View Full Version : Time for a New Poll!

melanieuk
12-12-2002, 08:52 AM
What is your most scary OR frustrating skating element or move?
You can have multiple responses.

I purposefully did not put backspin in, as it has emotionally traumatised me this week, and does not deserve a mention in my poll!!!!
:D

sk8er1964
12-12-2002, 09:06 AM
I'm working on double jumps, but the :evil: single lutz :evil: still gives me fits!

RoaringSkates
12-12-2002, 09:12 AM
My most frustrating is the waltz jump, because I still can't quite get it. I'm almost there, but it's taking forever.

My scariest is the salchow. I'm too chicken to actually move across the ice while I'm doing this jump, so I end up jumping, but staying in one place. My salchow, therefore, is tinytiny.

melanieuk
12-12-2002, 09:15 AM
((( RoaringSkates )))
Once you get the waltz with flow, the salchow will follow. It just takes a while to gain the confidence.

My scariest is the :twisted: axel:twisted: , followed closely by Back Outside 3 turns on the right foot with mohawks in a circle.

My most frustrating element is in the OTHER choice - it's the :evil: backspin! :evil:

icenut84
12-12-2002, 10:17 AM
Out of those, I was tempted to put the loop, but it's not that bad and at least I can land it sometimes. It just needs practice. I know it's coming.

My most frustrating move isn't on your list - a basic forward upright spin! It's frustrating because everyone else gets it so easily and it's taken me SO long, and even now it's not consistent. I don't think I've ever got more than about 6 revs in a spin, and it's usually about 3 if I'm lucky. It has been improving recently though. Will have to see if I've still got it when I get back on the ice - I'm half way through a not-welcomed 3-weeks of no skating. :( It likes to drive me mad though, and usually succeeds. Sometimes I get it, sometimes I can't do it at all. Hmph.

jazzpants
12-12-2002, 10:27 AM
Mel, if you put in the backspin, I'll bet you'll get a LOT of response on this poll! :P

Backspin is #1 on my list... followed by loop (for the inconsistencies), mohawks/3turns (since I've been working on moves for a while but moving at a snail's pace on them), then camels!!!

Mrs Redboots
12-12-2002, 11:23 AM
I voted for Mohawks, as the most frustrating at the moment. I find 3-turns at speed very scary, especially when skating on my own. But I can't control my Mohawks, and it's driving me mad.

dani
12-12-2002, 11:30 AM
I agree with the upright spin!! I can rattle off 12 revs with ease but I will have travelled 8 or 9 feet!! :-(

As for the Waltz, RoaringSkates, when you finally get to where you can flow into a waltz and fly, it is the coolest feeling! I love doing waltz jumps that are HUGE. Keep at it!

Hugs!
Danielle

MissIndigo
12-12-2002, 12:36 PM
My votes went to the loop jump and the sit spin, although they are both improving.

I don't get it...why oh why am I more comfortable with spins that are harder than the sit (i.e., camels, laybacks, and even a small flying camel)?????

I don't like the loop takeoff--it's scary for me. Even scarier than the axel takeoff.

(Hey Dani...want to borrow my upright scratch spin for a while??? It's usually 15+ revs in its own rut!)

dani
12-12-2002, 12:55 PM
Please MissIndigo, and I will loan you my Loop!! My loop is HUGE! ;-)

I had one spin the other night that was perfectly centered and it was amazing. It was during a public and I am serious, all of the sudden things seemed in slow motion with the lights spinning around and the feeling that I was all alone on the ice. It felt like a movie! If course nothing since then. I am hoping my new skates help - I am supposed to have my SPTeri Super Deluxes tomorrow, I just hope they fit.

Hugs!
Danielle

MissIndigo
12-12-2002, 01:30 PM
LOL! I'll take it! Maybe we ought to make a "grafted skater"...my spins, your jumps? Think of the possibilities!:lol:

quarkiki2
12-12-2002, 01:46 PM
Well, the only things I've done on this poll are 3-turns, mohawks, and I've tried toe loops and waltz jumps at the board (so I won't count those, LOL!).

I can do the only mohawks I've been shown, the forward inside and backwards outside in the ISI Gamma test.

I can't do the three turns. FO or FI. Both are similar in that I do the turn and drop my hip and my foot immediately after the turn. But I'll be working on that tonight! Any suggestions?

JDC1
12-12-2002, 02:29 PM
I picked the loop even though I have recently seen some improvement on the jump. I fell on my right knee so often and when I didn't fall I couldn't get up off of the ice it was pathetic!!

quarkiki2 - hmm. All I can say is to also check your hips and make sure you're not opening them. I recall from past posts that you are flexible (as am I) and many of my problems with spins and other moves have been that my hips open so I focus on keeping my hips closed and my butt and my tummy tight. I still drop my hip sometimes, particularly in the backspin attempts, and I just have to focus hard on keeping my hips up and "closed".

quarkiki2
12-12-2002, 02:44 PM
JDC1 -- I bet that's it. It's natural for me to keep my free leg turned out and, though I think it looks nicer than a not-turned out leg, it's not always helpful. I think I may also be turning out my skating leg, as well, through the turn. Grrr!!

Ok. That helps, though. Thanks a million!

figuristka
12-12-2002, 08:55 PM
I picked mohawks. This because i have fallen hard on the "fourteenstep" mohawk and it always makes me cautious now. The other mohawks i haven't found i had a problem with. I would also say the single Axel is scary. Up to a single lutz , the jumps are not fearful at all.

fan
12-13-2002, 12:17 PM
i agree with you icenut 84! i have a pretty good camel, awesome sit and layback is getting there, but i can not do a forward upright spin - it just didn't click. not so many problems with the backspin, though. i guess everyone's different.

axel's no fun :cry:

kayskate
12-13-2002, 02:08 PM
I voted for axel and other.
I actually do not work on the axel anymore b/c it became too frustrating and physically painful. Someday I may go back to it.

My "other" is the traveling camel (intentionally traveling). This is really hard to do and I rarely work on them. I have tripped myself many times.

Kay

CanAmSk8ter
12-13-2002, 10:05 PM
I said axel, even though I no longer do freestyle, because I never had a very good one. Even when I had a pretty consistant double sal and double flip and some days a double loop, my axel was usually cheated either on the takeoff or the landing.

Now, I think my scariest thing is the Kilian. I'm fine until I get to that choctaw. I can do by itself- usually- and occasionally I hit it just right in a pattern, but I can't do more than two patterns of the dance yet, and full patterns are usually pretty bad. It's definitely coming though. I did pretty well with it this afternoon.

singerskates
12-13-2002, 10:48 PM
the most frustrating thing for me right now is the salchow. I could do it before I had surgery but now I don't have the strength and I've got my timing off. Before surgery I was wipping off salchow/toe loop combos.

another frustraing thing is the backspin. I get one rotation and then I either fall out or somehow, I end up changing feet and doing the other 3 rotations on my left foot doing a forward spin. LOL

Not enough strength to do a sit yet either. Maybe after Christmas holidays.

I'm not scared to do anything on ice anymore, so it's just plain frustration now. LOL

Brigitte

Lili
12-14-2002, 11:36 PM
The most frustrating thing for me used to be double toes, but now thinking about it I would have to say that FOOTWORK makes me crazy. I simply cannot do any type of footwork. Three turns, great! Brackets, wonderful! Rockers, good! Put them all together? I think not. ;)