View Full Version : Power 3's--The end pattern

MissIndigo
01-08-2003, 02:07 PM
For the power threes in the preliminary and adult bronze moves tests, I understand that the end pattern is optional. For the life of me though, I cannot come up with a good optional pattern! I plan to start with my left power threes and finish up with my right power threes, and I'm having trouble getting on a good RFO edge to initiate the turn. I can do the turn just fine; just getting it set up is what's bothering me. I've tried plain stroking, and I've tried looping around with clockwise crossovers to get me on that edge. The latter might work--I don't know.

Any ideas? If you've passed these tests, what was your end pattern? I'm open to suggestions to try at my next session.

(Also, what can help get crossovers on a wider arc? Obviously, more knee bend and push with both feet helps as I'm finding, but shouldn't a strong check in the shoulder help too, like checking back with the right shoulder a bit for CCW crossovers?)

jenlyon60
01-08-2003, 02:48 PM
I do CCW back crossovers around the end which sets up very nicely (when it works) for the choctaw into the first RFO3.

dani
01-08-2003, 03:05 PM
When I get my video back from my coach, I will look at what all I saw at the Peach.

What I did was the choctaw like I was going to do the next 3 turn. I did forward crossovers around the corner. I did an RFI mohawk and a crossover just like the pattern would have been around and started on the RFI edge.

Does that make sense? It worked well for me and seems like more of a variety than back crossovers.

Good luck with it!!
Danielle

Elsy2
01-08-2003, 04:17 PM
My power 3's were very shallow, and to help get more arc on the crossovers, my coach told me to exaggerate sticking my hip out while stepping on the first back inside edge of the back crossover....this helped create more arc in the pattern...So, for example you do the LFO 3, big check, now while setting down the right foot for the crossover you stick the right hip out at the same time. This made a big difference in doing these, and I asked her why she didn't show me this sooner? She just said, "you weren't ready to hear it..."

As for the end pattern, most times I see front crossovers.

skaternum
01-08-2003, 06:38 PM
I tried several different end patterns, but what worked best for me was to do CCW forward crossovers into a lunge / swooshy thing (left foot sort of stationary and right foot doing the lunge / pivot / swooshy thing) so that I draw the right foot around and turn and get in the correct position to start the RFO three. Sorry I can't describe it any better.

Chico
01-08-2003, 10:53 PM
My coach taught me much like Elsy. On Elsy's hip thing I think puuuuuush, and then puuuuush. Power 3's are supposed to be done with speed and strength and this is where this happens. The 3 is controlled however. Check hard. My coach has done these with me and I find trying to imitate him helps on the speed and strength too. He even yells, "Puuuuuuush! Puuuuuuuuush!" at the correct times. I have also discovered that keeping my shoulder firmly checked, my shoulders and arms low, and palms out helps me. As for the end I do forward crossovers across the end, keeping my pace up, and enter back on the fist 3 to start the next pattern. You have to check extra hard on that first 3 due to the speed. It's kinda scary at first. Good luck.

Chico

MissIndigo
01-08-2003, 11:50 PM
Yup, the speed on my "bad side" can freak me out sometimes, hence needing a comfortable setup for the turn. I can do a nice, smooth, RFO three at speed when the move is alone, but switching from the CCW movement to the CW movement so quickly right now has me a bit disoriented when I try to do the pattern. I've even contemplated starting on the right foot and get those turns over with, and proceed with the left foot last since I can check stronger on that side. We'll see--I'll just have to try different things. All the suggestions so far have been great--I appreciate them!

dbuckley
01-09-2003, 08:36 AM
I worked on these last summer at Lake Placid and the end pattern that the coach there gave works great for me. I do the final crossover of the LBO 3 lobe back to the axis. I then do one opposite crossover following the outline of the hockey circle. I then step forward, do 3 strokes across the end of the rink followed by a left swing roll around the new hockey circle and finally step
into the right 3 turn.

Elsy2
01-09-2003, 09:53 AM
Oooo! I like that end pattern! I'll have to try it next time out.

MissIndigo
01-09-2003, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by dbuckley
I worked on these last summer at Lake Placid and the end pattern that the coach there gave works great for me. I do the final crossover of the LBO 3 lobe back to the axis. I then do one opposite crossover following the outline of the hockey circle. I then step forward, do 3 strokes across the end of the rink followed by a left swing roll around the new hockey circle and finally step
into the right 3 turn.

Yes! My coach has suggested the exact same pattern for me to try!