View Full Version : New Year's Adult Invitational in Wash. DC

manleywoman
12-12-2002, 07:56 PM
Just reminding all the Adults out there that the New Year's Adult Invitational competition will be held Jan. 31-Feb. 2, 2003 at the Ashburn Ice House in Ashburn, VA (near Dulles airport just outside Washington DC). I competed last year, and it's a really well-run and nice competition with tons of events of many types (spin, moves, freestyle, interp, etc), and is a nice warm up for Adult Nationals!

Collegiate age skaters are particularly encouraged to compete in the young adult categories (18-24 yrs of age) for FS, interpretive and spin events.

Information and applications are available online at http://users.erols.com/wfsc/index.html Just scroll down on the home page, or click on "Upcoming Events."

Deadline for applications is January 1, 2003!

:D

skaternum
12-12-2002, 08:55 PM
manleywoman, are you part of the host club, or just an interested poster?

flo
12-13-2002, 09:04 AM
Hi,
Manley, do you remember if last year the skills events were on the same day as the interpretive?
Thanks,

manleywoman
12-13-2002, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by skaternum
manleywoman, are you part of the host club, or just an interested poster?

I am a member of the host club, though nobody at the club asked me to post the link. It's a good competition, so I thought people would want to know about it. I unfortunately can't compete in it because I'm moving out of state in early Jsnuary, and can't fly back so quickly after moving. :(

Manley, do you remember if last year the skills events were on the same day as the interpretive?

Flo...sorry, I don't remember!

dcden
12-13-2002, 10:50 AM
IIRC, last year they had the compulsory moves, moves in the field, and spin events on the first day, and freestyles and interps the 2nd day. On the 2nd day, they held the freestyle events in roughly increasing order of level, and then ended with the interps.

I don't know if they'll stick to this same format this year. Probably, but don't quote me on it.

skaternum
12-13-2002, 11:31 AM
manleywoman, I was just asking about you being a club member because I wanted to find out who the competition chair is. I have a question about an event.

I attended last year with 2 friends who competed -- I was injured and unable to skate myself. It was a great competition. Very well run! We had a great time. I'd encourage all adult skaters to sign up.

dani
12-13-2002, 03:16 PM
I'm going!!

My one and only Bronze I competition! I am skating FS, bronze Compulsaries, bronze Dance, and Silver MIF. What are others skating?

I hope to make more friends and I am excited to be able to see Jenlyon and Skaternum again!

Hugs!
Danielle

flo
12-13-2002, 03:39 PM
I hope to be doing my interpretive, and perhaps gold spins.

manleywoman
12-13-2002, 03:58 PM
manleywoman, I was just asking about you being a club member because I wanted to find out who the competition chair is. I have a question about an event.

Hmmm, I don't know who the chair is for this particular event, but I imagine if you contact any of the Board members they'd direct you to the right person!8-)

figuristka
12-14-2002, 02:07 AM
Are members that belong to a Canadian club, allowed to enter the USFSA Adult competitons?

skaternum
12-14-2002, 04:20 PM
I've already tried, and nobody ever emailed me back. :( I'll try again...

LoopLoop
12-16-2002, 09:03 AM
I'm competing at this one (my first of the year) in Silver I FS, Silver spins (possibly), and Gold MIF.

Moto Guzzi
12-16-2002, 09:22 AM
I've already tried, and nobody ever emailed me back. :( I'll try again...

Skaternum, I think the competition chair is Peter Tsai.

LoopLoop
12-16-2002, 10:16 AM
Skaternum, I sent you a PM about the competition.

KJD
12-16-2002, 11:32 AM
I think I may be coming up for this as well. I'm thinking I'll do Gold MIF, Gold Compulsory moves and Gold II FS. That's if I can get my coach and I a good fare from Dallas.

flo
01-09-2003, 12:59 PM
Hi,
Anyone know how the response has been?
Thanks

jenlyon60
01-09-2003, 02:16 PM
Haven't heard.

On a side note, Ed Picken (a long-time judge, and former national medalist skater) passed away on 30 December....he was heavily involved in the planning for the Adult Invitational, as well as the WFSC's Pro-Am competition.

Ed judged many of my skating tests, and it won't be the same looking across the ice to the judges panels and not seeing him there.

I'm skating only in Bronze MIF. Had thought about doing Pre-Silver solo, but didn't get my act together to revive them.

--jsl

skaternum
01-09-2003, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by flo
Hi,
Anyone know how the response has been?
Thanks

Good question. All I know is, I'll be there! Shall we try to get some of us together that weekend? Maybe once practice ice info is out we can make some plans.

skaternum

dani
01-09-2003, 03:40 PM
Count me in!!!

I know Jenlyon and skaternum - I can't wait to meet more of you that are going to be there!

Danielle

ps) Hopefully I get to see Ice T and Flutzilla the weekend after so that is cool, too!

jenlyon60
01-09-2003, 04:54 PM
Here is a link to Ashburn Ice House...

Ashburn Ice House (http://www.ashburnice.com)

And here is a link to another nearby rink

Skatequest Reston (http://www.skatequest.com)

Both web sites should have their freestyle sessions listed. Don't know what the pick-up price is at Ashburn, but pick-up at Reston is $10.

I believe I heard that depending on schedule and how the events played out, there would be practice ice on Friday night. Otherwise I know there is FS ice until around 6:15 most days at Ashburn and until 5:30 to 5:45 each day at Reston. I don't know how crowded the Ashburn FS sessions are, either. The 4:15 or so session at Reston is usually the most crowded followed by the next session (although sometimes it's a tad less crowded). Also the quality of the ice on the late afternoon FS session at Reston tends to be the pits unless they changed their Zam schedule. I've been skating earlier in the day at Reston to avoid the rug rats.

If you arrive on Thurs and want to skate at Reston FS sessions on Friday, they do run a 2-for-1 for all FS sessions before 12 noon.

Hope this helps.

skaternum
01-09-2003, 08:01 PM
Thanks, jenlyon60. I can attest to the crappy ice and crowded conditions at the Ashburn rink on Friday afternoon. At last year's comp, it was a zoo, with the rink regulars PLUS many adult competitors!

LoopLoop
01-10-2003, 09:40 AM
If anyone gets in Thursday night, Fairfax Ice Arena has freestyle ice pretty much all day. There's a public session over lunchtime, and one starting at 4:00 p.m., but other than that it's mostly freestyle. The schedule's not online, but the rink phone number is 703-323-1132.

On another note, does anyone know when the schedule will be out?

dcden
01-10-2003, 10:18 AM
On a third note, I was told that we are short on entries for pairs and dance, so if you've been unsure about entering these events, please reconsider. We'd love to have you here! Contact Judy Reiner at JudyQ@rocketmail.com if you need more information.

Skatewind
01-10-2003, 10:37 AM
"On a side note, Ed Picken (a long-time judge, and former national medalist skater) passed away on 30 December....he was heavily involved in the planning for the Adult Invitational, as well as the WFSC's Pro-Am competition."

The Pro-Am competition has been renamed the "Edward G Picken Pro-Am Dance Classic". It is June 13-15 & the brochure is on the Washington FSC web page.

http://users.erols.com/wfsc/

flo
01-10-2003, 11:11 AM
I'd like to meet everyone if I can. I still have my flo t-shirt! We'll have to draw a line throught the fsworld part.
I'd love to do pairs, perhaps I can find a man in the lobby.

LoopLoop
01-10-2003, 11:27 AM
I want to meet people too! Maybe we could have a get-together Saturday night?

jenlyon60
01-10-2003, 12:03 PM
There are a couple good brew pubs near Ashburn Rink...

Old Dominion Brewing Company (http://www.olddominion.com/)

And Sweetwater Tavern (http://www.greatamericanrestaurants.com/sweetMainSter/sm.htm)

There's also a Big Bowl at Dulles Town Center.

skaternum
01-10-2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by LoopLoop
I want to meet people too! Maybe we could have a get-together Saturday night?

Can we hold off on organizing a time / place until we have a better feel for the schedule? I'm looking forward to meeting folks!

jenlyon60
01-10-2003, 02:37 PM
Oh definitely.... Just thought I'd make a couple suggestions (I live 2 miles from Ashburn rink these days...) Of course there's the standard Applebees, Ruby Tuesdays, TGI Fridays etc. nearby also.

I believe last I heard, we had 2 hours of ice on Friday (TBD practice or competition as needed), plus 7 am to 5pm on Sat and Sunday (or as needed).

Skatewind
01-10-2003, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by flo
I'd love to do pairs, perhaps I can find a man in the lobby.
Great! flo is volunteering for the cause. How about you dcden? :D

dcden
01-10-2003, 02:54 PM
Sure! Can flo lift and throw me? :)

flo
01-10-2003, 03:02 PM
Sure, I'll give it a try. I also have a pretty good pivot for a death spiral.8-)

skaternum
01-10-2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by dcden
Sure! Can flo lift and throw me? :)

Okay, but that's it for Adult Pairs entries! I wanna win a medal, and if there's more than three entries, I'll have to just go buy a medal! :)

LWalsh
01-13-2003, 09:01 AM
Has anybody seen a schedule for this competition yet?

Lara

Moto Guzzi
01-13-2003, 09:39 AM
As of Saturday night, the schedule had not yet been completed but should be out soon.

jenlyon60
01-15-2003, 02:35 PM
I heard today that there will be 2 hours of practice ice on Friday afternoon, and 2 hours Saturday morning before the competition starts. Don't know about Sunday morning.

The schedule should be out real soon...

--jsl

dani
01-15-2003, 02:45 PM
Are we going to try to get on the same ice? If so, which timeslot(s) should we pick? I will be there for the Friday practice.

Danielle

jenlyon60
01-15-2003, 03:01 PM
It depends on my schedule and if they need me to help with other stuff (registration etc). Since I'm lead for hospitality, if possible I am going to do as much set-up Friday afternoon/night as I can, so I have more time on Saturday morning to do final set-up.

--jsl

skaternum
01-15-2003, 06:55 PM
I'll be around for practice ice Friday afternoon, too. I really want to see the competition schedule soon. I'm getting antsy!

LoopLoop
01-16-2003, 09:24 AM
I'll probably skate a session Friday afternoon too.

Ellyn
01-16-2003, 01:57 PM
Well, gee, if I'd realized they were offering spin and moves events I might have entered, even though my program isn't ready to compete and my coach is not au courant with the adult events. Plus with missing two weeks of lessons for the holidays I didn't have much chance to bring it up. I really need to read this forum more often.

Anyway, I'll try to get out there at least one day to watch the rest of you and check out what to expect for next year.

If anyone has suggestions for coaches in the DC area that are good on adult issues, please PM me.

flo
01-20-2003, 11:20 AM
The schedule is now posted on the website. Can we make a list? I'd like to meet folks!
I'm skating on Saturday in Interpretive II at 3:55 - the largest group 9!
I see that gold spins did not make it. Had I known it was on Saturday, I would have entered.

dani
01-20-2003, 02:15 PM
My schedule:

I am skating Bronze I freestyle at 10:55 (the second biggest group! ;-)

Bronze I CM at 12:20

on Sunday I skate

Silver I MIF at 9:40 and Bronze solo dance at 10:55

I think I will do the same thing I did at the Peach. I have a blue dress with a yellow skirt that I will wear so that I am recognizable. Plus, I am REALLY tall ;-)

Hugs and see everyone in a week and a half!
Danielle

KJD
01-20-2003, 02:29 PM
I will be there also (although how prepared is questionable at this point - one of my kids was pushed off a slide last week - it was a long week with no skating at all). I am skating Gold CM, Gold ladies FS and Gold MIF on sunday. My hope after so little time to train is just to stay on my feet and look like I belong there.

jenlyon60
01-20-2003, 02:41 PM
Ashburn rink is often a rather chilly rink....

I am skating Bronze MIF Sunday morning and it looks like Bronze Dance later Sunday morning (they needed someone for last place).

I'll be at the rink all weekend working judges hospitality and other stuff as needed.

--jsl

skaternum
01-20-2003, 02:54 PM
Adult Pairs at 12:50 on Saturday. We'll be the Silver medalists. :lol:

LoopLoop
01-20-2003, 03:40 PM
I have to skate both days!

Saturday, 2:00, Silver Ladies I FS
Saturday, 2:40, Silver Ladies I Spins
Sunday, 10:25, Gold Ladies MIF

Practice Ice
I'm not sure which practice session on Friday to sign up for... who's going to which one?

flo
01-20-2003, 03:51 PM
Not sure of practice ice. Perhaps Saturday morning if I don't teach at club that morning. I've been filling in for one of our pros that broke her leg.

LoopLoop
01-24-2003, 11:16 AM
Practice ice
I signed up for the 5:00-6:00 session on Friday afternoon. Anybody else?

skaternum
01-24-2003, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by LoopLoop
Practice ice
I signed up for the 5:00-6:00 session on Friday afternoon. Anybody else?

We signed up for the 3:45 Friday session. I figured the 5:00 session would be more crowded.

jenlyon60
01-24-2003, 12:44 PM
3:45 on fri and the Sunday morning.

LoopLoop
01-24-2003, 01:13 PM
We signed up for the 3:45 Friday session. I figured the 5:00 session would be more crowded.

I figure the 5:00 will be more crowded, but given my work schedule and traffic...

flo
01-24-2003, 01:41 PM
Does anyone know if the judges will be on the same or opposite side of the audience?
Thanks,

skaternum
01-24-2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by flo
Does anyone know if the judges will be on the same or opposite side of the audience?
Thanks,

A very good question. I was wondering that, myself. It looks like the comp will be held on the East rink. It's the farthest away from the main entry to the facility, which is where the Pro-Am is held. Anybody here skate in that?

manleywoman
01-24-2003, 04:30 PM
Last year the judges sat across from the audience, but I think it was in the rink closest to the main entrance, ie: not the east rink.

jenlyon60
01-24-2003, 06:19 PM
The party rooms are in the "center" side of the rink, closest to the exit to the lobby....that's where the judges' hospitality room will be. The locker room entrances are underneath the bleachers.

The judges will be on the far side of the rink, but I don't know if they'll be on the left side or right side of the music area. My guess is they'll be on the right side as one looks across from the bleachers, because that's a quicker walk from the party rooms. That's the spot they used for Pro-Am last year, which was in the East rink.

skaternum
01-24-2003, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the info, jenlyon60! That's what I was hoping.

jenlyon60
01-25-2003, 06:05 AM
One other thing

I'm betting that they will probably use the zamboni entrance to the ice, down past the locker rooms... not the entrance near the doors to the lobby and the party rooms.

This will put the judges at about 2 o'clock to you when you get on the ice.

Don't know if they'll use both entrances for the half rink events...

flo
01-28-2003, 08:06 AM
Great,
Thanks for the information. I don't know what's going to happen this weekend. I hurt my back, and am not really sure what I can do, but I'll have a great costume! Mika gave me a beautiful dance skirt which I've painted - and looking forward to seeing it out on the ice.

Mrs Redboots
01-28-2003, 08:43 AM
Good luck, everybody, and have fun! We long to hear all about it, so don't forget to write it up afterwards.

KJD
01-29-2003, 03:46 PM
Have fun everyone! Unfortunately, I cannot go as my ankle isn't strong enough to get through everything in my program yet. Hopefully I'll see everyone next year.

On a completely unrelated note, does anyone know anything about the Winter Classic in NY? I've been trying to reach the competition chair there with a question but with no response. Thanks.

flo
01-29-2003, 04:00 PM
KJD,
I hope you heal fast. I believe those from the board who will be there are:
Danielle, Jenny, Ellen, Loops, Manley,skaternum and myself.
Are you all going to the Wine and cheese after the last event?

dani
01-29-2003, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by KJD
Have fun everyone! Unfortunately, I cannot go as my ankle isn't strong enough to get through everything in my program yet. Hopefully I'll see everyone next year.

On a completely unrelated note, does anyone know anything about the Winter Classic in NY? I've been trying to reach the competition chair there with a question but with no response. Thanks.

Oh no!! :pout: Am I ever going to be able to connect with you, KJD? ;-)

Get well soon!!
Danielle

ps) I can't wait!! ;-) Flo, you can't forget skaternum! And, yes I am planning on being there. My plans are to hang out with my friends as much as possible! ;-)

flo
01-29-2003, 04:39 PM
Got her. Thanks!

dani
01-29-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by flo
Got her. Thanks!

OH great, now my message looks silly ;-)

I am practicing the early Friday, late Saturday and Sunday. I am easy to recognize because I am really tall, jump high, and can't spin ;-) Seriously, for at least the Friday practice, I will wear my navy blue dress with the yellow trim. (Or just find Jen or Skaternum and they will point me out ;-)

Hugs, I can't wait!!
Danielle

jenlyon60
01-29-2003, 05:48 PM
Friday practice I will be in my favorite black leggings w/ white piping down the sides from Target, and ratty yellow/gold polar fleece pullover or if rink is warm enough, my club warm-up jacket.

Short & chubby and wire-frame glasses.

skaternum
01-29-2003, 07:35 PM
Yeah, don't forget skaternum!

You really won't be able to miss me. I'll be the big ol' girl skating faux pairs. ;) If you still can't recognize me, I'll probably be wearing a dark purple turtleneck velvet skating dress.

I will definitely be at the wine & wine, er ... I mean wine & cheese ... event Saturday night. Like dani, my plan is to hang out most of Saturday. Maybe we can go to dinner on Saturday?

skaternum
01-30-2003, 05:00 AM
I meant to ask jenlyon60 this, but I kept forgetting, so I'll just tack it onto this thread. What is the "Awards Ceremony" listed on the schedule? Does that mean there won't be medal ceremonies during the ice makes?

jenlyon60
01-30-2003, 05:35 AM
I think so. I haven't asked Judy the details.

flo
01-30-2003, 09:56 AM
Great.
I'm short, with red hair. I'll be in a blue painted leotard and skirt. I won't be there early, as I have kids to teach at club Saturday am, but I'll be there after that!

LoopLoop
01-30-2003, 10:07 AM
I'm 5'7" with dark hair, which will be in a ponytail for practice Friday afternoon. I'm skating the 5:00 practice but will be there before the 3:45 ends. For practice I'll wear...let's see... a red velvet skirt. For competition on Saturday I'll be in a black velvet dress (sorry, Skaternum!) with red trim and a three-layered skirt (two layers red, one layer gold). Very Spanish looking.

I'll be there for the wine&cheese on Saturday, and I'd definitely be interested in going to dinner afterward.

Marna

LoopLoop
01-30-2003, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by KJD

Too bad you can't make it! I guess that means we're down to two people in Gold MIF.

Take care of your ankle!

jenlyon60
01-30-2003, 11:13 AM
The Fairfax County kids are off school today and tomorrow, don't know about the Loudoun County kids.

Reston Rink was full of FS kids this morning.

KJD
01-30-2003, 11:31 AM
Loop Loop,
Yes you'll be down to just 2 I think, and I think just two in Gold compulsory as well. I think there are still 4 left in the Gold ladies free skate thought.

LoopLoop
01-30-2003, 12:36 PM
Jen, do you know if we can bring our music on CD? Or do we need cassettes. The announcement says cassettes, but that's what it said last year, and they used CDs if people brought them.

Thanks.

jenlyon60
01-30-2003, 01:11 PM
I don't know. Don't know if they're using the rink sound system or if the guy who came in from Hershey or thereabouts (same guy who does the music for Pro-Am) will have a CD player.

I'd bring a back-up cassette to be on the safe side, though.

Terri C
01-31-2003, 10:45 AM
To everyone competing this weekend:
GOOD LUCK!!!
I really wish I could be there, but unfortunately, I have to work!:cry:

Hope to meet some of you at either CRC in March at Annapolis, or May Day Open at Laurel in May!

flo
02-04-2003, 01:40 PM
Almost recovered from the weekend. It was great to meet Dani (congratulations!), loops and skaternum and her partner. I think that the "faux" should be removed from your pairs title, you two have the potential for a great pair! I also got to see loops skate her freestyle with lots of character and energy. I'm not sure how everyone did in the standings, but congrats to all!

As for my group, there were 9, and one was a no show. Of course we did not know it until we were ready to go on, so that put me as going first. I would really like to encourage everyone to please call the event and let them know you are not going to be skating. This person has scratched before without notice, and it's really inconsiderate to the hosts and the other competitors. I'm glad I went, despite the injury. It was a good chance to try my program for the first time out with an encouraging audience and well run event. I finished my costume the night before, and I think it worked out well, and I might try painting other costumes. Mika - thanks again for the skirt - it got painted and had a great time!

I skated ok, but not near my best. Unlike the warm up - I couldn't get the flying cammel from the new entrance - a counter, so threw in another spin that was pretty weak. Up to that point I thought it went well, so I'll keep working on that spin. Overall I ended up second.
Hope to hear from others!
Congrats to all again!

LoopLoop
02-04-2003, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the nice words, flo! I was really unhappy with how I skated my freestyle; my knees just turned to stone and I couldn't bend them! So I was really slow and made more mistakes than I've ever made in competition before. On the other hand, I did present/perform more than I've ever done too. Even made eye contact with the judges for the first time. Oh well.

I decided that night that I'm not going to skate that program ever again. I was planning on competing at CRC next month, but instead I'll be working on putting together a new program.

It was great getting to meet flo, dani, skaternum, and jenlyon, who ran herself ragged both competing and volunteering. And thanks to flo for teaching a friend and I some lifts!

P.S. Flo's costume looked great!

skaternum
02-04-2003, 03:06 PM
Yeah, I'm almost recovered too! It was a blast! The competition was very well run and, from my perspective, went very smoothly. jenlyon60 did a fabu job with the hospitality for judges and the wine & cheese party for the skaters. I'm sure she and the others who ran the thing are still unconscious, of course. :D

Thanks for the kind words about me and the partner, flo. We've only been skating together about 4 months, and I realized just this weekend that he hadn't competed a freestyle program in about a DECADE. So all things considered, we were okay with how we did. Maybe next time, looploop and her new partner will be in the pairs event too. We'll keep our fingers crossed that you find a partner too, flo!

And speaking of Flo, her program was just wonderful, and I agree that her costume was beautiful. I got to see it close-up and on the ice -- it looks great.

I didn't get to see looploop's freestyle, but my spies tell me it wasn't as bad as she's making it out. :P

dani skated some highs and lows on Saturday, but kicked butt on Sunday. Medals are nice, but it feels really good when you skate your best! Dani got both.

I think this is a really well run competition, and I'm sure it'll continue to grow. We already have a couple of other skaters at my rink talking about going next year!

flo
02-04-2003, 03:25 PM
Thanks loops and skaternum! Keep your eyes out for that partner!! ;) It was fun to do the lifts, and you two really have a feeling for them. You both should consider the Chesapeake Open in the summer. It would be nice to have two new teams there.
Take care, and also thanks to Jenylon for a great event. :D

Skatewind
02-06-2003, 09:46 AM
It was great seeing all the adult skaters enjoying themselves at this event!

And how about that exhibition program by Robert Nelson?? :D

dani
02-06-2003, 10:42 AM
I need to jump in also!!

First of all, thanks to Jenlyon first and foremost for everything she did for me personally while I was there!! Also, thanks to her for a well run and fun event! I really had fun hanging out and skating with you!

Second, thanks go to skaternum for taking me under her wing and helping me out and giving me rides and being inspirational with her pairs experience!

I also really enjoyed meeing looploop and having dinner. I can't wait to see your double loop on the ice! ;-)

I guess I should summarize by saying that once again I had a wonderful competition and really enjoyed seeing friends again and meeting new ones!

Hugs!!
Danielle

ps) Best of all, I get to see Flutzilla and Ice T this weekend!! ;-)

flo
02-06-2003, 11:21 AM
Hi,
Did anyone see the silver ladies II on Sunday? If so, what were your impressions? It was great to meet everyone. Does anyone know of any events before Nationals??

dcden
02-06-2003, 11:52 AM
2nd question first...
I'm competing at SC of New York's Winter Classic on Feb 15th. They are taking late applications. Call Peter Eurich at 212 876 0943 for more info.

SC of Central New York (Syracuse) is hosting Adult Eastern Sectionals. They also have open events in addition to the Championship (qualifying) events. I don't know if they're taking late applications.

A number of skaters I've talked to said they were doing the CRC competition in Annapolis.

As for Silver Ladies II, the results were close for 1st and 2nd, though I would agree with the placement. 1st place had an overall strong skate, good speed and presentation. There was a wobbly combo spin at the beginning and a few shaky landings but nothing too serious. Either the 2nd or 3rd place athlete (can't remember, wore a black dress) had solid jumps and overall technique but was a little slower than the rest. She deserved to place high though.

skaternum
02-06-2003, 12:37 PM
flo, I think the N. American Adult Invitational in Wyandotte, MI is combined with their adult sectionals this year, so it should have the full range of adult events. It's March 1-2. Not sure about deadlines. Start here:

http://ic.net/~burgoyne/wyandot/wyandot.htm

flo
02-06-2003, 01:18 PM
Thanks,
I believe the Wyandotte deadline was Jan 15th. I'm not sure if the Adult invitational was different, or actually how these events are being combined. I may check out the one in New York. I looked at CRC, but did not see an interpretive event. Thanks for the information!

blue111moon
02-06-2003, 01:59 PM
The Worcester (MA) Open - April 4 - 6 - has adult events including interpretive (called showcase in the ap) and compulsory moves. Deadline for entries is Feb. 22.

I know they've had a request to include Young Adult events as well.

Terri C
02-06-2003, 07:06 PM
DcDen,
Thanks for the head up concerning CRC! I'm glad to hear other adults are doing this competition! Terri C

Mrs Redboots
02-09-2003, 10:44 AM
My Friend Bill has just posted some photos from this event here (http://ic.net/~burgoyne/ice/fsc.htm); I think there is at least one photo of 3 skaters from this forum!

jazzpants
02-09-2003, 12:49 PM
Thanks for posting the link, Annabel! :D

Oh, MY... as soon as I like on that link, I get this Adults Nationals 2002 pictures... with "MK" gracing the cover... :lol: Oh, man!!! I can't believe this man is my coach... :lol: :P :oops:

Congrats to all you guys out there!!! You guys definitely looked like you're having fun out there... Skaternum, you need to take the "faux" out of the pairs. :lol: :P

skaternum
02-09-2003, 05:17 PM
Yikes! It never occurred to me that Bill would post those. I should have known -- he always does. At least he got us in our "stupid" shirts!

And I've spotted 5 of us so far: jenlyon60, flo, dani, looploop, and me.

Jazzpants, I believe we're going to keep the "faux" in our title for a little while longer. How about at least until he can keep me locked overhead on the ice?? Off the ice, it's okay. On the ice ... well, that's another matter. :lol:

jenlyon60
02-09-2003, 05:45 PM
I liked your "stupid" shirts. I thought they were fun 8-)

jazzpants
02-09-2003, 08:32 PM
Yikes! It never occurred to me that Bill would post those. I should have known -- he always does. At least he got us in our "stupid" shirts!

And I've spotted 5 of us so far: jenlyon60, flo, dani, looploop, and me.

Jazzpants, I believe we're going to keep the "faux" in our title for a little while longer. How about at least until he can keep me locked overhead on the ice?? Off the ice, it's okay. On the ice ... well, that's another matter. :lol:

First thing... I LOVE the "stupid" shirts!!! :lol: I want one too!!! :P

Which one is looploop? I know her real name but I don't see it on the webpage so I don't know which one's her. (PM me pls, skaternum or looploop, if you don't people to know which one's you.) :) I see everyone else.

Alright! You can keep your "faux" title for a bit longer... but as soon as he's able to pick you up overhead on the ice, the "faux" title goes... Deal??? ;) :P

singerskates
02-09-2003, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by figuristka
Are members that belong to a Canadian club, allowed to enter the USFSA Adult competitons?

Check the Skate Canada website in the events link and the click on adult events. If an event you wish to enter is not listed, then find the member services email address on Skate Canada's website to ask them to sanction the event. They will send your a sanctioning form in your email, which you can email on to the competition registar, who will decide whether or not they wish to comply. I did this with the Ann Arbor Spring Skate and now it is listed on the Adult Events list at Skate Canada.

Brigitte

skaternum
02-10-2003, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by jazzpants
First thing... I LOVE the "stupid" shirts!!! :lol: I want one too!!! :P

Alright! You can keep your "faux" title for a bit longer... but as soon as he's able to pick you up overhead on the ice, the "faux" title goes... Deal??? ;) :P

Glad the stupid shirts are so popular. There's a little history to them, of course. In December, I'd jokingly threatened to wear an "I'm With Stupid" t-shirt for a lesson. So I actually managed to get two surprises in on my partner: (1) I actually made t-shirts, and (2) his was the one that said "I'm With Stupid!" He even gave me a great set up for giving it to him. Friday afternoon he asked me, "Is there anything in particular you want me to wear to practice ice?" What a set up! :P

Okay, it's a deal. We get to stay "faux" until he can keep me locked overhead for a full rotation on the ice. Are those terms acceptable? ;)

flo
02-10-2003, 09:34 AM
Hi,
I'm there in my starting position and identified as Judy, and on the podium as me.
Great photos!

dcden
02-10-2003, 10:40 AM
Oh my I look like such a drama queen in one of those pics... it looks like I was watching someone fall at the exact moment the pic was taken, judging from the expression of Mary Jean in the background.

I took some pictures of the podium awards on Sunday... I still haven't finished the roll of film, but probably will after this weekend. I'll send the pics to Bill when I get them developed.

skaternum
02-10-2003, 03:38 PM
dcden, Bill really owes you big time now! First he hits you in the ... uh ... southern territories ... during the medal ceremony, then he puts up the drama queen picture. He must have it in for you! :P

Maybe I should send a pic or two to Bill too. I have a couple of good "lobby shots."

jazzpants
02-10-2003, 04:05 PM
Glad the stupid shirts are so popular. There's a little history to them, of course. In December, I'd jokingly threatened to wear an "I'm With Stupid" t-shirt for a lesson. So I actually managed to get two surprises in on my partner: (1) I actually made t-shirts, and (2) his was the one that said "I'm With Stupid!" He even gave me a great set up for giving it to him. Friday afternoon he asked me, "Is there anything in particular you want me to wear to practice ice?" What a set up! :P

Okay, it's a deal. We get to stay "faux" until he can keep me locked overhead for a full rotation on the ice. Are those terms acceptable? ;) LOL!!!! Nice setup!!! :lol:

DEAL on the "faux" pair conditions... so start practicing going overhead on the ice for a full rotation on the ice. ;) :P (BTW: since you guys are a "faux" pair, does this mean that David's your "faux" partner???) :lol:

skaternum
02-10-2003, 05:37 PM
Oh, yes. Our coach calls us to the boards to start our lesson by yelling out, "Where's my faux pair?" So we call him a "faux coach!"