View Full Version : Flying with Skates???

icesk8er31
01-06-2003, 11:29 AM
Ok, so I have to fly to NYC on Wednesday for business and have an appointment with Don Klingbeil while there to make some adjustments to my new skates. Has anyone tried to fly with their skates recently? If so, what happened? I called the airline and they said they had no restrictions against carrying on figure skates, but that seems kind of crazy to me. If they confiscate tweezers, why would they allow skates? Also, with checked luggage, you can't lock your suitcase anymore. So, if they do get checked, not only do they risk being smashed or damaged or lost, they now risk being stolen. Suggestions? Expereiences?

All the best!

skaternum
01-06-2003, 12:02 PM
I just recently flew to NY with my skates (and went to Klingbeil's too!). I put the hard plastic guards on my skates, put them in a standard "pilot case" suitcase, and checked it. No problems. If you're really worried about damage to them, wrap lots of towels around them. Mine were just fine without any additional padding.

Before you leave, you might also take some close up pictures or video of the skates, to include the make/model info on the boot and the blade. That way, if they get lost and the airline has to pay for them, you can easily prove to the airline (a) you really had them and (b) skates really DO cost that much. You might want to check with the airline about reimbursement limitations before you fly. (This is something I do with any valuable, not just skates.)

Chances are, they'll be just fine!

Blue Line
01-06-2003, 12:21 PM
Don Korte's site has a section on this:

http://www.sk8stuff.com/f_basic_ref/air_travel_with_skates.htm

I swear that I read somewhere that Northwest Airlines now allows skates to be in carry-on luggage (stowed away in a locked cabinet or whatnot), but I can't remember where I read that.

love2sk8
01-06-2003, 01:39 PM
I recently flew to a Challenge competition with my skates, and we weren't allowed bringing them on the plane with us. Kinda scary, because our flights weren't direct...I had to put mine in my suitcase, but I wrapped them in my clothes. I'm not sure about the States tho...but no skates on planes in Canada!:(

Mrs Redboots
01-07-2003, 10:06 AM
It very much depends on the airline as to whether they require you to check them in or not. One of the skaters at last year's Mountain Cup was an airline steward, and he got his airline (don't know which one) to rule that he, and the other skaters from his rink, could certainly carry their skates, which they did.

It is probably sensible to ring the airline and explain, and offer to check them with the stewardess as you board the plane - usually if they know in advance they are sensible.

ddpskater
01-07-2003, 11:05 AM
At Laguardia recently I was told by the ticket counter I could not carry skates on and it was too late (ie too close to take-off to check them) and it was the last flight of the day and I needed my skates in the morning. So.... I went to security with them and chatted with the technician and I guess he didn't think I was a 44 year old skating mom terrorist, so I got them on. If you are going (rather then returning) it's now really important to go early enough so you can get them checked and on to your flight if they insist. Good luck.

iceskaterdawn
01-07-2003, 05:35 PM
United Airlines now allows them to be carried on. I was afraid to fly with them in my checked baggage since I couldn't lock my suitcase, so my mom talked to several different United people and also several of the TSA security people when she was at O'Hare this past week, and everyone of them said that the skates could be carried on without any problems.

Dawn

icesk8er31
01-10-2003, 12:24 AM
Just wanted to let everyone know that American let me carry on my skates out of Nashville. Now I have an appointment with Don Klingbeil tomorrow to get a few adjustments and I am so excited. I'll let you know what happens with the airlines coming out of LGA, but I think this is good news for all of us that have to travel with our skates.

All the best!

Ice