12-11-2002, 04:32 PM
are there any?

Madame Saccoche
12-11-2002, 04:48 PM
Nope, none.

arena_gal
12-11-2002, 05:45 PM
all gone.

There's Adult competition requirements but all they've done is put the word "Adult" in front of their already existing requirements for all skaters. To Skate Canada, Adults are just another age grouping for flights Here's a facetious example (you'd never see so many adults entered to have to have age groupings)..

Preliminary 6 & under
Preliminary 7 & 8
Preliminary 9 & 10
Preliminary 11 & over
Preliminary 18 - 24
Preliminary 25 - 35
Preliminary 36 - 45
Preliminary 46 - 55
Preliminary 56 & over

Repeat for each test level

Lee
12-11-2002, 10:01 PM
The Adult Commission of SC is working on developing a set of Adult tests, but as with all program development, things take time. Some of the people involved in the Adult test development are probably the same ones who were involved in the revamping of the StarSkate (former 'test') program. Considering how relatively new adult skating is in Canada, things 'are' moving -- albeit not as quickly as some would like. Patience is the key, I guess...

figuristka
12-12-2002, 08:40 PM
I hope they do make Adult tests in the future. I know i want to go back and do tests i never did years ago as i want to be a Skate Canada, Canskate professional coach. It would be nice if there were Adult test we could do towards coaching at the beginner level too, as well as for competitions.

arena_gal
12-15-2002, 10:23 AM
Adults competing is sort of an undercurrent at our club. We have a lot of former figure skaters, men and women, and every so often we think, oh sure lets put on the skates and do a program. The biggest problem is that some of these parents have passed high level tests in the past, 20 years ago, and in no way have that level of skill anymore.

Ahem, Skate Canada isn't so good at having the old records, we know this from trying to research skating qualifications for an adult who was interested in coaching and who knew she had a certain test, Skate Canada had no records and her club no longer existed. So it was as she had never tested in her life. So, it's possible to lie a little bit and pretend that you'd never passed your Silver dance, and probably no one would know from your current level of skating, however, we are all fine upstanding citizens and would never deceive anyone.

So I'm wondering how Skate Canada would deal with that? I see that adult skating has two streams really, those that came late to the sport and for whom an axel would be a huge achievement and those that competed in the past and for whom an axel would also be a huge achievement, these days. Maybe if there was an age qualification, something like "gold freeskate AND more than 20 years out of the sport = Preliminary freeskate A" (Prelim A in WOS has jump restrictions)

I'm not a real fan of creating separate adult qualifications. I do find the USFSA version of "Adult" things to be immensely confusing. I would prefer that in Canada, the standard tests remain the same, however for example, for preliminary skills, if the skater is an adult, they have the option of doing arabesques on both waltzing 3's and waltzing mowhawks, instead of having to do arabesques on one test and spirals on the other. Age does have some privileges.

Imo
12-15-2002, 11:11 AM
I'm another one who doesn't really see the need for seperate Adult tests (except maybe an Intro level before Prelim) as long as the judges recognize that adult testers at a level won't look the same as kids at that level.

Why not just make the competitions skill specific (rather than test specific) - so it doesn't matter what test you've passed (either recently or in a past skating life). So, for example, you could have a "No higher than loop" event, a "No Axel or doubles" event and an Open event.

sk8er1964
12-16-2002, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by arena_gal
So, it's possible to lie a little bit and pretend that you'd never passed your Silver dance, and probably no one would know from your current level of skating, however, we are all fine upstanding citizens and would never deceive anyone.

The USFSA adult track has this flaw. If you passed ISI tests (it's a different skating organization here), you are required to skate at certain USFSA adult levels depending on what you passed as a kid. But the USFSA has no idea what ISI tests a skater might have taken. So, for example, in my case it was the honor system - I admitted what ISI tests I had taken :D and have tested to the appropriate level. I could have lied, but I wouldn't have felt right about that.

lizzz
12-16-2002, 04:43 PM
I don't know how I feel about an adult test tract. I'd hate for it to be too watered down compared to the kids. I learned to skate with kids and not adults. I also compete in kid competitions since there are very few adult ones. I want to feel the same feeling of accomplishment without having people say,"It was easier since it was an adult test". That would annoy me alot since I think that it is harder in many ways. but as Lee says, this will take a long time before Skate Canada moves to do anything so I'll just keep doing what I am doing!

Liz

:D

fan
12-17-2002, 12:31 PM
how old do you have to be to be considered an adult (eg for the skills variations) ? 25+ ?

sk8er1964
12-17-2002, 12:34 PM
In the States it's 25+, but some competitions have young adult events for 18-24 year olds.