View Full Version : Balance board opinions?

wannask8
12-10-2002, 08:40 PM
Has anyone used a balance board for off-ice training? If so, what type, and did you find it helpful? When I asked what I could do between practice sessions to keep up and improve my balance (I don’t get much ice time), my coach suggested a wobble board (or bongo board -- the kind that skiers use – looks like a skateboard and moves like a seesaw). I’ve seen circular types on the web as well.

BTW, coach also suggested standing on one foot as long as I could, but I can already do that 'til the cows come home as long as I'm on a stationary surface (apologies to Annabel, but I often practice this in church, discreetly!).

-- wannask8

Mrs Redboots
12-11-2002, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by wannask8
BTW, coach also suggested standing on one foot as long as I could, but I can already do that 'til the cows come home as long as I'm on a stationary surface (apologies to Annabel, but I often practice this in church, discreetly!). Oh, so do I! And so does Robert.... In fact, I first "grokked" Mohawks in Church, and had to remember where I was in a hurry (I wasn't actually preaching at the time, I hasten to add....) :oops:

flo
12-11-2002, 12:04 PM
When I was doing PT for my hip, I used one of the balance boards at the clinic, similar to the ones sold. My therapist is great at converting clinic excercises to at home ones (so they actually get done), and more specific for skating. She suggested I jump up and down on a garden/seat pad. The one she suggested was a circular one sent out free from allegra. She said the density and size was perfect. Unlike the balance board I could jump and get the muscles use to the balance needed on landing. I used it and it really helped, and I still get it out and jump on it (and simulate checking out of a landing) at the rink before I get on the ice.