View Full Version : preparing for lessons

DancinDiva
12-30-2002, 12:52 PM
Okay, as anyone knows from my last thread, I am about to start taking skating lessons. I was just wondering if anyone could give me some good warm-ups/stretches/exercises to prepare myself for the first lesson. I know some of you already gave me a few suggestions in my last thread, thanks a bunch! If anyone else can help, I'd really appreciate it! Oh, and I could also use some advice on breaking in my skates. They are brand new and SOOO stiff! I cannot bend my ankles or point my toes at all, and I don't see how I can possibly take the ice in them like that! Please help! Thanks!

Mrs Redboots
12-30-2002, 01:06 PM
At this time of year, the newspapers tend to be full of pre-ski stretching exercises; they'll do very nicely as pre-skating ones, too. When you go skating, you need to warm up and stretch as you do before any sport - I expect you have a warm-up routine already that is easily portable. Make sure you do that before putting your skates on.

As for breaking in your skates - you already own a pair of plastic blade guards, right? If not, get a pair, and put them on your blades so that you can wear your skates around the house. Don't walk about on them too much, but do stand, if you can - my husband and I like to do the ironing wearing new boots, it does help to break them in!

The old pro's trick was to wring out a pair of socks in warm water, then put them on and put your skates on on top, and wear them until your socks were dry. I'm never sure how good an idea that is, though.

Talking of socks, I wonder whether you know that you will be most comfortable wearing 10-20 denier nylon pop-sox rather than the thick sports socks that ought to be more comfortable! In fact they aren't - it's totally counter-intuitive, but thinner is better when it comes to what you wear in your skates!

dani
12-30-2002, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Mrs Redboots
Talking of socks, I wonder whether you know that you will be most comfortable wearing 10-20 denier nylon pop-sox rather than the thick sports socks that ought to be more comfortable! In fact they aren't - it's totally counter-intuitive, but thinner is better when it comes to what you wear in your skates!

I second that comment. I now just wear my skating tights even if I am wearing pants!

Of course, sometimes when I want the extra couple of minutes of practice time, I just pull a pair of slacks or a skirt over my skating skirt and stay in the tights/skirt all day! ;-)

Good luck and most of all, HAVE FUN!
Danielle

skaternum
12-30-2002, 04:01 PM
I generally warm up for skating by doing my normal pre-ballet class stretches and a short barre.

As for the skates, wear them with your very thin skating socks and just sit around the house. After a few days of sitting, stand in them. Don't walk too much because it puts pressure in different places than gliding does. When it comes right down to it, the only way to break in skates is to skate. ;)

RoaringSkates
01-02-2003, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Mrs Redboots

The old pro's trick was to wring out a pair of socks in warm water, then put them on and put your skates on on top, and wear them until your socks were dry. I'm never sure how good an idea that is, though.

The wet socks trick does work, but it breaks down your boots faster, so keep that in mind.

I second and third the idea of the thin socks. Thin is in when it comes to skating socks. I like either skating tights or else those microfiber trouser socks. Both are hearty enough to stand up to repeated wearings, but thin enough for skates.

garyc254
01-02-2003, 11:10 AM
Of course, the VERY best way to break in new boots is to skate in them.

I also like to arrive at the rink about a half hour before I can get on the ice, put my boots and blade guards on, and walk around the warming room a bit. This helps warm-up the leather. I'll also retighten my laces if necessary before going on the ice.

Blue Line
01-02-2003, 01:08 PM
re: wearing wet socks inside a skate to break them in...

I can imagine this helping the process along, but I'm certain that it won't do all of the work for you. Like Gary said: the best way to break 'em in is by skating in them.

That being said, I had a killer pair of soccer cleats that absolutely chewed up my feet while breaking them in (worse than any pair of skates I've had!). I complained to my coach, he told me to wear them in the shower and then walk around in them until they dried. It's the same as the wet sock theory: wetting the leather to soften it up, wearing them so that they mold to your feet when they dry. I can imagine this working much better with soccer cleats, though. The leather is 1/2 as thick!

KatieC
01-02-2003, 11:32 PM
I don't know if this applies, but I'll pass it on anyway.
My Dad did hockey and baseball equipment repairs as a post retirement hobby for about 15 years. He used to curse the players who dunked their skates/gloves in water to soften them up. It ruins the leather. Think of what your best shoes look like after being caught in the rain.
Just skating in them is the best. Is there any way you can get to a rink for an adult or public skate before your lessons start?
Good luck with your skating. :)

CanAmSk8ter
01-03-2003, 07:34 PM
I always use a hairdryer to warm up my new skates before putting them on the first few times. Having the leather warmed up makes it mold to your feet faster. If they still don't feel broken in when it's time for your lessons, you could try getting one of those small travel hairdryers to keep in your bag for a few weeks.

Mrs Redboots
01-04-2003, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by CanAmSk8ter
I always use a hairdryer to warm up my new skates before putting them on the first few times. Having the leather warmed up makes it mold to your feet faster. If they still don't feel broken in when it's time for your lessons, you could try getting one of those small travel hairdryers to keep in your bag for a few weeks. As an alternative, in case there's nowhere to plug in your hairdryer, I have seen skaters use the so-called hand-driers (which never do, in my experience!) in the loos to warm up their skates.