View Full Version : Boot Break-in Support

eliao
12-26-2002, 12:53 PM
I got my new skates last Friday, a pair of Jackson Elite 2700's with new Coronation Ace blades. This is a switch from my comfortable, but old Reidell 320's with Club 2000 blades. The pro talked me into the Jacksons with its heat moldability and decent price being the main positives. I went to have them fitted and heat molded and everything went fine. The new boots seemed more comfortable than I ever remembered my Reidells being.

I knew that the break in period requires patience, but I never realized how traumatic it would really be! When I stepped on to the ice for the first time, it was as if the last 7 years of hard work, learning how to stroke, spin and jump were all gone in an instant! It was as if I did not know how to skate anymore, and I panicked-- I still am panicking all through the holidays over this. My boots felt less snug and loose than the Reidells, with my heels and toes feeling like they weren't in place. My hands got all raw trying to lace and relace the boots to be tighter. The only good thing was that my feet were not in any discomfort at all after an hour of straight-forward skating.

I am quite at a loss and envious after reading all the success stories I've found on this site for those of you who are loving your new boots the first time out. I am scared of my new boots! I know it was only my first time, and that I should be patient, but that feeling of uncertainty and utter hopelessness that I felt my first time out was so frustrating! Did I get the wrong pair of boots for me and waste all that money? I do plan to pester my pro over some of my concerns soon. Or is this normal and I'm just overreacting?:cry:

Thanks for allowing me to vent,

Emily

dani
12-26-2002, 01:25 PM
I upgraded from Reidell Gold Stars to SP Teri Super Deluxes. And yes, I know that it is a whole lot of boot, but I am a big girl and I jump hard!

Anyway, the first 4 days, my feet were killing me, particularly in the ankles. I have a bloody spot in both of my skates. On the 4th day (the third time I skated that day) I thought they were feeling pretty good and spent an hour jumping.

Now (after about 11 hours of skating) I am totally in love with my boots. Yes, they are completely and totally stiff which I am now feeling as support. I had no idea how much my 7 month old reidells were broken down! Yes, I do occasionally find something weird because of the skates and the loop is acting up, but I find promise in them.

I hope they work out for you! These SP Teri's fit my foot much better than my reidell's and I thought they fit great. They felt right that way from the beginning.

Good Luck Hugs!!
Danielle

JDC1
12-26-2002, 02:23 PM
Wow, my Jackson 2700's killed me from day one and never really got much better so good for you that there's no pain.!! After you lace your boots up TIGHT see if you can lift your heal with "ease" if you can your boots are probably too big. Next bend, can you get a nice deep knee bend (on the ice) without sticking your butt out? If so good, if not that's something you should be aware of and ask your coach to remind you not to stick your butt out too much when you're skating, it's hard to describe but I definitely "sat back" in my Jackson's because they were too hard for me to get the proper knee bend. However, many people love Jacksons so you may grow to love them too. Your feet should be snug in your boots, my Jackson's were simply the total wrong boot for me and my feet moved, sometimes when doing a spiral I would slide forward in my boot!!!:-( So, anyway, give it some time but not too much in case you need to take them back. I found once I changed boots that my spinning improved like 75% so being in the wrong boot can be a big deal. It's rare not to have some break in period but I waited an entire year in my Jackson's before I gave up.

love2sk8
12-26-2002, 02:57 PM
I hope they'll be good for you within a couple more sessions...It's probably just the transition time tho...good luck!!!! (let us know how you're doing with them!)

eliao
12-26-2002, 03:20 PM
Thanks for everyone's encouragements so far. That unsettling feeling of not being able to skate anymore is still haunting me, but hopefully, it's just a part of the transition period.

JCD1: I totally get what you're saying in that you felt you had to sit back really far in order to bend your knees at all in your Jackson 2700's. The moment I first stepped out on the ice, I immediately caught a toe and had to adjust my balance so my weight was MUCH further back than I was used to. My heels felt more pushed up, as if I were skating in high-heeled shoes. I can barely bend my knees at all without going up on my toes. I can't even bend my knees enough to do back crossovers. I can't believe that you managed to stay sane and last a whole year after seeing little improvement. Which boots do you skate in now?

Thanks again for everyone's responses! Please keep them coming!

Emily

nutty-ducky
12-26-2002, 03:46 PM
i have got new risport diamant boots, and they feel really high in the heal aswell! 8O also i feel like my toes are pressing against the top of the boots, so i am thinking about changing them, as i am uncertain about them. i have been told by my coach that when i start using my new boots, i will not be able to bend my knee cos they will be sooooo stiff! 8O :D

DRENDAVN
12-26-2002, 08:29 PM
<<My heels felt more pushed up, as if I were skating in high-heeled shoes. I can barely bend my knees at all without going up on my toes. I can't even bend my knees enough to do back crossovers.>>

I went from Riedell 320s to GAMs and Ultimas. What you said above is EXACTLY right. Look at the heel height of the Riedells compared to the Jacksons - it's a BIG difference. All the lower model Riedells have a very low heel. I'll bet you're on a much shorter blade than before now, as well. I'll also bet your new boots are lower cut also, mine were MUCH lower. I felt as though the boot was trying to spit my foot out!

I think we adapt to equipment by developing muscles (and thus balance) in thighs, legs, ankles and feet specific to the angularity it imparts and a TINY change throws everything off. You've just experienced a big change!

My equipment started to feel great in a very short time and like many others I think the better stuff allowed me to progress faster. Having said all that the gear is WAY beyond what I can do with it, particularly the blades. I definately don't regret the upgrade though.

Dave D.

JDC1
12-27-2002, 10:07 AM
I bought Graf boots and they're alot more expensive than Jackson's. I was also developing some problems, I had a lot of bruising and swelling around my ankle because I need to tighten the boots really TIGHT to keep my heels down and my feet would go numb. I've also developed a knee problem in my left knee cap, not sure if the boots contributed to this or not. Skating with your butt sticking out the way mine was is not correct and not attractive and my butt does not stick out now. Everything I do is better now because these boots fit - they're not perfect - but they're alot better than my Jacksons. HOwever, you just may need to invest in some gel pads or heel pads and your boots might be okay, I know one skater who is VERY advanced, working on her axel, and she loves her Jackson's because she loves hard boots and another skater I skate with loves her Jackson's too. I have very bony feet and ankles so I'd rather have the softer boot that breaks down faster than the hard boot that I could never break in. I put up with WAY too much pain but a little discomfort and adjustment is normal with new boots.

Andie
12-28-2002, 11:45 PM
I got a pair of Riedell 320's a few months ago and never had discomfort with them, and they fit me pretty decent I guess, but might be a hair too big. I'm not sure. When I got them, nobody even fit me! They just had me try on a 7 (which was too small) and an 8, the size I ended up getting. My street shoe size is 8 1/2 and my dress shoe is 8 even, and if skates are supposed to be at least a half size smaller than your street shoe.....how are mine technically right? :??

Elsy2
12-29-2002, 08:47 AM
Many moons ago, my daughter switched from Riedell to SP-teri, and could barely skate the first time out. The adjustment to a higher heel and shorter blades did take awhile. She also was adjusting to a shorter blade.

I had about a two week adjustment to changing blades last time, the first time out I could barely cross over and entering a spin was really a challenge. The two week period was probably about 10 skating hours. In the beginning, I was freaking over every element!

I would try to get out on the ice as much as possible, and you should feel progress each time. See how you feel after about 5 skating hours.

Andie...it is possible your skates are a little big and I wonder why they didn't try a 7 1/2 on you. But if they feel good and your heels are snug, they are probably OK. My SP-teri's are a loose fit in the toebox as I needed 1/2 size bigger than what my foot measured to be comfortable. Fit is a personal choice....some skaters like a very snug fit, and some a looser fit. I thought for sure my skates were too big to start, but they have been fine as they eventually molded nicely to my feet and my heels remain snug.

Yazmeen
12-29-2002, 09:45 AM
eliao: I'm sending a big hug: the first session on my new Klingbeil's and Coronation Aces was a study in hilarity. I could barely stroke, I kept tilting forward and catching the toepick--it took about two to three weeks before I was skating anything resembling normally.

The boots are still somewhat stiff, but I love them know. All of my old skills are improved and I'm finally starting to get my one foot spin, which was a dead loss on my old boots and blades. Chin up--give it time. You'll be skating better than ever, SOON.

((((((((((((HUG)))))))))))))

Beth

DRENDAVN
12-29-2002, 11:30 AM
<<and they fit me pretty decent I guess, but might be a hair too big. I'm not sure. When I got them, nobody even fit me! They just had me try on a 7 (which was too small) and an 8, the size I ended up getting. My street shoe size is 8 1/2 and my dress shoe is 8 even, and if skates are supposed to be at least a half size smaller than your street shoe.....how are mine technically right?>>

Good question! Many people have heard this speil from me already. I'm so glad I got hooked up with my skateguy - he was recommended by my LTS instructors my first week on the ice. He works by appointment for fittings and spends like 1.5 hours on it. You NEVER walk out of his shop the same day with skates even if he has them in stock since he Sno-Seals the soles over 2 or 3 days before mounting the blades then rechecks the fit and gives you a briefing on break-in and lacing when you pick them up. No extra charge.

He has a trick with the new boots or boots of the proper size. He puts one on you and says, "how's that feel..." to which you inevitibly say "it's TOO tight!". He then takes it back off, removes the insole, puts it back on you and says "now THATS what it will feel like once it's properly broken in". I've learned from him that there is a great deal than can be done sucessfully to modify the fit of a boot that is too small but there is not much that can be done to change the fit if too big. He, in fact, has a shoe stretcher and sizes you to your SMALLER foot then stretches the small boot so you get a semi-custom fit with stock sizes.

Dave D.

dbny
12-29-2002, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by eliao
My hands got all raw trying to lace and relace the boots to be tighter. Emily

When you take them off and after they have some time to air out, lace them as tightly as you can to draw the edges together, tie them tightly and leave them that way until you skate again. They should then be easier to lace. I did this about three times with my new Klingbeils and it really did help.

eliao
01-02-2003, 02:35 PM
Thanks again for everyone's responses and words of encouragement. I went skating for the second time in my new Jacksons, and like most of you said, I am getting used to them and I'm feeling much more hopeful again :D !

I actually put on my old Reidells at first, thinking that it would make me feel better to do a few spins and jumps to get it out of my system. When I skated in the Reidells again, I fully realized that my old skates no longer supported me-- the ankles were deeply creased and breaking down, and the blades were no longer mounted properly and and slipped to the outside, causing me to tilt to my inside edges. No wonder my spins were becoming off-center!

I then put my old Reidells away and laced on my new skates, this time leaving the 2 top hooks unlaced. I had left only 1 hook unlaced last time, because it felt too loose. It was still an adjustment, but I was able to do back crossovers more comfortably and some 3-turns and mohawks without tripping up on my toepicks. I even tried a few spins and I decided that I really like my Coronation Aces, coming from Club 2000's. The only thing is that I'm afraid that my skates are a half size too big for me. There's way too much room in the toe area-- my toes can't even touch the front of my skates. I still have a ways to go, but I am feeling more hopeful and optimistic about my new skates. :o

Thanks again for all the responses!

Emily