View Full Version : Keeping new boots nice

Kat
12-30-2002, 11:38 PM
Hi, long-time lurker, first-time poster here! :)

I have recently gotten a new pair of boots & blades and am in the process of trying to get back all the stuff I could do before. This is actually my first pair of NEW boots and although I know that scuffs and scratches are inevitable, I was wondering if you guys had any advice on how to keep them nice looking for as long as possible.

In particular, how can I keep the edge of the sole from getting too beat up (mostly from scraping along the ice when I fall)? I notice that's where my skates are taking the most damage so far. Also, any advice about skate tape?

Thanks for the help :)

Katya

dbny
12-31-2002, 01:23 AM
Congrats on your new boots and on returning to skating :D

Skate tape is terrific, but you can also use plain electrical tape. Apply a cream polish to your boots first and let it dry, but don't buff it. This makes it easier to get the tape off. Re-tape about every two months. Applying Skate Tape (http://www.sk8tape.com/sk8tape.asp?s=100&ss=&t=107)

ahmskate
12-31-2002, 04:26 AM
dbny,

If using skatetape, do you tape over the eyelet holes?

Thanks.

melanieuk
12-31-2002, 05:15 AM
I've had my Klingbeils for a year and 4 months.
People STILL ask me if they're new boots.

For the first 6 months I wore black boot covers over them whilst I was skating.

I always take my boots out of the bag, and place them somewhere warm until I use them again.

I polish and wax them about once every 2 months.

I treat them gently and with lots of care and attention.

I even have been known to give them a little kiss. :roll:

Treat them as your prize possession and you'll get extra mileage out of them.

Mrs Redboots
12-31-2002, 07:55 AM
One tip that gives boots an instant lift is to wash your laces! Take them out of your boots, tie them in a loose knot, and then tie them inside a laundry-bag or, failing that, a large sock or pair of tights, and drop them in the washing-machine with the weekly wash. They really do come out much whiter and brighter, and it's well worth doing occasionally.

mikawendy
12-31-2002, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Kat
In particular, how can I keep the edge of the sole from getting too beat up (mostly from scraping along the ice when I fall)? I notice that's where my skates are taking the most damage so far.

I would recommend getting your soles Sno-Sealed or buying Sno-Seal wax and doing it yourself (new Riedell skates come with instructions on how to apply Sno-Seal yourself, their web site may have the info).

The advantage of having a skate pro Sno-Seal your soles is that you can request that he or she remove the blades first so that the entire sole is Sno-Sealed. (I know some people remove blades themselves but I've never had the courage to do this!)

I had mine done right before I started learning lunges because the sole on the inside of the foot near the toe can get really beat up from lunges.

You can also wear boot covers (make sure to put them on your ankles BEFORE you put your boots on, then pull them over your boots when you're done tying the laces). Some people don't like how these look but they do protect the leather and the sole a bit (and may keep your feet a bit warmer).

Welcome, and feel free to post in the lessons/practises thread each week! Maybe we'll "see" you there! :D

dbny
12-31-2002, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by ahmskate
If using skatetape, do you tape over the eyelet holes?

According to the skatetape site: "Laces should be removed only if you want SK8TAPE ® to cover the leather surrounding the lace holes."

Click the link in my first response for complete instructions.

wannask8
12-31-2002, 07:48 PM
Hmmm, I was just thinking about this very topic because I had a little tumble last week and ended up with a little cut in one of my boots -- it’s real shallow and only a couple of millimeters long, but I felt like I’d cut my own skin, waah! I’ve got beginner Riedells (220s), so I called Alice over there in Minnesota, and she said to carefully seal the cut with a tiny bit of cement (like Duco) applied with a thin blade, let that dry/set, then polish.

I don’t know how protective boot covers are (the ones I’ve seen are either thin nylon or other soft fabric), so I’ll likely try the skate tape.

-- wannask8

Kat
01-03-2003, 02:55 AM
Thanks everyone for your responses. :)

A question about the skate tape... can the skate tape/electrical tape be put on the leather and wood parts of the heel, or will it leave those places gummy with the adhesive after the tape is removed?

TashaKat
01-03-2003, 09:38 AM
I like the slightly battered look! It shows that I'm a 'real' skater (LOL). I use Harlick pigment if I need my boots to be clean for a competition or test but generally wear skating tights over them anyway (and having purple free boots at the mo OTB tights are probably a good idea!).

For the heels/soles I sno-seal every now and then and definitely if I get a scrape.

I used to use tape on my boots when I had a free dance programme with a couple of drags in but that got scruffy as well! I, personally, wouldn't use it on the heels/soles, as I said before I would just use sno-seal to protect it.

L x

dbny
01-03-2003, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Kat
A question about the skate tape... can the skate tape/electrical tape be put on the leather and wood parts of the heel, or will it leave those places gummy with the adhesive after the tape is removed?

Polishing with cream first and changing the tape every two months prevents sticky problems. You can cover your entire boot with tape. A little cream polish when you change the tape takes care of any sticky residue. One important thing is to always remove the tape completely and polish and re-tape wherever it begins to come off. Once the exposed glue gets dirty, it does stain the leather.