View Full Version : Have you tried a floor spinner?

Luenatic
01-07-2003, 04:51 PM
I'm tempted to buy one and try it out. There is a picture at one of the online store: http://www.rainbosportsshop.com/images/R03SPIN11.jpg

Can it really help you spin better? I just have difficulty imagining how to do a 3-turn on a floor spinner (you know, the 3-turn right before the one-foot spin entrance).

What's your opinion?

love2sk8
01-07-2003, 05:07 PM
I have a floor spinner...In order to get the spin started, you have to use your free foot to push into the spin. Good balance is a must...more than on the ice, IMO! I don't think it helps the spins too much tho...its awkward, and takes alot of time to get it right. Even a simple spin is crazy, let alone sits or camels! But its possible...theyre really fun though, so u should give it a try!;)

dbny
01-07-2003, 07:49 PM
Be careful, they are known to throw you like a bronco.

iceskaterdawn
01-07-2003, 09:29 PM
I have one, and found it to be a total waste of money. I got it because I was having trouble spinning. I thought by working on my spins off the ice I would be a better spinner on the ice. It was ten times harder to use the spinner than it was to spin on the ice. And like dbny mentioned be careful. I was doing a scratch spin, and I am not sure what it was that I did, but the thing literally threw me across the room and I hit a wooden chair. Falling on the ice was a lot less painful then that. I put the spinner away in my closet and didn't get it out again for ages. Then once my on ice spins became pretty good I pulled the spinner out to see if I was able to practice on it yet, and I still found it next to impossible to spin on.

Dawn

what?meworry?
01-07-2003, 11:54 PM
the skate spinner is a total waste of time an money. your money and time is better spent on ice time and in skates working on your spins in the real world. our coach promoted it because the "inventor' was a long time friend. we bought it and never used it after the first try. nor did the coach who promoted it actually do any off-ice instruction with it. so much for that!

Mrs Redboots
01-08-2003, 07:05 AM
I have one, and use it quite a bit - not so much for spinning, but it's marvellous for practising balance (I have issues with that), and 3-turns, and stuff like that.

Alexeiskate
01-08-2003, 10:17 AM
I had a coach that can maintain a camel position and low sit spin position while spinning on that circle spinner thing. I have no idea how he was able to train himself to do that. For me it was useless and a waste of money.

Have you guys seen those rectangular plastic plates that are sold on TV to move furnitures around easily? On QVC during Christmas, those plates were sold with straps on them so that people can fasten them to their feet and "skate" around on their carpet. One lady called in to order them and said that she will use them for exercising. Yeah, right. I wonder how long that exercise routine is gonna last.

KatieC
01-08-2003, 04:23 PM
I have one and I can't honestly say it's helped very much at all. I will say I can do a better sit spin on the spinner than I can on the ice - most annoying. My knees are practically glued together in a sit spin on the spinner, while on ice you could place a ruler between the knees. Go figure?!:(

IceAngel725
01-08-2003, 04:39 PM
I love my spinner! (it's the metal kind though) It's helped me a lot.... without it I probably would still have very bad spins! It takes a little time to get used to, but after a few hours I could do a basic spin- after that I just got used to it. I can do sit spins and camel spins on it too... in fact i could do camels on it long before i could on the ice! also i notice that if i don't use it my spins aren'y centered at all, but when i use it my spins are very centered. i don't know, maybe i'm just weird, but my spinner has definitely helped me. I would say that you should definitely try it because you never know.

you do have to be careful though... i've been "thrown off" it a few times, but i think that was when i was trying to get more speed or changing something about the spin.