View Full Version : Great or Grotty - Lessons and Practices 1-7 June 2002

Mrs Redboots
06-02-2002, 10:39 AM
I did another of those salchows today, to show Robert what I had meant. Which started him off, and he twisted his knee trying to spin! Men..... :/

[b:195cdfc5ff]Great:[/b:195cdfc5ff] At least we sorted out one or two things that were going wrong; the major problem with our Variation Rhythm Blues was easily sorted out, thanks be! This was the inside chasse, which I had been having awful trouble with, only to find that we had been pointing it in the wrong direction! Well, duh! :rolleyes As soon as we pointed it in the right direction, it was fine!

After the thread on Russian stroking on the Usenet Group, I played with doing it backwards, and actually managed it, rather slowly and carefully, but then, all my backwards skating is like that.

[b:195cdfc5ff]Grotty:[/b:195cdfc5ff] The same, alas, cannot be said for the slide chasse/wide-step in both the variation and our Golden Skaters' Waltz, which went totally pear-shaped and kept on nearly ending with me on the ice. Part of the problem was that we were both sticking our bottoms out in the slide chasse, and of course, that never helped anybody. Then Robert was coming round [i:195cdfc5ff]far[/i:195cdfc5ff] too steeply on the inside swing roll, and nearly knocking me off my feet. But I think we discovered what was wrong at the end of the practice - he wasn't bringing his free leg back after the slide chasse, but was lurching forwards, whereas I was bringing mine back, and going sideways. And our coach was busy with other lessons, so this particular issue is likely to remain unresolved until at least Thursday, and probably next Sunday. Oh well.....

Said coach was rude about our Swing Dance, too. Probably deservedly.

Moto Guzzi
06-02-2002, 05:05 PM
[b:6f84553d54]Great[/b:6f84553d54] - Nobody was on the ice this morning, and my coach and I had an entire rink to ourselves. We started out doing moves and then worked on edge quality. This led to trying figures again--something neither of us has done for a long time and not on freestyle blades. The forward outside and inside figure 8's went well, but the back 8's weren't as good. We had a lot of fun working on them, and my coach admitted that she misses teaching them.

[b:6f84553d54]Grotty[/b:6f84553d54] - I woke up with a sinus headache that will not go away. During my lesson I managed one sitspin that was actually pretty good, considering how unwell I felt. I didn't do any jumps beyond a waltz jump because of my headache.

Left back 3-turns were just nasty. Still too much toepick scratching. Ugh!

Anita18
06-03-2002, 08:32 PM
[b:d1c6bedce1]Grotty[/b:d1c6bedce1]:
[list:d1c6bedce1][*:d1c6bedce1]My forward upright spin always travels!!! ARGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGH!!!!!!! (I'm talking serious travelling..like 10 feet for less than 10 revolutions.. :frus: :frus: :frus: ) I think I do my entrance screwy which is why it starts to travel almost right after the 3-turn - is your free leg supposed to be directly behind you or a little bit to the side when you step into the spin? (I might be holding it too far back and then I can't bring it all the way to the front when I do the 3-turn..) Somebody help me! I'm desperate! :frus:

[*:d1c6bedce1]Backspin...totally lost it today! Waaah..I felt like I was getting it back the last couple of sessions... :frus:

[*:d1c6bedce1]Loop...landed a couple, but I ended up sprawled all over the ice on most of them...grrrrr...:frus: :frus:

[*:d1c6bedce1]Salchow. Well, that's normal.. :roll: [/list:u:d1c6bedce1]

[b:d1c6bedce1]Great[/b:d1c6bedce1]:
[list:d1c6bedce1][*:d1c6bedce1]My sit spin is finally getting there! It's funny; the entrance that screws up my scratch spin somehow works for the sit. The circles are still pretty big - about dinner plate size - but at least they're on top of each other. :| My friend said that they didn't look that bad; the thigh is parallel to the ice (yay!) and my free leg is still a little wrapped (ew), but it's coming along nicely. (yay!)

[*:d1c6bedce1]Eh, my butt spin is getting better. :mrgreen: (This is where I lean inside the circle too much when stepping into a spin and I slip off the edge onto my butt, where I spin for a couple revs. I'm the best butt spinner at my rink! :mrgreen: )

[*:d1c6bedce1]Crossovers were pretty good today, even though I almost tripped into the wall before I fully warmed up to them. I know..I'm grasping for something positive here...[/list:u:d1c6bedce1]

Anita

Mrs Redboots
06-05-2002, 08:32 AM
I have skated once today, and am going to skate again this evening up at Alexandra Palace (need a nap in between, though!).

[b:e17e8b0082]Great:[/b:e17e8b0082] My sister and her two young children were with me, and it was fun to skate in front of them. My lesson was as usual, only I walked through the Swing Dance with my coach, which is [i:e17e8b0082]so[/i:e17e8b0082] much nicer than doing it with my husband! Ah well.....

Also had it confirmed that I am right and he (husband, not coach) is wrong about the wide-step in the Golden Skaters' Waltz!

My sister and 5-year-old Henry both came on the ice once the skate hire had opened, and my sister had a wonderful time. Henry was a bit iffy at first, but after coaxing from a coach and me, suddenly took off! I was skating backwards in front of him, encouraging him, when he suddenly overtook me! But he was very comish-and-goish, and every so often would cling to the boards as though he could never bear to leave them. My sister, who hasn't skated for at least 23 years, even managed a couple of very wobbly back lemons! Swizzles, whatever.....

[b:e17e8b0082]Grotty:[/b:e17e8b0082] 3-year-old Clare decided skating was [i:e17e8b0082]not[/i:e17e8b0082] for her after I'd shelled out for ice time and skate hire for her. Oh well.

I ran through my artistic programme and although my coach said it was OK, I know just how much better it [i:e17e8b0082]could[/i:e17e8b0082] be, if only I could skate.....

Coach, for some reason, decided to focus on my closed chasses, which are a long-standing weakness. Oh dear, oh dear.....

flo
06-05-2002, 10:10 AM
Grotty: went to physical therapist, and doubles, eagles, and bauers are out for a while.

Great: I have some exercises to do, and can also keep working on the pairs tests. Had a pairs lesson last night and it was really a lot of fun. We went through the program, and the footwork sequence is much much better (amazing what a little practice can do!). Now it's time to put in the test application. After that session, I went to the other rink and saw a friend who is also taking the pairs test with the same coach. She had not yet started on the program, so I went through it with her a few times (our coach uses one of his short programs for his kid and adult tests). Then I worked on the program entrances into jumps and spins, and helped another skater with her flip. All in all a productive and fun night.

Annabel - don't give up on the three year old yet. Next week, or month is an entirely different world for them, and may include skating.

1lutz2klutz
06-05-2002, 12:15 PM
Great[b:9cf2d4074f][/b:9cf2d4074f][b:9cf2d4074f][/b:9cf2d4074f] Back on the ice for the first time in a month( due to a worsening back injury) and I had a great lesson. Skated my program cleanly, which I wasn't doing before the layoff, and even hit every jump with a running edge on the landing! I thought coach would need to have an oxygen tank ready for me, but I wasn't even puffing too badly. Gee, maybe I should take my own professional advice sometimes (I'm a physical therapist).......

quarkiki2
06-05-2002, 02:42 PM
1st Lesson as an Adult Alpha:

Well, there were 8-10 people in my pre-Alpha group last session and we started with four in my combine pre-Alpha and Alpha class. Me and three guys -- none from my previous class. Two guys were passed to Beta for next week because they underestimated themselves when signing up for lessons, leaving me with a 50ish gentleman who had never been on skates before. He was trying everything very bravely, but I now understand why our instructors were all so excited last session when 75% of our class could make passable attempts at all of the pre-Alpha requirements on the first night. I also felt badly for him because the other two guys and myself were working on cross-overs within 3 minutes of the lesson starting and he was still trying to tiptoe across the ice. I told him that I was glad to have some company in the class.

Becuase there were essentially three levels of skates in the same lesson, and I was the "middle" child, I didn't get a whole lot of attention. I don't expect that to continue, though, as next week it will be one gentleman and myself. That is if we didn't intimidate the poor fellow too much! So, it appears that I will be getting a semi-private lesson this session. OK by me!

Great:
*Forward stroking getting more powerful, though since I've been between sessions I've been to more public sessions and I've forgotten that it only takes about four strokes before I reach the other side of the rink in group lessons, LOL! Good thing I've learned my snowplow stop!
*Worked a bit on one-foot glides with my free foot out front, instructor suggested I over-compensate my natural tendency to turn my foot out by turning it in instead. This is to help me with what seems to be one of my biggest hurdles with my cross-overs -- I really want to turn my foot out as it crosses and that's a pretty good way to trip myself. Anyway, the glides are much improved, even on my challenged right foot!
*Instructor showed the Beta guys how to start backward stroking, I tried, too, because I didn't really want to spend an entire session doing one-foot glides. Turns out that this was pretty simple for me, I think the next time I practice I'll actually try lifting the other foot when I change my weight.

Grotty:
*Darn it, it just feels like I'm trying to wrap my leg all the way around when I do cross-overs. My brain is resisting this and keeps telling my legs Not to get all the way over, pinky toe to pinky toe. I get the weight change, especially on my right-over-left, but I just can't convince my legs to do what they're supposed to. Oh! I just had a flash!!! Perhaps my hips are open, maybe I need to get them facing more towards the center of the circle -- any thoughts?

But I will get it, I promise!!!! I'm hoping that in the next few weeks it will all make sense and I'll be A-OK. I'm also hoping that I can move on to more Beta skills, especially if there's only two of us in the group. We're at different levels already, whether it's pre-Alpha and Alpha or pre-Alpha and Beta.

TashaKat
06-05-2002, 04:22 PM
It was my first day back after 2.5 weeks, knee still not mended but not as bad as it was!

[b:a1f5c560d9][color=red:a1f5c560d9]WARNING - MINOR RANT!!![/color:a1f5c560d9][/b:a1f5c560d9]

[b:a1f5c560d9]UGLY[/b:a1f5c560d9] - while doing my field moves in my lesson one of the other skaters and I came to the same piece of ice at the same time, we both aborted and went round again ..... and timed it nicely so that we arrived at the same point again! NOW 99.9% of people would grin at each other and go off in different directions .... I went off to wait for her to do her jump before I started my moves when my coach shouted to me "come up to the other end of the rink, it's ONE thing having a pupil give you dirty looks it's another thing entirely when their coach is giving you dirty looks" .... oh well! I went up to the other end of the rink and worked through my moves. On a few minutes, we were stood by the music box talking to another coach and their pupil and the coach who (apparently) gave me the dirty look was putting the music on for his pupil. As we were stood there he looked directly at me and said to her "don't stop, if anyone gets in your way plough straight through them, some people ....." I can't remember exactly the rest of what he said but he was looking straight at me when he said it ..... nice!

[b:a1f5c560d9][color=blue:a1f5c560d9]END OF RANT[/color:a1f5c560d9][/b:a1f5c560d9]..... phew, it's good to get it off my chest!

[b:a1f5c560d9]GOOD[/b:a1f5c560d9] - I can still skate! I didn't feel like a beginner again ;) Things weren't TOO bad, my weight was a bit to the front of the skate but nothing terrible (well, in comparison with my usual standard!). Did a couple of decent backspins :D Dance was ok.

[b:a1f5c560d9]BAD[/b:a1f5c560d9] - Only managed 1 camel out of the bunch that I tried :( Back 3's have contracted (the circle is tiny) and I managed to fall over on the CCW ones!!

L x

[i:a1f5c560d9]edited because I don't know why I care ('Ugly') ........[/i:a1f5c560d9]

Yazmeen
06-06-2002, 09:20 AM
Grotty: Nothing really, which is good to say.
I finally am beginning to feel like myself again, on and off the ice. I don't seem to need the saline nasal lavages anymore (when they started to hurt and give me headaches I figured that maybe I had actually cleared out most of the clearable gunk). The nasal and lung steroids seem to be working well, and miracle of miracles, I finally have my sense of smell back most of the time, and I'm a lot less lightheaded and wifty. Only two more weeks of antibiotics to go!!

Great: I finally felt like "me" at my lesson this week. We went over all of Adult Pre-Bronze MITF and worked on finesse: Getting the pushes in the crossovers "equal", getting the three turns to turn in the center, making the edges bigger and curvier. So far so good. Skating into pivot, waltz out of crossovers and half flip seemed to be moving along just fine.

Interestingly enough, I have developed strong forward outside three turns--my old nemesis finally seems to agree with me, and I'm quite comfortable with them. The RI3 is pretty good, and as to the left, well, we're learning to do it right, and learning it all over again. I literally asked her to bring an icemarker next week, draw the curve and put a big "X" where she wants me to turn. I'm going to do these doggone things well if it kills me, but according to coach, they are much better.

Overall, quite great, very little grotty!!

Beth :D 8) :P

flo
06-06-2002, 09:40 AM
Lynne,
Perhaps you can set an example for the kid, since her coach isn't. Let her know you you didn't intend to get in eachother's way, your flight plans just crossed, or if she has a sense of humor, ask her if she wants to skate pairs. She'll probably tell you the same thing. As for the coach, showing him that you and the kid are fine about things would show him who's the adult (obviously not him).

Mrs Redboots
06-06-2002, 10:56 AM
[b:b1559b1a41]Great:[/b:b1559b1a41] Went up to Alexandra Palace last night, as always on the first Wednesday of each month, to find that the featured dance was the Paso Doble. Now, I'm no more able to dance the Paso Doble than I am to fly to the moon, but I still don't feel it was a wasted lesson, since I did learn the steps, and actually managed to walk through a couple of patterns of it. Horrendously slowly, of course, but I managed. And the coach there actually gave me a hint that has helped more with doing closed chasses/back cross-behinds/back cross-rolls than almost anything; she told me to make absolutely sure my weight was totally over my skating foot, so that one can actually move one's free leg! She [i:b1559b1a41]also[/i:b1559b1a41] helped me enormously with my change-edge Mohawk - not that I can do the one in the Paso, not at that speed, but it's been something I've been working on for a while - by explaining that I was bringing my right shoulder back on the change of edge, but if I kept it forward, I'd be better placed to rotate the Mohawk!

Isn't it weird how other people's coaches can sometimes give you tips that your own coach doesn't?

When it came to the social dancing, I thoroughly enjoyed myself, danced all the dances I can do, and felt I was skating fast, on edge, and well. Probably didn't look that way, of course!

[b:b1559b1a41]Grotty:[/b:b1559b1a41] Not a great deal - except that today I am extraordinarily stiff, I don't know why (could hauling a hefty 5-year-old around yesterday have anything to do with it?) so am not going to Slough this evening. Robert is going, to have his lesson with his "other woman", so I have the flat - AND the remote control - to myself!

Can't skate now until Sunday, unless I make the effort and get up on Saturday morning, but that is the only day I get to sleep in. I have to [i:b1559b1a41]work[/i:b1559b1a41] tomorrow, which I don't normally on a Friday, and as it's half-term, there's no teatime session I can go to instead. Oh well.

garyc254
06-06-2002, 12:29 PM
Skated Monday night after a two week hiatus for rink repairs. I was worried about those forst few strokes after being on my "land legs" for that long.

Good:
I stayed vertical!!! Always an accomplishment.
My edges felt really good. I think the freshly sharpened feel is finally wearing off my blades.

Bad:
I couldn't do a right progressive to save the world. :frus: My crossovers were fine. It was truly the first real frustration I've had in skating. There are lots of things I can't do or do well, but this was really frustrating me. My coach worked on them with me for about 10 minutes and I still couldn't get it.

Picked up a 125 lb hunk of steel at work yesterday and felt my lower back POP!!! !@#$% I've been using an ice pack since, but it's still very painful and stiff. I'm hoping it clears up before my Saturday lesson so I can work on those !@#$% progressives again. :lol:

Going to the orthpedic doctor next Wednesday for a rotator cuff/shoulder pain. An old injury that has been irritated by holding my arms out while skating.

I'm falling apart one piece at a time!!!! :lol:

TashaKat
06-06-2002, 02:28 PM
[quote:568487ff01="flo"]Lynne,
Perhaps you can set an example for the kid, since her coach isn't. Let her know you you didn't intend to get in eachother's way, your flight plans just crossed, or if she has a sense of humor, ask her if she wants to skate pairs. She'll probably tell you the same thing. As for the coach, showing him that you and the kid are fine about things would show him who's the adult (obviously not him).[/quote:568487ff01] Thankyou for your reply, Flo. Normally that would be EXACTLY what would happen, the majority of skaters are very polite to each other and get on very well. Unfortunately this is the child that thinks that ******* adults shouldn't be allowed on her ******* ice, that they're a ******* waste of space and she doesn't know why they're wasting their time out there ..... this is usually followed by a tirade about specific adults!!

Oh well, I feel better now I've got it off my chest ...... I still can't understand WHY, if he doesn't like me then please feel free to ignore me ....

L x

Anita18
06-06-2002, 10:14 PM
[b:9f53dec483]Grotty[/b:9f53dec483]:

[list:9f53dec483][*:9f53dec483]Flips. :cry: They were great yesterday! :cry: I ended up two-footing, then falling on most of them, which sometimes put the heel of my boot into the back of my left ankle. Note to self: it is better to fall with your feet off the ice than on it.

[*:9f53dec483]Backspin. I am officially giving up on this until I finally get my skates sharpened. I think it's been about 3-4 months now..arghghggh...

[*:9f53dec483]Camel. Well, I only attempted it twice....a classmate of mine got in one revolution of a camel spin that wasn't so shabby! Why can't I learn that quickly?! :cry: Heck, I'm still scared to lower my torso for a spiral, LOL..[/list:u:9f53dec483]

[b:9f53dec483]Great[/b:9f53dec483]:

[list:9f53dec483][*:9f53dec483]My scratch spins are getting better! Yay! Well, still traveling but at least they don't feel so uncomfortable!

[*:9f53dec483]Sit spin! Getting my weight over my spinning foot for the scratch spin has also worked wonders for my sit spin too! Yay!

[*:9f53dec483]Loops! (And to think I absolutely loathed them yesterday, LOL) I had an epiphany with loops today - instead of forcing the revolution, "ride" with the deepening BO edge, which will rotate you by itself. This made it so much easier! Wah! I still have some problems checking it though..oh well, one thing at a time!

[*:9f53dec483]Practicing with a (much) more advanced skater. When I got to the rink today, there was a young boy I didn't recognize, and he was attempting triple loops! Wah! 8O He had a delayed rotation, which was so cool to see but it hindered his loop cause he was stuck in a slightly-overrotated-double and severely-underrotated-triple rut. I'm sure that if he pulled in faster, he would get that triple down pat! It was amazing - he had great footwork, pretty good spins, but what was most astonishing was that he had this uncanny ability to rotate in the air - just up and around, no forcing at all. (Some skaters at my rink who can do doubles do them so forcefully that I wonder if they're triples, LOL..) [/list:u:9f53dec483]
Anita

jazzpants
06-07-2002, 12:57 AM
[b:02d2316a0d]Great:[/b:02d2316a0d][list:02d2316a0d]
[*:02d2316a0d]Waltz jump. I managed to finally get my leg straight, according to Mistress Coach. Too bad I could get my arm position right or else this would have been a really good waltz jump. :P[*:02d2316a0d]Salchow was better as far as the landing is concerned, but my leg swing is still sucky!!![*:02d2316a0d]She wanted to see a nice spiral. The position was okay. She wanted to see the knees locked on the free leg though. It got better, though I ended up chickening out.[*:02d2316a0d]Mistress Coach had to chase me down to remind me how to do a proper forward crossovers. (This woman really get on your case if you're her student and doesn't do crossovers to perfection.)[/list:u:02d2316a0d][b:02d2316a0d]Grotty[/b:02d2316a0d][list:02d2316a0d][*:02d2316a0d]Backspins are still crappy. The only consolation is that I had a minor little bit of success when I tried to do a two foot spin to a backspin. If I managed to get up on my bottom pick and hold stiff, I am able to spin a little bit (about 1/4 rev) on the BO edge. (It's an accomplishment consider that I could even LIFT my right foot up in the FIRST PLACE!!!) :p The poor woman was starting to lose her patience with me. EEEEK!!! 8O[/list:u:02d2316a0d]But overall, feeling much better about my lesson today!

Cheers,
jazzpants

LoopLoop
06-07-2002, 11:36 AM
Last skate before going to Lake Placid on Sunday!

[b:4c9acaca0e]Great[/b:4c9acaca0e]
* Some axels were fully rotated and on one foot (in the fishing-pole harness though). I *finally* was pulling in quick enough and getting my feet crossed.
* Learned power circles for intermediate MIF and I was better at them than I expected to be.
* Putting in application for July 6 juvenile MIF test.

[b:4c9acaca0e]Grotty[/b:4c9acaca0e]
Nothing really today!

Mrs Redboots
06-07-2002, 12:35 PM
[quote:ea00c7991e="TashaKat"]I still can't understand WHY, if he doesn't like me then please feel free to ignore me ....

L x[/quote:ea00c7991e]I wonder if that is the same coach who was being absolutely horrible to his skater just before she competed last Bracknell, or was it the one before - yelling at her that she was skating really badly and generally treating her as though she were a piece of dirt on his shoe. My husband was furious on the skater's behalf (although she didn't seem to mind), and said that he would not put up with such a coach for five minutes - and considering he is the mildest-mannered of men, that is serious anger on his part. Even now, he occasionally refers to the episode.

kar5162
06-07-2002, 12:42 PM
Great - Today we started working on a program for the Pre-Juvenile free test. The opening is fun and starts out pretty much going straight into the camel-sit, which was fantastic today. (I love when the spin just spins perfectly. :))

Grotty - Took a really hard fall doing the footwork sequence...RBI rocker straight over my toe pick and landed pretty much flat on my left side - my elbow and hip have matching (huge) bruises. Why does my coach think the quick back rocker-choctaws (think one of the Novice moves end patterns) belongs in a Pre-Juvenile free test?

Kim

jasmine
06-07-2002, 01:07 PM
[quote:d7f686d496="Mrs Redboots"][quote:d7f686d496="TashaKat"]I still can't understand WHY, if he doesn't like me then please feel free to ignore me ....

L x[/quote:d7f686d496]I wonder if that is the same coach who was being absolutely horrible to his skater just before she competed last Bracknell, or was it the one before - yelling at her that she was skating really badly and generally treating her as though she were a piece of dirt on his shoe. My husband was furious on the skater's behalf (although she didn't seem to mind), and said that he would not put up with such a coach for five minutes - and considering he is the mildest-mannered of men, that is serious anger on his part. Even now, he occasionally refers to the episode.[/quote:d7f686d496]

Should we really be talking about people in public like this? There are different views to every personality and episode. I happen to know ALL the personalities involved in the original incident described, and I could tell you a few other background things which would be VERY revealing, but the internet is not the place to do it.

TashaKat
06-07-2002, 01:53 PM
Actually the coach involved doesn't behave badly towards their pupils, I have never heard them be disrespectful or rude to them at all. Prior to this problem occurring I had the greatest respect for them, I wouldn't have picked up on it anyway if it hadn't have been pointed out to me by someone else. I know that I have been misrepresented by some quarters but I guess that at the end of the day it's not something that should really concern me, people will believe and perceive what they WANT to believe and perceive.

Anyway ....... went in again today, still need to get my strength back! I'm not as awful as I thought that I'd be but 3 weeks off has taken it's toll :( Did mostly dance today .... if only I could remember all the corrections that I'm given at the same time instead of one at a time! Am bored with the European and 22 step but have to keep doing them because I'm working towards my test :( I still don't like the 22 step, I'm just not comfortable with it at all, I don't mind the European quite so much but even that still needs a fair amount of work.

Tried my step sequence .... actually remembered it which was a plus :) if only I could get it half as nice as my coaches kid skaters! Ventured a couple of jumps today and the knee held out .... even tried a few axels :D ... I just wish I could find that magic ingredient that makes the damn thing happen! Backspin HAS improved which is the biggest shock of the decade, still needs LOTS of work but at least I can feel what I'm SUPPOSED to be doing now!

Nothing now until Wednesday ..... let the knee recover for the next bout ;)

L x

jazzpants
06-09-2002, 01:18 AM
Hi, y'all! :)

I got LOTS done!!! WHEW!!! I'M TIRED!!! :P

[b:e12834a5ff]Great:[/b:e12834a5ff][list:e12834a5ff][*:e12834a5ff]Waltz jump. Getting pretty good height and felt a couple of times that my leg was straighter, though I can't say that my leg is straight. Mistress Coach was right though. I did feel like I was getting a bit more height. Irony was that those jumps felt LIGHTER than my bad ones. :? [*:e12834a5ff]Salchow was same as last Thursday.[*:e12834a5ff]I managed to eeek out a couple of one footed landings on my loops. My skating buddy was impressed! Of course he wanted to see [*:e12834a5ff]FLIPS! I had ONE one foot landing, but it was near the wall. My skating buddy wanted me to pretend that the wall is on fire as a way to try to get me away from the "safety" of that wall. The irony of having that wall is, as my primary coach said, that I don't even touch the wall the whole time. He also thinks that if I was away from the wall and get more speed going into it that I would have been able to land AND glide.[*:e12834a5ff]Scratch spin and sit spin okay. Inconsistent when I was warming up and when I was tired, but I got a few good ones for both.[*:e12834a5ff]Alternating forward crossovers were pretty good.[*:e12834a5ff]Good news and bad news on the BI-FO choctaw for the power 3's to back crossovers: I did managed to get to a good BI-FO edge.[/list:u:e12834a5ff][b:e12834a5ff]Grotty[/b:e12834a5ff][list:e12834a5ff][*:e12834a5ff]Scratch and sit spins: Too bad I had to resort to my "bad" choctaw to get them. :([*:e12834a5ff]Backspins are still crappy, but I did have a couple more "lucky" shots where I was able to flip over on the toe pick to get on the BO edge... but the spin quicker disintegrate from then on... Still :frus: [*:e12834a5ff]Camel non-existent. :frus: [*:e12834a5ff]Toe loops felt weird, but I landed them.[*:e12834a5ff]Alternating BACK crossovers were crappy! I'm still hearing those evil, EVIL toe scratchies! :x[*:e12834a5ff]Now for the bad news about the BI-FO... I'm having trouble getting to the next FO3!!! I don't have enough control to do the 3 from the edge that I'm getting. The shoulder/hip position is just too weird to even try it! :cry: [/list:u:e12834a5ff]Cheers,
jazzpants

tidesong
07-05-2002, 08:48 AM
Hello I'm new here! Just found this board... so I shall just post the whole weeks stuff at one go.

Great:

I got the Axel! I did 9 right after another on wednesday. And I did 3 in a row with a tap in between :)

My double salchow is coming along... still trying to get the feel of the take off timing... its not consistent yet.

I tried my first double toe ever! On Thursday with my coach. Lucky I was wearing my knee guards. I splattered all over.

My layback is getting better but I'm still leaning to one side and losing speed after a while. I want the backbend position.

Grotty:

Now that I got my axel I know when I don't have it. Feels awful sometimes... when I land only a few axels...

My spins are too slow and still trying to get all my spins consistent... I can center a spin one time by luck and travel like crazy the next.

Why is my first double toe so much scarier than my first double salchow? I don't dare try it without my knee guards on...

Mrs Redboots
07-05-2002, 11:38 AM
[quote:109d9ba1da="tidesong"]Hello I'm new here! Just found this board... so I shall just post the whole weeks stuff at one go.

.[/quote:109d9ba1da]Hi, and you're very welcome. I know a couple of skaters from Singapore.....

You'll find that this sort of thread gets posted every week under a progressively sillier title - someone usually starts it up on Sundays, and it carries on throughout the week. I think the current one is called "Splendid or Spare Me".....