck in your search! By the way, I often order used CD's from Amazon too, and I usually get them fairly quickly.

skaternum
01-12-2003, 07:45 PM
At the risk of getting a reputation for suggesting what NOT to use ...

Pleaes do not use Sing, Sing, Sing. Thank you. ;)

jp1andOnly
01-12-2003, 08:55 PM
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy or Cherry Poppin (poppin cherry) something like that. For a Canadian twist, try the Boss Brass (sometimes found under Rob Maconnel(sp?) and the Boss Brass

Elsy2
01-12-2003, 09:04 PM
LOL Skaternum....I should have added don't use, Sing, Sang, Sung either!

Skatingsarah
01-14-2003, 08:12 PM
I've never heard sing sang sung but I will defintely have to know that you people wont stop talking about it. Is it really that innoying??
-Sarah

Elsy2
01-15-2003, 07:08 AM
It's not that Sing, Sing, Sing is annoying...it's just been way overused in skating programs. It would be better to pick something that hasn't been heard a million times already. Sing, Sang, Sung, is Gordon Goodwin's rendition of Sing, Sing, Sing...they sound very similar.

skaternum
01-15-2003, 09:35 AM
Sing, Sing, Sing (S3) isn't merely "annoying." It's just that we've heard it a million darned times!! I've only been in the skating community for about 7 years, and there are just some things that get done to death. I'm on a one woman mission to:
end the overuse of certain pieces of music (Malaguena, S3, anything from a Tchaikovsky ballet, Don Quixote, e.g.) convince adult skaters that skating dresses come in colors other than BLACK! (It looks like a freakin' funeral on the ice during warmup.)

If you'd like to help with this mission, please spread the word. :)

Mrs Redboots
01-16-2003, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by Skaternum
convince adult skaters that skating dresses come in colors other than BLACK! (It looks like a freakin' funeral on the ice during warmup.)
But, Skaternum, do any clothes come in colours other than black??? So slimming, you know....

skaternum
01-16-2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Mrs Redboots
But, Skaternum, do any clothes come in colours other than black??? So slimming, you know....

Haha! Actually, I happen to think that black clothes on the ice can make one look worse, because one's outline (interpret that as bulges, lumps, rolls, whatever) stand out in stark contrast to the very white ice. It's just too cliched for my taste, too. Just MNSHO.