View Full Version : Help me, Christmas Angels--blades for a good cause

Yazmeen
12-17-2002, 09:18 AM
I need a Christmas angel, if there's one on this board that fits the bill: The young lady I mentioned in the lessons thread who hurt her wrist, whose stepfather has terminal lung cancer, badly needs new blades. (We think her old basic blades contributed to her fall on Saturday night).

Her coach (my hubby's coach and one of our dearest friends) is looking to see if anyone has a pair of used Coronation Ace blades, size 10 and 1/4 available for sale. Please get back to me ASAP.

Gary, sk8pics and all who offered to help--this would be the best way--see if you know anyone who has a set they can part with. The family wants to do its own holiday shopping this year (I think they need the break from home, frankly) and our club is providing Christmas dinner and we're more than set for that.

I appreciate your help with this, everyone, and happy, happy holidays!!!

Many, many, hugs,

Beth

sk8pics
12-17-2002, 09:25 AM
Beth,
I do have a friend with used Coronation Ace blades. She can't remember if they're a 10 or a 10 1/4, but we'll check tonight and I'll let you know. Maybe she could get by with the 10 if no 10 1/4 show up!
Pat

garyc254
12-17-2002, 10:45 AM
Does anybody have an idea of what new ones would cost?

Yazmeen
12-17-2002, 12:01 PM
New, through my own shop would be about $165 plus tax.

Beth

flo
12-17-2002, 12:25 PM
I have a pair at home from the tag sale, I'll check the size tonight.

sk8er1964
12-17-2002, 12:37 PM
Yazmeen

My old Coronation Aces are around that size - I'll check at home tonight. Or in the alternative, I'd be happy to contribute to new ones...

garyc254
12-17-2002, 01:20 PM
The holiday spirit gets to me (sniff) and I'm sure my record in heaven could use a "good" check mark.

I'd be willing to contribute for the young girl to get BRAND NEW blades for Christmas.

garyc ---------- Yes
sk8er1964 ---- Yes
Yazmeen ------ Yes

Anyone else?

I could put the blades on my charge card. Yazmeen could pick them up from her local shop and maybe have them in time for Christmas. Anyone willing to donate could drop me a check at my office address. If we get too much in donations, we could get the young lass some accessories.

C'mon!!!! It's Christmas!!!! I'd like to see the girl have a reason to smile.

:D

Blue Line
12-17-2002, 01:38 PM
I'm a poor college student who would love to give the gift of Aces. http://www.thehdtb.com/emoticons/hug.gif

Yazmeen, does/will your pro shop mount blades that aren't bought through them? We could scour the internet (like I know we all have) for a slightly lower price on the blades.

Get into the holiday spirit, boys and girls! http://www.thehdtb.com/emoticons/group.gif

Yazmeen
12-17-2002, 01:42 PM
My pro will give me at least a small discount on brand new ones, and I'm sure she'd mount any pair. You guys are wonderful (Gary, you are absolutely unbelievable!!! God bless you!!!).

Let's see what everyone comes up with on used blades--and we'll keep new ones as a possibility also. Thank you, thank you, thank you--you truly are a bunch of angels (now where are those wings when we waltz jump, backspin, toeloop, etc....they always pick the darndest times to be hidden!!!!!) :lol:

Again, hugs,

Beth

JDC1
12-17-2002, 01:53 PM
Happy to contribute some money towards the blades. It took a group effort to get me my new skates so I know how it feels. :-) Just PM with the info.

Jackie

Elsy2
12-17-2002, 03:05 PM
Count me in.......I checked my old blades, and I have some Aces that are 10", and a pair of 10 1/2"....but both pair have problems and I'd rather she get nice new blades if possible.....Ho, ho, ho!

icesk8er31
12-17-2002, 03:13 PM
I have a set of gently used Coronation Comets, but they are a size 10. If those would work, you guys could have them.

MissIndigo
12-17-2002, 03:15 PM
I was wondering if they had to be Aces...I have a pair of 10 1/4 MK Professionals I don't need anymore. I'd have to tune them up a bit, but they have a lot of life left in them.

dbuckley
12-17-2002, 03:43 PM
I have a pair of coronation Aces size 10 1/4. They are in excellent condition. I had them 9
months when I got my new skates and I needed size
10 blades instead. Let me know.

garyc254
12-17-2002, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by MissIndigo
I have a pair of 10 1/4 MK Professionals I don't need anymore.

This is a decision I'm going to have to leave up to someone with more equipment experience. I know nothing about blades: styles, makes, types, new, used, etc.

Personally, I think it would be cool to give her "new" blades, but I'd hate to pass up something that would be as good or better for her or make her just as happy.

How do you tune up blades?

I've tuned up my car before. Do blades have points and plugs? :lol:

garyc254
12-17-2002, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by dbuckley
I have a pair of coronation Aces size 10 1/4. They are in excellent condition. I had them 9
months when I got my new skates and I needed size
10 blades instead. Let me know.

Ok, once again, I need an opinion from experience. New vs excellent used?

I don't have enough experience with blades to know. Can anyone help?

MissIndigo
12-17-2002, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by garyc254

I've tuned up my car before. Do blades have points and plugs? :lol:

Hee hee...I'd just have to have them sharpened. :lol:

dbny
12-17-2002, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by garyc254
The holiday spirit gets to me (sniff) and I'm sure my record in heaven could use a "good" check mark.

I'd be willing to contribute for the young girl to get BRAND NEW blades for Christmas.

garyc ---------- Yes
sk8er1964 ---- Yes
Yazmeen ------ Yes

Anyone else?

I could put the blades on my charge card. Yazmeen could pick them up from her local shop and maybe have them in time for Christmas. Anyone willing to donate could drop me a check at my office address. If we get too much in donations, we could get the young lass some accessories.

C'mon!!!! It's Christmas!!!! I'd like to see the girl have a reason to smile.

:D

I'm in too.

garyc254
12-17-2002, 10:02 PM
Beth,

I've left you a PM with my phone number. Call me on Wednesday.

Gary

LoopLoop
12-18-2002, 07:22 AM
Beth, count me in too.

JD
12-18-2002, 08:26 AM
Be glad to help.....if we're buying new...PM me...

Yazmeen
12-18-2002, 09:02 AM
Again, thank you everyone:

dbuckley: What are you asking for those blades?

sk8pics: Any luck on your end?

MissIndigo: I'll let you know on the MK's.

Gary and everyone else: I'm going to check in today with the coaches involved (there are four of us working on this, so its possible one of the others has found them, too). I'll get back to you all with their info once I hear from them--which may not be until this evening.

Again, thank you so very much--I'll keep you posted on Operation Coronation Ace!!!!

Hugs and Christmas cookies,

Beth

flo
12-18-2002, 09:23 AM
Hi,
I checked, and mine are 10! I'd be glad to contribute as well.

MissIndigo
12-18-2002, 09:37 AM
I just double-checked my MK blade size again and it is 10 1/3, but still might work.

In any case, I'd like to contribute something as well. Let me know.

sk8er1964
12-18-2002, 09:38 AM
My Aces are only 10's.

sk8pics
12-18-2002, 11:27 AM
Beth-
We forgot to look last night. I'll give her a call tonight and ask her to look and let you know when I hear.
Pat

Yazmeen
12-18-2002, 01:02 PM
OK, troopers (the Angel Army!!!)--I just spoke to the young lady's coach and another coach involved in this effort:

They are just AMAZED with all of you!!! Her coach likes the idea of possibly getting new blades, and we've decided that we'll give it a little more time for sk8pics and dbuckley to check in about their possible used blades. Otherwise, I'll call my pro and order in a new set and I'll PM everyone who'd like to contribute and you can send your donations to me. There will be contributors on our end, too, so this will probably just involve a small amount from everyone who'd like to participate.

Our skater unfortunately did incur a fracture but is doing fine with a newly casted arm. She is off ice for at least six weeks, so we don't have to have the blades by Christmas. If we go with new ones, what we'll do is wrap the empty Ace box that I still have in my closet with an explanation that new ones are coming. (I kept my box just in case I had any problem with my new ones).

Again, thank you for all you help with this. Anyone who'd like to participate let me know. Once we decide on old versus new, I'll see how many are "in" on this end and on our club end and then I can let everyone know the cost.

Like I said, you guys are amazing!!! The Skating Forum On Ice Angels!! (I thought of Adrian's Angels, but that sounds too much like we should all be running around in bikinis and flipping our hair.... :lol: )

Thanks again,

Beth

dani
12-18-2002, 01:40 PM
Hi everyone! I have been privately instigating, but thought I would throw out the suggestion that we do something nice anyway. Even if the blades come through, how about a present from us at the forum like a new dress or something else nice but maybe not as "practical". I am sure she will appreciate and be surprised by anything, but still ...

No matter what, count me in!

Hugs!
Danielle

dbuckley
12-18-2002, 05:16 PM
I would be willing to donate my blades if someone
will cover the shipping.

sk8pics
12-18-2002, 07:32 PM
My friend has 10" Coronation Ace (also 10 1/4 MK Professionals). She said she'd sell them for $50 plus shipping. Somehow when I was talking to her, I was thinking you needed 10" Coronations, but now I'm thinking I got it mixed up. Anyway, she says they're in good condition --both pairs. She just didn't think they were right for her.

Anyway, count me in to help out somehow. And Beth, maybe if she wants one of these pairs you and I could meet somewhere, and that would save on shipping. (Hey, you could come skate with me!)

Pat

garyc254
12-18-2002, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by dbuckley
I would be willing to donate my blades if someone
will cover the shipping.

If this is the way Beth wants to go and you can get them to UPS, I'll give you my company's UPS account number to ship them on. We could do 2nd day or next day air and get them to her in time for Christmas. :D

Dani suggested that we could also go for a new dress or something "less practical" for her, too. I'm all for that. This girl is going to need all of the smiles she can get.

Beth called me today and gave me more details about the girl and her family. I'll keep what she said confidential, but let me say that this girl and her family really need a boost right now. I don't know if I could handle the turmoil the mother is going through.

Let's just say that getting back on the ice next year after her fracture heals may be one of the few joys the new year will bring her.

Elsy2
12-19-2002, 08:11 AM
I think it's a bit difficult to give someone a dress...she'd be disappointed if it doesn't fit. I'm going to suggest other accessories, like new soakers and guards. A skating sweater or fleece jacket might be something easier to choose regarding fit.

I'm going out of town Sunday, so if we don't get this all together by then, know that I'm still interested in contributing, but won't be available until late next week to respond.

Yazmeen
12-19-2002, 08:39 AM
Talking to some of our other coaches, including my own, this morning at my lesson, and having just spoken to her coach, we think new blades may be the best way to go. This young lady is ISI Freestyle I and is learning her first jumps and spins, and she really tends to hurl herself into her skills (she definitely has guts!!!). In fact, I believe it was a waltz jump or try at a toeloop that did in her wrist. I have at least eight people on my end (probably more) who are willing to contribute, and with all of you who have offered, this should be no problem. Also, just in case 10 and 1/4 doesn't turn out to be the right fit, it wil be easy for my pro, Dori to return them for the right size. I'll order them today, and once I figure out how all this splits up, I'll let all of you know what you need to send to me.

If there's enough funds, we can get her a dress--one member of our club sells Capezio, will sell it at cost, and knows the girl's size, not to mention her taste. Our group is also going to try and do something for her brother who also skates, although he is more hockey oriented. Your help with his sister's gift allows us to do more!!!

This is so amazing. Her mother wants her to have different blades to prevent further injury and Mom thinks she is going to pay for these (the skater's coach is keeping mum about this of course, and Mom will just think we're still trying to find used ones). You cannot believe how wonderful this is going to make her Christmas.

Again, thank you, thank you--by the by, since you're all such friends to her now, our skater's name is Justine.

Hugs aplenty,

Beth

garyc254
12-19-2002, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Yazmeen
Our group is also going to try and do something for her brother who also skates, although he is more hockey oriented.

If he's not too old, there may be time to save him. :lol:

Beth, I like the idea. Why don't you PM those of us that volunteered to contribute your mailing address and we can get our donations in the mail. That way, you'll know what you have to work with. We could PM you back with the amount we're sending, so you'll know.

If anyone else wants to contribute, you can PM Beth for her address.

sk8er1964
12-19-2002, 09:42 AM
Beth - PM me because I don't know how to PM you!

Patsy
12-19-2002, 03:12 PM
Beth, since this is the only chance I'll ever have to be an "on ice" *anything*, please count me in as an On Ice Angel. PM what I owe and where it goes when you know. Returning to lurk mode now . . . . .

Blue Line
12-19-2002, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Yazmeen
Our group is also going to try and do something for her brother who also skates, although he is more hockey oriented. Your help with his sister's gift allows us to do more!!!

How old is this brother, Beth, and is he a fan of professional hockey?
I come from a very hockey-oriented family (Dad and Sister play, and we're all fans) and it's definitely possible for me to get some goodies for the brother.

Yazmeen
12-19-2002, 04:28 PM
Add my pro to the list of Christmas Angels--she is giving us the blades for a phenomenal price (let me just say that she's coming in nicely below $150 for brand new Aces). She teased me that she was afraid I'd be mad because while she gave me a discount, mine were rather a bit more expensive than this pair!!!
:P Of course, that's why she can make a special discount like this!!!!!!

Is it reasonable for me to ask that those who wish to contribute send me a check for anything from five to ten dollars, depending on your budget? Anything left over will go to add to Justine's gift or to help the family out for holiday happiness or other needs. If those interested will put a post here, I'll PM you all in the next few days with my address (I don't want to post it here on the forum for obvious privacy reasons). There is no rush for the checks, folks--Dori is going to send out the order next week. She asked me to have Justine's coach double check the size first.

I have to tell you, I haven't felt this good in a long, long time. With all the sadness in this world from the threat of war to Trent Lott to everything else, everyone I've approached about this has restored my faith in humanity as a whole. On top of everything, I found out about a research protocol at University of Pennsylvania hospital that could help her stepdad--its certainly not a cure but it could buy some time. I"m not sure he'd qualify, but its worth a shot. Luckily I have a Radiologist at my hospital married to an Oncologist with the Jefferson system who might be able to help. (So much for the concept of doctors being cold and uncaring....)

Geez, I'm floating right now. Let me know if this sounds good to all of you, and post if you want to participate. I also want to send special hugs to garyc254 for suggesting new blades in the first place and to dbuckley for offering the used ones at no cost. Both of you and everyone here are very special people.

I'm babbling, what more can I say...

THANK YOU!!!

Beth

dani
12-19-2002, 04:39 PM
I'm in, please PM me!!

Hugs!

Danielle "Christmas Angel #17"

;-)

flo
12-19-2002, 04:51 PM
On the way!
Merry Christmas to all.

Mazurka Girl
12-19-2002, 05:03 PM
Hi Yazmeen, PM me. I will send a donation. Nice of you to do all this.

MissIndigo
12-19-2002, 08:22 PM
Please PM me too! I'd like to contribute something!

garyc254
12-19-2002, 08:39 PM
The best part of this is that so few of us have ever met except on this forum. We could walk past each other on the street and not recognize each other. People from all over that don't need to know each other to know the caring that is in our hearts.

Beth, thank you for bringing this girl and her family to our attention. It gives us a chance to show our true nature. The nature of humanity and feelings.

There will always be wars, conflicts, and politicians. It's the freedom we have and the goodness in our heart that really allows this world to survive.

As I've said before, people that figure skate are a community, no matter where you are in this world. We are related.

Is it the ice? :lol:

Elsy2
12-19-2002, 08:54 PM
The rink may be a cold place....but you can find alot of warmth here! Being able to do something nice like this just makes me feel :D

Integrity
12-19-2002, 09:09 PM
Hi Yazmeen:

I have got all kinds of skating attire that I have been thinking of trying to sell, but after reading about this kid, I'd like to give them away!

I've got skirts, dresses, leggings, tights, wind pants.....you name it, I have it. Some of it may not fit her yet, but some of these things will probably never go out of style & she can keep them for later.

I would be more than willing to send a package of the clothing to you. Where should I send it?

Cheers!

sk8pics
12-20-2002, 06:22 AM
Count me in, too, Beth. PM me so I can send you a check.

Pat

skaternum
12-20-2002, 09:35 AM
Beth,
PM me with your address. I'd like to send a little something too.

skaternum

LoopLoop
12-20-2002, 09:43 AM
Beth, send me a PM too.

Yazmeen
12-20-2002, 10:09 AM
Again, thanks to all of you. I'll start getting those PM's out to you this weekend.

Integrity: Thanks for the kind offer--hold on that for now, please, I don't want to completely overwhelm the Mom here (remember, she thinks she's just getting used blades she has to pay for). She's a proud woman, doing her best and we want to be gentle about this. You offer is appreciated though.

I've had the suggestion from one of our coaches that any extra funds go toward ice time as the family has had some trouble paying for ice both for Justine and her brother since their lives crashed with this situation. (Gary: It turns out I was mixing her brother up with another skater's brother--they are about the same age and its Maggies brother who takes hockey). Justine's brother, Joseph, is taking figure skating lessons - Yes, another boy over to the "light" side!! :lol: Before anyone asks, Joseph has new Reidell's that he is breaking in, so he's fine skate-wise. Again, extra funds collected can go toward ice time, which will be a big load off of Mom.

I can only again say, thank you!!!

Feeling so good,

Beth

sk8er1964
12-20-2002, 03:23 PM
PM me too, please.

Spinner
12-20-2002, 10:23 PM
Beth, add me to your pm list. ;) I may also have a few skater autographs I can dig up to donate as well.

You know, as a retail manager it gets difficult this time of year to keep the spirit up, but let me tell you--this effort has put a huge smile on my heart. :mrgreen:

skaternum
12-21-2002, 08:55 AM
I love the idea of using the extra funds for ice time. It must be a pretty big expense for them with two kids skating. (Hooray for the brother!!)