View Full Version : heat moldable boots?

kayskate
12-24-2002, 06:20 AM
I have been wearing custom Harlicks for several years w/o any problems. I have no break in period at all w/ them and no pain of any sort. Overall, I am very pleased w/ them and have not considered switching until recently. These boots are very expensive and I am interested in a lower cost option.

I have heard about the heat moldables. Graf? They are less expensive and can achieve a good fit. Does anyone have any experience w/ these? Have you gone from a satisfactory custom to a moldable? What was your experience? Is the savings worth it?

Kay

love2sk8
12-24-2002, 11:49 AM
A cpl years ago, I had Risport Super Cristallo (spelling) and I switched to Grafs about 3 years ago. Since then I've had a pair of Edmonton Specials, and i'm in Graf Galaxies right now. They are AMAZING!! I'm so happy with them, and I'd never switch. Heat moulding is awesome, because it is shaped to your foot, whereas the risports or other kinds will give you more blisters trying to get your foot used to the stiff boot. I've had the pair im in right now for about a year and a half (doing double, triples) and theyre not broken down yet. You should try the Grafs out, but make sure that they go with your foot shape...my feet aren't narrow, and they still fit right, despite the fact that theyre made for a more narrow foot. I have absolutely no regrets with Graf.

IceAngel725
12-25-2002, 09:47 PM
well... i don't think i can exactly answer your question, but my reponse might be somewhat relevant...

I have heat moldable riedell (sp?) skates and the man who fit them said they were a perfect fit to begin with and besides rubbing on one of my ankles there was no break in period! of course after skating for over 2 years with skates that weren't fit right anything would be good... but these are exceptional.

My advice would be to go to someone who is good at fitting skates and see what they would suggest, i'm sure you could get a boot that it shaped like your foot and after heat molding it wuold be perfect-- and if not it's worth a try!

good luck!

DRENDAVN
12-25-2002, 11:11 PM
Hi Kay,

I do not have personal experience with GRAF but I know many high-level skaters at my rink are in them including the Russian coaches, a Gold level adult gal who skates with us and others. Everyone I've asked loves them.

Last time I got GAM 080 Podium which are also heat moldable. It works. Your boots become semi-custom in 40 minutes. My skateguy was one of the first GAM dealers around and has sold a bunch. Several adults in our group are in them and we all love them. They tend to be lower-cut and softer than others although the 400 model is pretty stiff. The GAM seems to be ideal for my footshape - wide front and narrow heel. I'm in a medium width and I haven't heard how their other widths and sizes run.

I think you'll find both Graf and GAM to be much lighter boots than Harlick but the rest may be a crapshoot since you've had such good luck fitwise so far.

Dave D.

Mrs Redboots
12-26-2002, 02:31 PM
My husband has heat-mouldable Grafs and loves them.

singerskates
12-27-2002, 02:42 PM
I wear Graf Edmonton Specials and I have had them since a year and a half ago. Not one crease yet. If you're doing 3 jumps I'd get extra strength Edmonton Specials. Otherwise regular strength does just fine.

You can heat mold your heat moldable boots in your home oven at 100 F for 8 minutes without your guards on on a cookie sheet. Then when you take them out wear oven mits, place your guards on and then put them on your feet for at least half an hour. You can even go around for an hour with them on to be sure that they have cooled down to your feet's shape.