View Full Version : Short Program music...!!!!HELP!!!

Skatingsarah
12-18-2002, 03:34 PM
Hey, I'm planning to compete in Novice ladies next year again, but for the last 2 years I have had the same short program music. It was to chopsticks and I enjoyed it. But I definetly need something new. For the next program I was looking for something saucy, fun and something I can perform to! I have been looking around and I figured that I should maybe ask your guy's opinion! So I'm sure you have all went through alot of music changes and I was wondering if any of you new of some nice short program music! PLEASE HELP!!!
-Sarah

melanieuk
12-19-2002, 06:26 AM
I always say this (much to the chagrin of some of my friends!) but I like Yanni - click here to hear some music! (http://www.yanni.com/site/main.html)

I also like some of Peter Gabriel's music.

Or maybe have a looks at the MUSIC LISTS (here) (http://www.skatemusiclist.com/) for some ideas.

Good luck with your search. :D
I'm looking for music too! :roll:

Elsy2
12-19-2002, 08:07 AM
Finding good music is always tough...I recommend going to your local library and taking out CD's of soundtracks and trying to find something zingy and powerful for your short. Also, whenever you go to the moves, keep an ear open for the music, especially the beginning and ending credits. If your presentation is particularly nice, you might want to go more classical. By Novice level, you should be able to present that very well, including piano.

I really like the Moulin Rouge program that Takeshi Honda skated to at the Hallmark competition. It builds nicely and has lots of potential for footwork and spins.

Mrs Redboots
12-19-2002, 10:51 AM
As you asked for concrete suggestions, what about one of Scott Joplin's rags? (They all sound pretty much the same, but I enjoy them!). The classic, of course, is The Entertainer which was the theme tune to the movie The Sting some years ago now.

Designdiva
12-19-2002, 11:15 AM
If there is a soundtrack that you like, try going to Amazon.com and finding out what else the composer has written. Often you can find other recordings that are better than the soundtrack. For the classical composers, try checking out his contemporaries, i,e. Mozart-Haydn.

If you are looking for something "saucy" try the jazz quartet Fourplay. Most of their music is skateable and sexy.

If you are going to go classical, try looking for obscure tangos that you can have some fun with. Try Rimsky-Korsakov or Massenet.

I second visiting the music department of your Main Library. You can go there to listen to records and tapes and typically the librarian is knowledgeable. Just be patient and open to surprises.

— the diva, who thinks skating clubs should offer seminars on music appreciation.

Skatingsarah
12-19-2002, 11:21 AM
Thanks alot guys, although it is actualy very difficult to go to a music library since I live in much a SMALL town! There is no cd store for that matter unless they sell cd's at giant tiger I think thats it lol! But I really appreciate the suggestions. Your right Elys2 maybe cassical would be nice...Umma. But my long is kinda classical its the merry widow waltz.

Thanks agai Skaters Keep em coming :)
*Sarah

arena_gal
12-19-2002, 01:12 PM
I picked up music for two programs this year from those $4.99 CD's that they sell at Zellers (I'm sure Giant Tiger has the same sort of stuff).
They're the "best of classical", "best of jazz" sort of things done by a no-name orchestra and there's never any vocals. Just music, and then I cut, cut, cut it all over the place for the programs.

love2sk8
12-19-2002, 04:24 PM
hey sarah!
I can totally see you skating to classical..thats an awesome idea! Jazz would be good too! Try Kazaa...i've been searching there for a long time, and its actually pretty good. It takes a while to download things tho, but it's worth it in the end. Thats where i found my short last year;)
~cindy

Skatingsarah
12-24-2002, 04:13 PM
Sorry about this guys, I know this topic I started is TRES old but I got an idea and I was wondering if ne of you guys could help me out in this department. Have any of you ever heard the music "When your Smiling" by Louis Armstrong but in intrumentals. I have found MILLIONS of ones with the vocals but none with out!
Thanks alot, SOrry again
-Sarah