View Full Version : USFSA Test Fees

MissIndigo
01-04-2003, 12:20 PM
I just e-mailed USFSA with these exact words, since I'll need an official reply from them to forward to the board members of my club. But if any of you know the answer offhand, or what your club does, I'd appreciate some insight:

I was wondering if testing fees for MITF tests (or all tests, for that matter) are set by the USFSA member clubs or if they are set by the USFSA. The reason that I am asking is that my club is holding its first test session since the adult MITF tests have offerred, and I need to know what my fee will be. I'll forward my reply to our club president and test chair also, as I'm sure it will be of interest to them.

(I got my test app but it doesn't have any Adult MITF tests listed! These should be offerred, since we have Silver level judges coming!)

One more thing...is the USFSA pretty timely with replies?

skaternum
01-04-2003, 02:21 PM
MissIndigo,
The answer is a little of both. USFSA establishes a very small test fee(it was $3.00 last year, I think) for each test. They then leave it up to the individual club to add on whatever it needs to cover the expenses of running test sessions. These expenses include buying ice time, providing judges with hotel, food, and transportation, printing applications, mailing results to USFSA, etc. So the cost of taking the same test will vary widely from club to club.

The person you need to talk to is your test chair!

skaternum

CanAmSk8ter
01-04-2003, 07:23 PM
Skaternum said about what I was going to say, but I thought I'd add that while I've never had to email the USFSA, I've heard that they are pretty quick with replies.

Edited to add that some clubs also add in the cost of the USFSA's pin/medal/whatever for the test. My club does, and they give them out at our annual meeting. Other clubs leave it up to you to buy them from the USFSA if you want them. They aren't cheap, either! My old club was unreliable about having the right emblems, so I don't have my Bronze dance medal and it's going to cost me $15! I'm getting it, though, because this year I'll be getting the Pre-Silver bar to go on top of it.

MissIndigo
01-04-2003, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by CanAmSk8ter

Edited to add that some clubs also add in the cost of the USFSA's pin/medal/whatever for the test. My club does, and they give them out at our annual meeting.

My club doesn't :evil: and I've never understood why. Oh well. If I really want the medal, I'll fork over the money for it.

Just hope I pass my test first though! :lol:

dbny
01-04-2003, 11:31 PM
Some clubs use test sessions as fund raisers, and most charge more for non-club members. If a test session brings in enough skaters there is definitely the potential for fund raising, but setting fees too high can also create ill will.

Stormy
01-05-2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by skaternum
MissIndigo,
The answer is a little of both. USFSA establishes a very small test fee(it was $3.00 last year, I think) for each test. They then leave it up to the individual club to add on whatever it needs to cover the expenses of running test sessions. These expenses include buying ice time, providing judges with hotel, food, and transportation, printing applications, mailing results to USFSA, etc. So the cost of taking the same test will vary widely from club to club.

The person you need to talk to is your test chair!

skaternum

Actually, the $3.00 is the fee for each test to be registered at USFSA. I used to be test chair at my club and when I filled out all the test report forms, each test taken cost the club $3.00 to register with USFSA.
But definitely, talk to your test chair. We new the Adult tests were going into effect for a while now so they should have updated their forms/fees already (hopefully).

skaternum
01-05-2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Stormy
Actually, the $3.00 is the fee for each test to be registered at USFSA.

Yes, this is what I meant. I didn't mean to imply anything else. If it's a USFSA fee, it goes to USFSA. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

blue111moon
01-06-2003, 07:22 AM
My club bases test fees on the length of time the test takes to hold and we factor in the cost of bringing in the judges - high test judges are harder to find and have to travel further to come - and warmup time per skater.

To get an idea of how much the adult tests should cost, I'd check to see the estimated time to complete the test and compare that with the stand level tests. The Silver level test is roughly Juvenile so I'd set the fees at the same level.

MissIndigo
01-06-2003, 08:14 AM
My test chair did get back in touch with me and I'm set to pay the fee for the Bronze test. I'm fine with that, and it's roughly comparable to the corresponding preliminary and pre-juvenile moves tests.

Now to just work on polishing those moves!