View Full Version : Question from a Beginner

Annes
12-27-2002, 04:01 PM
I used to take fs lessons when I was younger. However, since then I've been using my brother's old hockey skates. I'm just wondering what sort of things I can teach myself until I have the time to take lessons (ie simple spinning, figures, etc). It's too bad one does not absorb technique through watching--if you could, I'd be heading to Nationals hehehe.

MissIndigo
12-27-2002, 04:35 PM
The first thing you may want to do is get a well-fitting pair of figure skates if you intend to take up freestyle again.;) (heehee)

In the meantime, I would work on basic stroking and edges. This is always a good place to start. Do your best to maximize power in forward and backward stroking, get the feel for a proper knee bend, and learn to stay off your toepicks and point your toes. Even simple stroking looks fabulous when it's polished! Same goes for edges. Secure edges count for so much and yet is something overlooked way too often...good edging definitely gives you a leg up (no pun intended, lol) on proper jumping and spinning technique.

You may want to practice a two-foot spin if you're up to it. I am a ccw spinner, so I enter the spin from a deeply bent left knee, with my right leg trailing my left a bit, and then snap quickly into the spin by straightening my left knee and bringing the feet close together. After that, you can bring your arms in for more speed. This a good spinning exercise, giving you an idea how much momentum you can generate from a properly bent knee on a spin entry. Surprisingly, (or maybe not!), this has helped me with my camel spin entries. :)

I too came back to the sport after taking lessons when I was younger. I remembered more than I thought I would, but after I started taking private lessons, my coach and I started from square one again. Very, very beneficial, even though I didn't need to stay in the basic levels very long.

Have fun! Welcome back to this wonderful sport!

melanieuk
12-28-2002, 06:03 AM
Just practise stroking, or skating with long glides, if you can in those hockey boots!

I'd make getting a good fitting pair of figure skates a priority if you plan to keep skating and want to do jumps and spins. Hockey boots just do not do the job!

Have fun!

Annes
12-30-2002, 05:27 PM
Actually, I did get a nice pair of figure skates for Christmas...that's why I want to be able to skate nicely :) to live up to the skates. They're Donald Jackson brand, lol!
Thanks for all the advice,