View Full Version : Loss of confidence

db
06-01-2002, 07:55 PM
This past week I have experienced a terrible loss of confidence on the ice. The only thing I can think of that could have precipitated it was all the terrorism warnings for NYC (my home.) I think my anxiety may have carried over onto the ice. Anyway, I had just achieved a new plateau involving a lot of small things, like being able to do nice open-hip one foot glides to change circles on the prelim back crossover pattern, getting a few revs on my brand new backspin, and back cross strokes with a few glances back as necessary. Now, suddenly, I am struggling to get these things back. One more thing, I did get my blades sharpened right before this hit, and got a deeper cut than I was used to. Could the new cut and sharp blades be partly the cause? I was really enjoying myself, and now I am just pushing myself to skate again.

anital
06-01-2002, 11:23 PM
db, I'm really sorry to hear about your loss of confidence, but I think you are doing the right thing by asking about it. Firstly, I think that the terrorism warnings certainly couldn't have helped the situation. But is your loss of confidence just on the ice or in general?
Also, was it the first time you had your blades sharpened that you felt less confidence? It always seems a bit wonky after having your blades sharpened. All I can suggest is not to force yourself to skate, it's even better to skate just for a short amount of time, do things that you know you can do well to get your confidence back. Maybe you can try meditating or yoga? Pushing yourself to skate might cause injury, so be careful!
Take it easy for a while and don't be too hard on yourself, elements come and go all the time...take care of yourself. :)

Figureskates
06-02-2002, 07:55 AM
DB...I have been there...many times!!

Sometimes I get it when I have the blades sharpened or moved because the feel is different.

Somtimes I get it when I don't feel quite right, i.e, a headache or something of that sort.

Also I found that when fellow adult skaters tell me of their lastest fall, that throws me a bit, especially after having dislocating my shoulder 3 years agao, and you breaking your wrist last year.

From what I learned from my fellow rinkmates, they all seem to get this feeling of "impending doom" as one calls it, from time to time...

Mrs Redboots
06-02-2002, 10:37 AM
I would say the problem is very largely due to the fresh blades. Often you can't do things you were doing perfectly easily just last week, for that very reason. Or it is quite possible you are about to go down with a cold, or other minor ailment. Or, as you say, stress.

The thing to do is not worry about it. I know it's infuriating, but you can't always control your body's reactions to things like that. All you can do is relax and work through it - carry on practising the skills, even if they aren't quite working, and then relax and work on things you know you can do!

wannask8
06-02-2002, 12:52 PM
db, I’m about 50 miles north of you, and those warnings still wig me out big time (the City was our previous home). One thing I find about skating, though, is that it can push other things out of my mind like nothing else can; I can really get my head back when I’m on the ice. I think AnitaL’s advice is great – focus on some things you are comfortable with to get back the sense of control that can help you break through whatever’s getting to you, whether it’s blade discomfort or something larger.

-- wannask8

db
06-02-2002, 06:16 PM
Thank you all for your kind encouragement and suggestions. I was on the ice today just to help with a show, and not really skate for myself, but I did feel comfy. I'm skating again tomorrow, and maybe having a lesson. I hadn't had my blades sharpened in a long time, so I'm sure that did have something to do with it, but my feeling is that this particular problem is mostly in my head. By pushing myself, I mean it is hard for me just to get on the ice. I would really rather relax in a hammock with a beer, but that will have to wait for vacation :roll: I'm going to take it easy tomorrow and mostly skate for the exercise and hope to get my confidence level back up.