View Full Version : Question for spinners

icenut84
12-24-2002, 01:12 PM
I have a question for anyone who spins, 1 foot, sit spin, camel, whatever. At this level, obviously you've mastered spinning. What I wondered was, how good is your 2 foot spin? (Do you still practice it at all?) What is the maximum number of revs you can get on it? Because I'm not a natural spinner, but am practicing 2 foot spins, 1 foot spins (upright), and entrances into 1 foot (2 foot into 1 foot, from standstill, from FO curve, from back crossovers). My 2 foot spin has definitely improved, and I think I'm getting about 6 revs on it now, something like that. Is that good? How many are possible (I know a great deal more are possible on a 1 foot spin, as there's less friction on the ice and you get get a more powerful entry etc)? What's your maximum rev count on 2 feet (or what was it when you stopped practicing it?) I'm just curious :)

Skatingsarah
12-24-2002, 04:22 PM
Hey well I'm sure I cant help you out to to much on thie topic based on personal experience! I have tried them every once an a while, but not on a daily bases. (FOR SURE) But the trick to it is getting you foot that is infront placed properly. Which is straight in front, (like a "T") that way it doesnt disturb the actual flow or speed of the flow. There is nothing worse than a super fast spin for 2 rotations and then moves to the very opposite of being deadly slow. As for the upper body just think of it as the same thing as a normal back upright corkscrew. Infact it is actual the same thing dispite the change of foot placement!
I wish you luck!
-Sarah

MissIndigo
12-24-2002, 06:44 PM
My two-foot spin is still good, and well-centered. A nice fast one gets 10+ revs. The challenge now is to find ways to make it an interesting part of my choreography, whether I include it in a program or in a compulsory or spin event. As of late, I've found different arm positions fun, i.e. arms overhead, arms wrapped around body; sometimes I'll leave my arms extended and hold my head back so I'm looking at the ceiling while I spin, other times, I'll bring my arms in and do a really fast "headless" two-foot spin--what a rush! (Must be why I am taking to the layback spin fairly easily!) I'm also playing around with different entrances, such as gliding into the spin from an ina bauer.

This spin, though simple, never gets old when you find ways to reinvent it. I guess that goes for any move you do.:D

kayskate
12-25-2002, 05:21 AM
I know a lot of skaters (adults) who can do a 1-foot but had to work on their 2-foot to pass a test. Although I don't consciously "work on" it anymore, I occasionally do one though. There is a link to a pic of my 2-foot spin tracing on the other spin thread. I can do quite a few revs, well centered. I don't do it enough to count revs, though. I guess it is possible to get a lot, 10+.

Kay

IceAngel725
12-25-2002, 09:41 PM
i don't think i've ever really done a 2 foot spin! LOL... I was extremely "spin-challenged" and finally i learned a 1 foot spin. I bet if i never got my spinner i wouldn't even be able to do that!

melanieuk
12-26-2002, 11:31 AM
I don't recall every doing 2 foot spins, so I can't answer your question.

However, I have (in desperation) tried two foot spins to help me see if I can achieve the backspin that way, but no it doesn't work, the weight distribution is all wrong doing it this way. :roll:

If I remember rightly I would do about 6 revs on 2 feet before trying to lift one foot for the backspin. It doesn't spin as fast as a 1 foot, you're right. But you can increase the speed and revs by pulling in tighter and being tall.

jazzpants
12-26-2002, 01:34 PM
Oh, my 2-foot spins are crappy!!! *cringe* And I definitely can do one foot spins okay. I still get at least 3 revs though. My primary coach was biting his nails probably when I was taking the pre-Bronze FS test b/c I was slowing down almost to a halt after 2 revs and wasn't sure I would get to 3 revs. I can easily get 6-7 rev on one foot spins!

Mel, I also tried the 2 foot to one foot transition on the backspin with both of my FS coaches. I flubbed it MISERABLY!!! :oops:

dani
12-26-2002, 02:01 PM
I occasionally will do a couple of 2 foot spins to warm up. I am having a horrendous travelling problem and even my 2 foot spins travel.

Anyway, I tried a couple the other day during a public when I was showing another girl how to spin. Counting, I think I was doing 5 or 6. I routinely do 11 or 12 on my 1 foot scratch spins. I also do 5 or 6 revs on my backspin. (and 1 on my camel ;-)

I am not what I would call a natural spinner, but those are my results.

Hugs!!
Danielle

sk8er1964
12-29-2002, 05:04 PM
The only time I've tried a 2-foot spin since I returned to skating was before my pre-Bronze test. It was ok, not great - I found them challenging. What I'd like to try to master is John Currie's cross foot spin. Ever tried it anyone? I have and I grind to a halt instantly.

tidesong
01-02-2003, 08:12 PM
Yup I have tried the cross foot spin but didn't get far with it... my friends who can do an okay cross foot spin say I should point the toes towards each other... I try but can barely get a round out of it.

KatieC
01-02-2003, 11:23 PM
The most I ever counted on a two foot spin was fourteen revolutions - and boy was I excited that day! I stayed with two foot spins a long time because I felt so much safer doing them over a one foot spin. I get about 8 revs on my one foot spins. Practising different arm positions is fun and you can really get some phenominal speed that way.
Entrances to the spins are also funny. My CCW scratch has a nice LF3 turn entry, while the CW scratch starts from a right forward inside edge, step onto left forward inside edge, then switch the weight back to the right foot. It's actually an entrance for a back spin (until you switch the weight), which I usually avoid, as they make me nauseous.:cry:
I also practise spinning from a standstill, and recently tried doing a one-foot scratch from a lunge, which is fun.
I get maybe 3 revs on the CCW camel, and 6 on a CW sit spin. And although I'd love a cross foot spin, I've never had the nerve to plunk the foot down.