View Full Version : Sponsorship

b2tfuture
01-03-2003, 12:16 PM
My child has been skating since he was 9 and is now 17. Due to the fact that he is graduating from high school in June he will have to quit skating as we cannot pay for skating and University and University in our eyes must take priority. My question is are there any other parents out there in similiar situations?
My son has always been technically able, but has lacked in the artistry. He now has all triples with exception to the axel, coaches tell us all the time that he has not reached his potential yet as he is continually improving they are disappointed that he is quitting.
Has anyone ever had any luck in getting a sponser?? I tried many years ago but was unsuccessful.

Thanks!

kar5162
01-03-2003, 04:11 PM
Is he going to college where there is a skating program? Is he at a high enough level where he can coach? The university I went to had a good skating program and they allow certain higher level skaters to also teach. (Even at a low level I was able to assist with tot classes in exchange for ice team.)

Skating at some universities can be super cheap and working part time (as a coach) may not only allow him to keep skating, but also teach responsibility and encourage good time management. Maybe not allow for skating 4 sessions a day, but if he's enjoying skating..

JD
01-04-2003, 05:28 PM
Are you in US or Canada?
If you are in the US... congratulations...you guys can actually get real tax credits without a major runaround...

Mine sort of fell into a sponsorship...she was featured on CTV in Canada by the Bank of Montreal..and did a few TV and paper interviews...it just sort of spiralled from there,

A couple of prominant people in our business community offered to assist with some of her skating costs...but we were lucky...considering she is quite young...

Since then, I've tried to use my PR background, sadly gathering dust as I'm now in law, to skater marketing...it tends to work very well, not just for her, but a few others I've been able to work with...

Her club has promo'd her as much as possible too, so again, we've been lucky...

The Athletes Trust, if you're in Canada may be of some assistance. If you are here, please PM me for an explanation...

Otherwise, I would start with the outer circle of people you know [or don't]. Get your club behind you, if you can to promo him in a local newspaper, etc as one of the club's "up and coming'...

If you have a lions club-go to them...they are often quite helpful to community athletes, in my experience...

this is a start, feel free to PM...I must run for now....:D