View Full Version : Why is it that...

flippet
05-30-2002, 05:17 PM
ok, this is gross, but, why is it that you can sniff and sniff, or go blow your nose, and there's nothing really forthcoming, but go into a spin, and suddenly you're flinging snot everywhere?? 8O

Sigh....the crosses we skaters have to bear!

Figureskates
05-30-2002, 05:24 PM
a switch on the toepick that as son as you spin, opens the snot valve....

Added feature, I get nosebleeds, I mean car wreck nosebleeds. I was practicing my spins when one of these puppies let loose.....lucky I am a good friend of the Zamboni driver!!

Trif Fan
05-30-2002, 05:42 PM
:lol: No kidding! Or when you land a jump!

Kelli
05-30-2002, 06:46 PM
[quote:486c559a7b="Figureskates"]a switch on the toepick that as son as you spin, opens the snot valve....

Added feature, I get nosebleeds, I mean car wreck nosebleeds. I was practicing my spins when one of these puppies let loose.....lucky I am a good friend of the Zamboni driver!![/quote:486c559a7b]

ew, EW, [size=18:486c559a7b][/size:486c559a7b]EW![size=12:486c559a7b][/size:486c559a7b] Remind me never to skate anywhere near you ever again!

Figureskates
05-30-2002, 06:52 PM
Kelli:

This happened mostly the year before. For some reason I have been very, very lucky this year!!!!

Mrs Redboots
05-31-2002, 09:54 AM
I don't yet spin fast enough for this to be a problem, but one friend has perfected a method whereby she exits her spin, at the same time wiping the back of her hand gracefully across her nose...... :P

backspin
06-03-2002, 03:42 PM
Anybody ever fall really REALLY hard on their butt & have a bit of an "accident?" Only happened to me once or twice, but yikes! Just call me Puddles.... :oops:

Mariposa
06-03-2002, 07:11 PM
ok, this is gross, but, why is it that you can sniff and sniff, or go blow your nose, and there's nothing really forthcoming, but go into a spin, and suddenly you're flinging snot everywhere?? 8O

Not just flinging, but have you ever had one that just hangs there in suspended animation for the duration of your spin?

eeeeeeeeeeeew. I hate it when that happens.

Mel On Ice
06-03-2002, 10:41 PM
I luckily don't get snotty nose, but the humidity in the rink gives me a nice afro.

Elsy2
06-10-2002, 12:39 PM
This thread cracked me up today, hee, hee.....I was watching my daughter at competition going through her lovely program, then all of a sudden I see her wipe her nose with the back of her hand right in front of the judges! It was a huge swipe that you just couldn't miss. She was terribly embarassed that she did this, but her coach and I were just cracking up!

TashaKat
06-10-2002, 01:49 PM
[quote:968175c75a="flippet"]ok, this is gross, but, why is it that you can sniff and sniff, or go blow your nose, and there's nothing really forthcoming, but go into a spin, and suddenly you're flinging snot everywhere?? 8O

Sigh....the crosses we skaters have to bear![/quote:968175c75a]

LOL, and don't you find that the sit spin is THE worst spin ...... the kids that I skate with often call it the 'snot spin' ..... and what about when you can actually SEE the string of snot circling around you like a lasso? :twisted:

Hee hee ......

L x

db
06-10-2002, 11:00 PM
My daughter has been miserable with a sore throat and congestion for the past week. Today she finally felt somewhat better, and found that a nice, fast scratch spin worked wonders for her sinuses :roll: She asked for a tissue, held it to her nose, and did another one to really clear herself up :lol:

Ice T
06-11-2002, 08:11 AM
My standard equipment for a practice session: music tape, water bottle, and full package of tissues! :)

melanieuk
06-11-2002, 02:51 PM
I wonder why it's the sit spin that produces the most flying snot? 8O

icenut84
06-11-2002, 04:02 PM
LOL! I also don't do the spins where this has been a problem yet, but EW! :mrgreen:
(BTW - flippet, I love your siggie! One question - huh? ;) )

flippet
06-11-2002, 04:24 PM
[quote:dbdbdf806b="icenut84"]
(BTW - flippet, I love your siggie! One question - huh? ;) )[/quote:dbdbdf806b]

What, you don't get it? ;)

It's half of a line from my favorite TV show, Sports Night, written by Aaron Sorkin. The guys are discussing their day:

Casey: I gather it went well?
Dan: You know, sometimes it's worth it, taking all the pies in the face -- sometimes you come through it feeling good.
Casey: Yes.
Dan: And how was your day?
Casey: Sometimes you just stand there, hip deep in pie.

I just love that quote....some days, it says it all! ;)

Trif Fan
06-11-2002, 07:11 PM
[quote:bf933df0c7="TashaKat"]

LOL, and don't you find that the sit spin is THE worst spin ...... the kids that I skate with often call it the 'snot spin' ..... and what about when you can actually SEE the string of snot circling around you like a lasso? :twisted:

Hee hee ......

L x[/quote:bf933df0c7]

:D Good thing I wasn't drinking anything! I'd have spewed all over my keyboard! :lol:

Mrs Redboots
06-12-2002, 11:23 AM
[quote:d849e0b997="db"]My daughter has been miserable with a sore throat and congestion for the past week. Today she finally felt somewhat better, and found that a nice, fast scratch spin worked wonders for her sinuses :roll: She asked for a tissue, held it to her nose, and did another one to really clear herself up :lol:[/quote:d849e0b997] :lol: Are we totally crazy, or only partially? Still, at least your daughter had a tissue with her - one of my coach's pupils invariably needs to "blow" half-way through her lesson, and never has a tissue, so has to rush to the ladies' to get some loo paper. I think she forgets on purpose to give herself a breather - it's not for nothing we call my coach "The Sadist" or "The Slave-driver"!

Hope your daughter is quite better now.

alexaandra
07-05-2004, 08:31 PM
I only do scratch spin so I don't have that problem , but I remember Kevin van der Perren in the 2002 olympics in salt lake long program in the kiss and cry had a very big white snot in the nose(it looked white in the tv)! anybody else saw that? at least he skated very well

NoVa Sk8r
07-05-2004, 08:39 PM
why is it that you can sniff and sniff, or go blow your nose, and there's nothing really forthcoming, but go into a spin, and suddenly you're flinging snot everywhere
Yes yes yes!

But, oh no ... just wait till Loops and I do the pair sit spin. We'll be dodging each other (more than normal). Just another reason not to learn this spin!

flippet
07-05-2004, 09:40 PM
Holy Cow!! 8O 8O 8O

Nothing like having a two-year-old thread pop back up out of the grave. No wonder I didn't recognize the title in the thread list! :lol:

NickiT
07-06-2004, 03:20 AM
LOL!!! Yep I have to say I suffer with this problem when I do a sit spin. Thing is I've been worse lately and my coach keeps asking if I'm suffering from hayfever. I'm not, it's just the dreaded snot spin syndrome!

Nicki

johnfisher
07-06-2004, 04:10 AM
With regards to the nosebleed thing, I went through a phase of getting nosebleeds on sitspins. Really pleasant for everyone as I splattered a circle of blood spots across the ice :roll: Anyway I went to see the doctor and it took all of about 10 seconds to cauterise (painlessly) the offending blood vessel and I have never had any problem since.

John

dani
07-06-2004, 06:15 AM
Holy Cow!! 8O 8O 8O

Nothing like having a two-year-old thread pop back up out of the grave. No wonder I didn't recognize the title in the thread list! :lol:

I didn't exactly remember the earlier thread, but I was thinking, This must be one of those threads that just comes around every so often ;-)

CanuckSk8r
07-06-2004, 08:52 AM
Sit spins definately are the worst!!! My friend mastered the art of snuffing it back in....... digusting, yet so much cleaner for those of us training around him!!!

PattyP
07-06-2004, 02:58 PM
LOL! It is so funny because it is so true!

I have mastered the sit-catch the snot string in your glove-change sit spin :oops:

TashaKat
07-06-2004, 03:28 PM
.......... and then there was the time when I was slowing down my sit spin because I could feel my nose going. From across the other side of the rink came the dulcet tones of Madame Coach "for ******* sake just CUFF IT!"

Chico
07-06-2004, 10:33 PM
I find that my nose runs the most during lessons. Figures eh? I think my "favorite" line is, "Excuse me, I need to blow my nose." =-/ It's hard to look beautiful when your nose is running down your face. My coach used to tell me to ignore it and look pretty. Yep, right.

Chico

mary
07-07-2004, 07:00 AM

That is so true. I have watched my child's skating tapes and you can actually see it "flinging" during a spin or whatever. Not my child of course, but others. Seriously. 8O

96.23??
07-07-2004, 04:53 PM
Added feature, I get nosebleeds, I mean car wreck nosebleeds. I was practicing my spins when one of these puppies let loose.....lucky I am a good friend of the Zamboni driver!!

This happened to me before , I was in a lesson and I didn't want to tell my coach because I didn't want to stop the lesson so by the end of the lesson there were little splats of blood in random spots on the ice.