View Full Version : rust on blade...uh oh

Andie
12-13-2002, 11:31 PM
8O The other day after skating, to my horror I discovered one of my blades has a tiny amount of rust stuff on it....a few tiny spots on the very bottom of the blade. Usually I am great at drying off my skates, but that particular day I was in a hurry and must not have wiped them properly, plus they sat in my car for several hours before I was able to get them home. :( Fortunately it appears to be superficial, it will probably be ground off next time I get them sharpened.

I dunno if anyone here knows anything about what to do, but if not that's okay, as I'm certain it's nothing as bad as it sounds/looks.

garyc254
12-14-2002, 12:02 AM
In my opinion, the best way to dry off your blades is to use a chamois(which has a natural oil), then put on soakers until you get home. Afterward, remove the soakers and let them air dry (which I always forget to do).

You can buy a chamois at any auto parts dealer. They are used for drying cars after washing.

As for the small amount of rust you have, some emery paper from the hardware store will remove it. Then use a rag spritzed (not heavy) with WD40 to wipe off the blade.

Voila!!!! No more rust and a good lubricant on the blades to protect them.

dooobedooo
12-14-2002, 04:35 AM
8O Eeeeeeek!!!!! No need to use emery paper on your valuable blades! Leave that to the professionals ....

Just get a can of handy oil. Balance your boots on a surface so that the blades are uppermost. Smear the handy oil all along the groove and all round the blade where there is rust. Leave it for a few hours. Oil dissolves rust, and you will be able to wipe off the oil and rust. Then rinse the blades in warm water with a drop of washing-up liquid, rinse in clear water and wipe dry. Repeat the oil application sequence about three times until all rust is gone. You will be left with a darker mark on the blades where the rust was, but the rust will be gone.

Then take them to a professional blade sharpener for a light sharpen. 8-)

Elsy2
12-14-2002, 06:42 AM
I've been told that if it is just a small amount of superficial rust that just skating on them will remove it, and if not, a light sharpening certainly will. Maybe Santa will bring me a chamois for Christmas? I've been a good girl......;)

arena_gal
12-14-2002, 09:19 AM
In my own personal opinion I think the fear of rust on skate blades is greatly exaggerated. Any rust on the bottom of the blade will be skated off, and unless you totally ignore your skates for months on end, rust on the sides (on the unchromed part) will come off with wiping or at the next sharpening. I don't believe in sharpening blades to remove rust because every sharpening shortens the life of the blade. However, that doesn't mean that it's okay to dash off the ice, toss the skates in a bag and leave them in your car for days without paying some attention to them.
I use Vaseline on the blades over the summer to store them for the next season.

Mrs Redboots
12-14-2002, 11:45 AM
If it's any consolation, Andie, I had rust on my blades once, but it disappeared with being skated-on.

Do make sure to wipe your blades - if funds don't run to a chamois (the vegans among us will doubtless not want to use them anyway), you can get synthetic ones, but an old face-flannel or square of towelling works very well, and then keep them in towelling-lined soakers when not in use. I know one woman who gives her blades a preliminary wipe with lavatory paper. And at the Paramount rink in Los Angeles I was amused and delighted to notice that they provided little boxes of tissues at the exit to the ice, but whether that was for blades or noses was unclear - they did sterling duty for both!

What does cause rust is leaving your blades, unwiped, in hard guards. And it's horrendously easy to do, especially in a strange rink when you put your guards on as soon as you leave the ice, then forget you haven't yet wiped them.....

NickiT
12-15-2002, 05:48 AM
If you just have very small rust spots on the bottoms of your blades then they should come off with skating. It has happened to me a few times but the rust has always been removed by skating. Always make sure you dry your blades thoroughly and like someone else has said, I always transport my skates in soakers then remove them at home and let them air dry.

Nicki

sk8er1964
12-16-2002, 08:37 AM
I use cloth diapers to dry my blades (even though my kid is seven now!). They are very absorbant, and get every bit of moisture.

Andie
12-21-2002, 11:41 PM
Thanks people.
The other day I showed the blade to my instructor, she said that it will come off with a sharpening. And my blades are probably due to be sharpened soon anyway. I've skated on them two or three times since the one got rust, and the spots appear to be thinner/lighter, so I guess skating a bit has done that. :D

I dry my skates with an old cloth and now I have been remembering to use the cloth guards on the way home instead of hard ones. Then once I'm home I let the blades air-dry.

star_gazer11
10-04-2003, 05:15 PM
I bought a pair of used figure skates at a sports consignment shop for my beginner lessons. There is rust along the length of the bottom of the blade. Is this is serious problem or will it just be shaved off when I get them sharpened? I'm assuming they need to be sharpened because being used, I have no idea when the last time they were used was.

Should I take them to a public skate session and try them out first, or go get them sharpened first? Should I try and remove the rust myself before getting them sharpened?

Thanks for any help.

sk8er1964
10-04-2003, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by star_gazer11
I bought a pair of used figure skates at a sports consignment shop for my beginner lessons. There is rust along the length of the bottom of the blade. Is this is serious problem or will it just be shaved off when I get them sharpened? I'm assuming they need to be sharpened because being used, I have no idea when the last time they were used was.

Should I take them to a public skate session and try them out first, or go get them sharpened first? Should I try and remove the rust myself before getting them sharpened?

Thanks for any help.

Personally, I'd get them sharpened first. Don't worry about the rust, unless the sharpener tells you it is a problem. Just make sure that you talk to other figure skaters and find a good sharpener. Don't just take them to your local rink (unless that person is a trained figure skate sharpening). I had a pair of blades ruined that way :evil: .

Mrs Redboots
10-05-2003, 06:13 AM
Rust on a blade is embarrassing, as it means that once, just once (that's all it takes) you didn't dry them properly (been there, done that!). But it does come off with skating and/or sharpening, so don't worry about it.

sk8clean
10-06-2003, 01:39 PM
All it takes is one time. After my first competition I was so excited I skated good I put the hard skate guards on and ran off to my Mom. A half an hour later I realized I had not wiped my guards off and the damage was done. I am happy to say I did not cry any tears over it. I just learned you have to wipe your blades off as soon as you get off the ice.