View Full Version : Opinions on MK Phantom

cparakeet
12-15-2002, 12:16 AM
I'm considering getting MK Phantoms.

Any words of advice on them?

I have MK Gold Stars right now and love them, but am curious to try something new, the blades are 1/4 inch too short now. Am looking to do doubles, axel on them. How are Phantoms as spinning blades? Any issues with adjusting to them? Also Phantoms are a lot cheaper than Gold Stars, not sure why. any ideas?

ginamarie
12-15-2002, 01:44 AM
I'm using phantoms and I think they're great! But then again, I haven't really used any other blade before this, so this is just my opinion :)

But they can be a pain to get sharpened, being tapered blades.

Hope this helps (though I really doubt it..hehehe)

:lol:

dbny
12-15-2002, 01:47 AM
Gold Seals are also tapered, so sharpening won't be any more difficult for you. It's possible that the Gold Seals are a better quality steel than the Phantoms or even that the solid toe plate is what accounts for the price difference.

dobiesk8r
12-15-2002, 08:41 AM
Sigh.

I loved my Phantoms. I have Gold Seals now, with the solid
toeplate. I've gotten used to them, but I don't think I like them
as much as I did the Phantoms. My coach told me that Gold
Seals were a great spinning blade, so I was intrigued. But
I clearly remember that when I changed from Coronation
Ace to Phantom, my camel went from being OK to being
really good and dependable. It's my best spin.

I believe that the Phantom special has a solid toeplate, but
someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Sadly, I got my new blades sharpened by a bad sharpener,
and I had to get them redone. I'm picking them up this
afternoon and skating on them tomorrow. I'm hoping that
they're ok, but I learned an expensive lesson.

cparakeet
12-15-2002, 09:48 AM
I think people get confused whenever I say " MK Gold Stars" They think I mean "Wilson Gold Seals".

No.

They are two very different blades. MK Gold Stars has a 7" rocker just like the Phantom and the toe picks are a bit lower. The Wilson Gold Seal has a 8" rocker and has a toe pick that rises higher.

skaternum
12-15-2002, 10:14 AM
About 2 years ago, I made the switch from MK Professionals to MK Phantoms. I also switched boots at the same time, so it's a little hard to tell which impacted what. But I found I had a little problem getting used to the big ol' toepick on the Phantoms. I had to consciously fight a weight shift forward on the blade. But other than that, it wasn't too bad. I've been pretty happy with them so far.

CanAmSk8ter
12-15-2002, 12:08 PM
I don't have anything to say about the blades, but I thought you might all find this funny- I forgot I was on the skaters board and not the fan board, and I got all excited for a minute when I saw this topic heading because I thought Michelle Kwan was skating to Phantom of the Opera. Oh well.

dbny
12-15-2002, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by cparakeet
I think people get confused whenever I say " MK Gold Stars" They think I mean "Wilson Gold Seals".

I don't know if other people get confused, but for me it was just the wee hours and a little sherry that did it :roll:

dbny
12-15-2002, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by CanAmSk8ter
I don't have anything to say about the blades, but I thought you might all find this funny- I forgot I was on the skaters board and not the fan board, and I got all excited for a minute when I saw this topic heading because I thought Michelle Kwan was skating to Phantom of the Opera. Oh well.

:lol: :lol: :lol: That's a great idea though.

dobiesk8r
12-15-2002, 07:19 PM
I wasn't confused; it's just that I happened to go from Phantoms
to Gold Seals. Perhaps I shouldn't have brought up my new
blade if it added confusion - the point I was making was that
I think I like the Phantoms better.

I can't comment on Gold Stars, other than I know they're not
Gold Seals;)

flo
12-16-2002, 09:31 AM
I went from comets to phantoms. I love them.

KJD
12-16-2002, 11:37 AM
I originally went from Coronation Aces to Phantoms and loved them. I had them two years and then switched to Gold Seals. While I loved my Phantoms, my Gold Seals have helped my turns and spins a lot (jumps were never the issue). But Phantoms are a good blade.