View Full Version : Boots!!!!

nutty-ducky
12-12-2002, 01:48 PM
does anyone here use RF2 boots, and could you please tell me if they are good as i am planning on getting a pair. thanks

melanieuk
12-13-2002, 02:46 PM
I've never worn Risports.
I've heard quite a lot of negative things about them, although millions of skaters use them, so they can't be that bad.
I have Klingbeils. :P

What boots do you have now? RF1?

nutty-ducky
12-14-2002, 03:58 AM
Originally posted by melanieuk
I've never worn Risports.
I've heard quite a lot of negative things about them, although millions of skaters use them, so they can't be that bad.
I have Klingbeils. :P

What boots do you have now? RF1?

at the moment i am using belati boots and john wilson :wilson excel blades. i find that the belati boots are a bit big for my feet. my mum bought them a bit bigger coz she thought my feet would grow and i dont think they have! :D
i have another question, what is the difference between plastic soles and leather soles?

icenut84
12-14-2002, 03:01 PM
I may be being a bit dim here but what are "RF1" and "RF2" boots? Are they just one of the Risport models? I have Risport Etoiles. What kind of negative things have you heard, Mel? They're fine for me - a lot better than my old skates. I had exactly the same ones as you, nutty-ducky - Belati ("Classic") boots and Wilson Excel blades. Now I'm in Risport boots and Coronation Ace blades, and they're much better (for me, anyway). The fit on my Belati boots wasn't very good, and the blades apparently aren't very good for things like spinning. I've noticed a big difference with my new skates anyway, in a good way (even though I have to use 2 insoles in one boot). Why do you want new boots? Are your current ones old/past it/not fitting? Also, what recommendations has your coach made? (Mine recommended Risport)

nutty-ducky
12-15-2002, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by icenut84
I may be being a bit dim here but what are "RF1" and "RF2" boots? Are they just one of the Risport models? I have Risport Etoiles. What kind of negative things have you heard, Mel? They're fine for me - a lot better than my old skates. I had exactly the same ones as you, nutty-ducky - Belati ("Classic") boots and Wilson Excel blades. Now I'm in Risport boots and Coronation Ace blades, and they're much better (for me, anyway). The fit on my Belati boots wasn't very good, and the blades apparently aren't very good for things like spinning. I've noticed a big difference with my new skates anyway, in a good way (even though I have to use 2 insoles in one boot). Why do you want new boots? Are your current ones old/past it/not fitting? Also, what recommendations has your coach made? (Mine recommended Risport)

hi icenut!
my belati boots are feeling a bit big for my feet and my coacj told me that if i got new boots it would help with my jumps alot. my coach said he thought that the RF2 boots would be good for me but i dont know why.
oh and RF1 and RF2 boots are risport boots but just different sorts of boots

icenut84
12-16-2002, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by nutty-ducky
my belati boots are feeling a bit big for my feet and my coacj told me that if i got new boots it would help with my jumps alot. my coach said he thought that the RF2 boots would be good for me but i dont know why.

Well, all the makes of boots (Belati, Risport, Harlick, SPTeri, Klingbeil etc) are different, and I believe each make is based on a certain foot type, ie the model they use to build the boot on, or something like that. That's why you get people saying they have the perfect Harlick foot, or SPTeri boots suit them best, etc. I think the shape of Belati boots is kind of wide, or something like that, so maybe that's why yours are a little big (same for me). I got them because they were the only make in the shop that was within my price range, lol. I have Risports now, my coach recommended them (the shop at my rink sells Risport, though they also sell Belati and Graf I think). I'd love to get a professional to measure my feet and tell me exactly which make and model is the best for me. All I do know is that Risports suit my feet more than the Belati ones I had.
About helping with the jumps, it might be simply because the new boots would be a better fit. Before I got new ones, it really hurt to do a toe loop because my heel moved when I picked in. One time I was about to do one and my whole foot actually moved in the boot so I had to suddenly stop. Better fitting boots will give you a lot more control.

max
12-16-2002, 07:33 AM
RF1 is equivalent to a Risport Quazar, An RF2 is equivalent to a Risport Super Diamonte and an RF3 is equivalent to the Super Crystallo. The numbers go in reverse RF1 is the most advanced model.

There have been problems with the Risports due to their redesign and many people who had been wearing them for years have struggled with breaking in the new boots, causing quite a lot of swellings round the ankle. They have a solid plastic disc at the ankle. The above problems don't seem to occur with the Lasers.

I understand, however, that Risport have looked at the design again and have made some alterations however most of the skaters in our club have lost confidence in Risport and are looking at alternatives.

As an example, my daughter who has RF3's, is an Inter Gold skater, landing double lutz has had her skates for 2 years, skates 5/6 times a week and there is not a crease to be seen in them.

My younger daughter who usually destroys boots within months, could not break them in but suffered from very bad lumps and open wounds around the ankle area and I have moved her to Graf Richmond.

Personally, I would think the RF2 would definitely be too stiff for you after Belati. If your coach wants you to go with Risport, try the RF3
first.

Hope this helps.

nutty-ducky
12-16-2002, 12:48 PM
max, i have actually spoken to a person who sells skates and he did say that the RF2 boots were hard to break in, and risport were bring out new RF2 boots this week. they are bringing out new ones which are going to be softer as the old RF2 boots were apparently very hard for people to break in.
icenut, i know what you mean when you say that the belati boots felt very wide, i find that. sometimes when i do jumps i end up landing on the inside edge! 8O that shows how big the boots can be!

max
12-17-2002, 02:55 AM
risport were bring out new RF2 boots this week

Yes, I had heard that they were redesigning again. The only problem is that some distributors and retailers will still have stock of the original RF2 so it may be some time before the new ones filter onto the market.

nutty-ducky
12-17-2002, 10:51 AM
max, the person who i am goint to be getting my boots from said that the old RF2 boots are not going to gbe sold anymore

Blue Line
12-17-2002, 11:57 AM
I have Risport Super Quasars (which Max so kindly told us is equivalent to an R1), and I love them. I, like Mel, have heard a lot of bad things about them, but haven't had a problem yet. While I'm still not fully broken into them yet, there hasn't been any excruciating pain/lack of circulation/swelling/bruising/bleeding/necessary surgical correction as a result of them.

If you have any questions, I'll try to answer them for you, but I'm not sure how helpful I'll be, as I'm not wearing the boots that you're considering.

nutty-ducky
12-18-2002, 11:00 AM
thanks blue line! :D

nutty-ducky
12-21-2002, 03:44 PM
YAY! i have my new boots but i havent got the blades yet. its soooo cool! originally i thought i was a size 5, but the fitter measured my feet and told me i was a size 2 and a half! 8O i was soooo surprised! no wonder my skates felt a bit big! heheheh. anyway, i had to get them in a differnet make called risport super diamant. they feel really good, but also feel weird as i am not used to tight boots! but i cannot wait to try them out in the new year. i should be getting the new blades in the new yaer! oh can someone please tell me if they have risport super diamant, and how do they feel? thanks :D :D :D

CanAmSk8ter
12-21-2002, 04:54 PM
I have Super Diamantes, and I love them. The summer I broke in my first pair I was only skating like an hour a day and I had them broken in in less than two weeks without any blisters or punching-out. I was on my Bronze dances at the time, I think. Break-in time will vary depending on what you're working on and how often you skate, but I've never heard any of my friends complain about blisters or anything with Risports.

nutty-ducky
12-22-2002, 04:27 AM
well i skate 4 times a week, and about an hour and a half each time. so how long would you think it would take me to break them in? thanks :D

ginamarie
12-22-2002, 06:06 AM
I'm skating in RF1 Supers (I heard they stopped making this model) and it took me around a week of skating 4 to 6 hours everyday to break into them. So my guess is with the RF2's, it should take about 2 weeks up to a month for you to break into them...I may be wrong but hope that helps.:D

nutty-ducky
12-22-2002, 03:02 PM
thanks gina. i know someone who skates in the really hard discontinued RF2's and she skates so many times a week, and she hasn't even broken them it yet!8O

nutty-ducky
12-24-2002, 05:03 AM
i have decided tht i am going to bring back my boots as they feel very tight, and they are squishing my toes. i am probably going to get a size 3 - 3 1/2.

nutty-ducky
12-31-2002, 01:07 PM
hi! i am just making another enquiry about my risport super diamant boots. are risport boots for people with narrow or wide feet? my fitter told me that i have broad feet at the end.
thanks

CanAmSk8ter
12-31-2002, 11:27 PM
I have fairly wide feet with average-width heels, and the Risports are the only stock boots I've been able to wear- comfortably, anyway.

Also, you asked a few days ago how long it would take you to break them in based on how much you skate. As important as the amount you skate is what you do. A skater skating ten hours a week doing double axels is going to break skates in quicker than someone skating ten hours a week learning their first singles or doing only dance. I was working on my last two Bronze dances (Willow Waltz and Ten-Fox) when I had my first pair, and I was relearning my axel and doubles with my second pair.

Editied to add, how long have you been wearing the boots that you think are too tight? Boots always feel tight at first. When I got my first "good" skates, I wore a size six and a half or seven shoe and was sold size six Riedells. I thought I was going to die! It was two days of wearing them at home before I could even walk in them. But when I got my second pair of Riedells, guess what the guy said? "Ok, now that you're used to good skates we'll fit them exactly right and go with a five and a half this time."

I guess what I'm getting at is that skates aren't like shoes. If your fitter said you need two and a half, you probably do. Skates stretch, and when they're too big and your foot moves around it's very distracting, and can cause blisters when your foot rubs back and forth. Has your coach looked at your new skates yet? I would get a second opinion before changing them, because in a week or two they won't be nearly as painful as they are now. If there's another skate technician near you, maybe have him look at them too. Five to two and a half is a big difference, but I don't know UK shoe sizes so maybe it's not as much as it would be in the U.S. Hopefully another of our more experienced UK friends will have some suggestions.

nutty-ducky
01-01-2003, 04:27 AM
CanAmSk8ter, i have shown my boots to my coach and i told him that my toes in my right boot feel like they are being scrunched up, and he said that, that couldnt be right. i told him that i want to change them as i am 15 and i am not quite sure if i will grow anymore, so if i grow and have bigger boots i will have the growing space.
i havent actually worn these boots when i am skating but i have worn them off ice because i havent got the blades yet. but my toes feel like they are being pushed against the top of the boots even when i walk in them, so if they are like that when i am not on ice, what are they going to be like when i am on the ice?
thanks for your help! :D

sk8er1964
01-01-2003, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by nutty-ducky
but my toes feel like they are being pushed against the top of the boots even when i walk in them, so if they are like that when i am not on ice, what are they going to be like when i am on the ice?
thanks for your help! :D

We went to get my son a new pair of hockey skates because his toes were hitting the top of his skates and being squeezed. The skate fitter said that he was a 1/2 size up from the size he was wearing, and before getting new skates we should try stretching out the toe box. It worked for him, and I know when I got my new Klingbeils the fitter said we could stretch them out if needed because we decided to go with a narrower width than recommended in the sizing chart. It might work for you with your figure skates, so maybe you should talk to your fitter about expanding the toe box.

nutty-ducky
01-02-2003, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by sk8er1964
We went to get my son a new pair of hockey skates because his toes were hitting the top of his skates and being squeezed. The skate fitter said that he was a 1/2 size up from the size he was wearing, and before getting new skates we should try stretching out the toe box. It worked for him, and I know when I got my new Klingbeils the fitter said we could stretch them out if needed because we decided to go with a narrower width than recommended in the sizing chart. It might work for you with your figure skates, so maybe you should talk to your fitter about expanding the toe box.

i think that my fitter did actually stretch out the toe box, but i think he did it as much as he could, and it still feels like my toes are still being squished :( . i am going to get a size bigger because i think that my feet might just grow a bit more and then i will have some space, and i dont want to keep a pair of boots that feel like my toes are being squished and then after a couple of months have to go out and buy a new pair!