View Full Version : For Adults: Age at First Axel

Clarice
12-30-2002, 08:56 AM
I'm a Silver level Adult skater, who will be working on my axel this year. I'd actually begun it a couple of years ago, but had to abandon the quest for awhile due to an ankle injury and then other goals took priority. Anyway, I'd really like to land this jump before I get too old to safely try it! I need a little inspiration, so I'm wondering how old some of you adult-start skaters were when you first landed this jump? The older, the better! I started skating when I was 37, and am 44 now - is this still a realistic goal?

melanieuk
12-30-2002, 09:36 AM
From standstill I only got about 5 fully rotated. The rest were short a quarter.
Started age 32, now 34, but I had skated for 3 years as a child.

PattyP
12-30-2002, 10:42 AM
I started taking lessons at the age of 34 and landed my first "cheated" axel at 36 and at 39 I'm starting land them clean, however I'm still struggling with consistancy. :roll:

PattyP

Designdiva
12-30-2002, 10:48 AM
I started working on it at age 28. Got it shortly after turning 29. I could do axels on the floor LONG before I got close to getting it on the ice. My axel took about a year of serious work which included getting over Fear of Forward edge, the Two-foot Blues and Hunchback Syndrome. But now I'm landing them cleanly at about 90 percent.

KJD
12-30-2002, 11:12 AM
I started skating at 36 and landed my first clean axels late last spring, when I was 38. They are up to 80% consistant I"d say right now so definitely go for it. It took me a good solid year to go beyond cheated to clean.

melanieuk
12-30-2002, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Designdiva
getting over Fear of Forward edge, the Two-foot Blues and Hunchback Syndrome.

At the moment I am going throught the Fear stage.
When I do jump, I have the Two-foot Blues, plus or minus the Hunchback Syndrome!! :?? :roll:

Mrs Redboots
12-30-2002, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Clarice
I need a little inspiration, so I'm wondering how old some of you adult-start skaters were when you first landed this jump? The older, the better! I started skating when I was 37, and am 44 now - is this still a realistic goal? I'm no jumper, but various friends of mine who are well into their 50s have superb axels. I think you are only too old if you think you're too old, skating is that sort of sport - when you start worrying more about broken hips, etc, after falls, then maybe you should stop trying to learn new jumps. Until then, go for it - I hope to hear you have landed your double Salchow this year, too.

dani
12-30-2002, 01:18 PM
36!!

Hey wait, I don't turn 36 until next month! ;-) I seriously am going to try for an axel if I can get over the fear. That held me back a couple of months on the flip. I am hoping that the harness will help. I have huge jumps (well I think they are huge, occasionally I see a "real" skater and understand that mine are still puny!

For now, I am probably going to wait until AN so that I can concentrate on my current program.

Hugs and good luck to all!!
Danielle

Mel On Ice
12-30-2002, 03:33 PM
I started skating at 28, am 33 now, and have started practicing axels off the floor and can get 1-1/4 around. Haven't dared try this on ice yet, although coach Mandy has predicted I will start landing flip, loops and lutzes consistently and she will harness me up by summer. Here's hoping I get it before I'm 40!

skaternum
12-30-2002, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Clarice
I'd actually begun it a couple of years ago, but had to abandon the quest for awhile due to an ankle injury and then other goals took priority.
This seems to be pretty common with real adult skaters. For things like axels and doubles, we constantly have to sort of "start over" with lots of things because that darned life we have keeps getting in the way: injuries, jobs, family, what have you. It can be very frustrating. I'm about to start working on the axel for the third time. First time, knee problems. Second time, back problems. What will it be this time??? :frus:

But don't lose faith. Keep at it and you WILL land that pesky axel. I've seen several REAL adult skaters -- people who didn't start until they were 25+ -- master the axel and a double or two. It can be done!

1lutz2klutz
12-30-2002, 06:12 PM
I'm hoping there's still a possibility of getting an axel. I'm 45, started skating at 38 and unfortunately am not the least bit blessed with any talent, so it seems to take me forever to get anything down consistently! I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but my coach says it's my leg crossing I should be thinking about........

irene2020
12-31-2002, 04:48 AM
Wow, you guys are all inspirations to me. I have always wanted to skate - i mean do some tricks instead of just walking on ice. But I think I am too old and not much point. It seems that it is not too late :) I don't want to do much, if I can do a beautiful layback, a double toe loop, a beautiful spiral, I will be soo happy. I think I shoud start stretching.

Mrs Redboots
12-31-2002, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by irene2020
I think I shoud start stretching. Start stretching, and see if your purse will stretch to a few lessons, or group classes. It's simply never too late to start, or re-start, skating, but better learn how to do it right first off than get it wrong and have to unlearn bad habits, or, worse, risk injury.

Figureskates
12-31-2002, 11:35 AM
Being almost 57...uh, never!!

LoopLoop
12-31-2002, 02:41 PM
I started skating when I was 30, and landed my first axel shortly after turning 35!

dorvalskater1
01-01-2003, 07:31 PM
I started at 19 and landed axel at 21 then later that year started landing double toe.
Good luck to all

Stormy
01-03-2003, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Designdiva
Fear of Forward edge, the Two-foot Blues and Hunchback Syndrome.

I am plagued by Hunchback Syndrome, almost ALWAYS resulting in the 2 foot blues! :cry: I am still waiting to land the silly jump, and I have been doing it seriously for a year and a half.

Michigansk8er
01-06-2003, 11:49 AM
Boy, I'd like to see the adults in their 50's with the lovely axels. Did they learn them as kids? There sure weren't any axels in my age group at AN last year, and that includes the gold level skaters. I would love to learn one, and if I were in my 30's, or even early 40's I'd go for it...........but now I'm at the age where I'd like to preserve my body. So much for my dreams of passing that gold test. :( An axel and gold moves........not gonna happen.

Good luck to everyone trying. :) If you want it, go for it!!!!!