View Full Version : Popping Jumps

sk8ing is lyfe
01-10-2003, 10:01 PM
Does anyone have any ways to help when sk8ers pop jumps?

I know sk8rs with this problem, and i think it is kinda common... help please!

sk8er1964
01-11-2003, 05:23 PM
I think that popping is basically mental - you mind thinks that there's something wrong with the jump, whether or not that is true. Check out some of the responses to the "mental anguish" thread - there were some good suggestions.

Skatingsarah
01-12-2003, 11:40 AM
Its mostly mental your right but...
*Popping has alot to do with the way u set everything up. If you dotn have a good take off esp. on your triples your rotation and position in the air can faulter.
* Be positive, dont go into a jump doubting yourself, or saying geez I really hope I do this jump. If you have done it before you can do it again think good things!
*If its in the program that you pop jumps do all your jumps in practice or warm up they way there are in the program its one thing to land them in the warm up or practice but another thing to not pop in the program.
*Dont be afraid to fall This is a big fear for some people take it from me! Falling is better then popping, I know it hurts...ALOT ;) but you in a short its better to fall then not to try at all. Plus if you fall instead of popping you are more likely to get the jump because you are trying it!

:!: Hope it Helps:!:
-Sarah

love2sk8
01-12-2003, 03:41 PM
For lots of people, popping is definitly mental. But another main reason for popping is something that goes wrong during the first rotation of the jump, such as the skater senses that they are tilted in the air, and will land the jump on a body part other than one foot;) It's happened too many times for me to count...:(

Make sure that as you set up the jump, you aren't rushing!! Sooo many people rush...everyone does it...but if you take your time to set the jump up properly, with the correct technique, there is no reason to pop.

It's soo important not to doubt yourself, and you cannot ask yourself if you can do the jump as you're going into it. The reason you are trying it is because you are ready, and do actually have a chance at landing it!

Hope this helps;)