View Full Version : Blades:Coronation vs Comet vs MK Pro vs.Ultima

JD
12-18-2002, 12:03 PM
Ok...now I'm confused....

There are just so many blades out there!!!

All started with an upcoming change in skates. We are trying to decide what blades to go with...

Since my teensy 10 yr old isn't particularly happy with the Coronation Ace. as bad as it sounds, she liked the feeling of her old MK Club 2000 blades much better-

however, she gets major height on her jumps now...but somehow she seemed more steady on the old blades, [according to her] but can't go back because we need toe picks...and she insists these blades are not as good for spinning as the old ones...grin...[of course, she tells us this a year into the Aces,...]

She's working on doubles up to 2lutz, double combos, axel combos and multi spin combos. Next year would be her Juvenile competitive year.

We are looking at different blades. Our fitter has all kinds of suggestions for blades... Given her age, we aren't into most expensive, just most suitable for her...and we now have all kinds of choices we didn't before, now that blades are nice and small for a size 13 jr skate....

I've looked at different sites...and specifications...and as a non skater, am totally confused...MK pro looks really similar to the Club 2000, except bigger toepick and ROH measurement...Comet and Ace-how much difference???

Opinions on the MK Professional versus Wilson Comet and Ace are appreciated, ie whats difference, if any...which is better if she's longing for the old blades...grin...or any thoughts on the Ultimas-since they are supposed to be stable....

I know the Ace is a great blade...but if she thinks something different will make her happier...so be it...

We are trying to find a good freestyle blade, preferably affordable [grin] needed for spins and jumps--and anything which assists in speed would be a bonus...sometimes she said she feels like her blades are holding her feet to the ice if that makes any sense...

and it must come in 7 3/4 and above.....[as consistency is the name of the game]

sk8er1964
12-18-2002, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by JD
Since my teensy 10 yr old isn't particularly happy with the Coronation Ace.

OK, I'm a big and still slightly overweight adult, so take everything I say with a grain of salt :lol:

My old skates have Coronation Ace blades. When I was fit for my new skates, my fitter told me that since I would be starting double jumps I needed to upgrade my blades (and my old blades wouldn't fit my new boots anyway). He suggested Ultima Elites, which he said were very similar to Pattern 99's just less expensive. (BTW, as a kid in the dark ages doing doubles up to lutz, I skated on Coronation Aces.)

I like the Elites alot. I feel very secure on them, and they have a good rocker and good sized toe pick. My spins have improved 200%, and I think my jumping is more secure on them. Ask your fitter about them, and if he is not familiar with them, have him check them out.

Elsy2
12-18-2002, 01:52 PM
I'm just going to add the the Ultimas do seem to be a "faster" blade so to speak...the glide from them is certainly a way different feel than the Aces. Both my daughter and I switched to Ultima, and we both had an adjustment period. Although they were supposed to come from the factory with a decent edge, that was not true, and we had to have them sharpened or we were just skidding out sideways like crazy. Keep in mind the Ultimas are now a 8' rocker....not 7.5 like they were. The comets are an 8.5' radius and will be much different than she is used to.
You'll have to decide whether you want to stick with a 7' radius or change to a flatter 8', which often gives you more speed, but will take some adjusting to most likely.

If you decide to stick with a 7' radius, then I'd try an MK blade....The Professional is comparable to Aces as an intermediate level blade. I personally would add a higher level MK blade to your options based on her level of skating. If you think a change to 8' would be beneficial, then I'd consider the Ultimas. Ask your skate professional about the Ultimas, as it used to be you could return them if you didn't like them. Now that Jackson has taken over, I'm not sure if that is still done.

Hope all this isn't too confusing....It is so difficult to make this decision!

flo
12-18-2002, 02:11 PM
The comets are a good combination blade - great for learning better edges and also for freestyle. From them I went to Phantoms.

Mazurka Girl
12-21-2002, 08:07 AM
I went from Coronation Ace to Comet to Pattern 99's & have never had a problem. I used the same blades for patch & dance as well.

icesk8rchiq
12-21-2002, 10:08 PM
In my opinion, your daughter seems to be at too high a level for Aces.. Pattern 99's are great, IMO..