View Full Version : help! Need tips for first time on ice

zhenya271
12-09-2002, 08:15 PM
Hi.
I'm going skating for the first time ever, I need advice! I've only rollerskated and rollerbladed and from I hear they don't even compare.
Please help, I don't want to look too foolish!

Elsy2
12-09-2002, 08:52 PM
I think you'll be just fine if you've rollerbladed and rollerskated before. While they aren't the same, you will already have some sense of how to balance during motion, so that's a plus. As for advice....well, I guess lace up those skates tightly, don't forget your gloves, and bring your feet together between strokes to maintain balance. Have fun!

KatieC
12-09-2002, 10:57 PM
I think you'll do just fine. Just take it easy and don't try anything too fancy. Go slow and avoid children. And, have lots of fun - cuz that's what skating is for :)

dbny
12-09-2002, 11:34 PM
Rollerblading gives you a definite advantage. I've seen lots of kids and even adults start ice skating for the first time after rollerblading, and they have all been able to get around pretty well, and much better than those who never skated at all. Go and have fun!

Tips:
As above, plus: Don't look down. Put your hands flat on an imaginary table in front of you at waist height, keeping your arms stretched out. By doing this, you minimize arm/shoulder movements that can throw you off balance. Bend your knees. If you start to lose your balance, bend deeply. Look in the mirror at home, bend your knees so they are over your toes. Get the same feeling on the ice.

melanieuk
12-10-2002, 06:25 AM
Some suggestions: :)

wear gloves
if you have skate guards, take them off!
If you have long hair, tie it back as it can be distracting blowing in your face!
step on to the ice with your toepick, then set your foot down
try not to tense up your body - you need to be relaxed in the knee
take your time, and get your balance before you glide off
don't lean backwards - keep your body weight slightly forward
don't wave your arms about - keep them out to side and slightly forward - and still!
try and get away from the barrier/boards. Most accidents happen near the boards!
have fun - catch the bug!

Roller blading, as people have said, would have helped you with the basics ie staying on your feet, the gliding motion, balance etc.
Good luck! :D

wannask8
12-10-2002, 07:51 PM
Tips from a recent beginner:
1. Don’t worry about looking foolish! There will likely be others around who are also first-timers or close to it, but even if there aren’t, everyone else out there once started out just like you (and not necessarily with prior roller experience).
2. BEND YOUR KNEES. This will help you balance.
3. If you start feeling frustrated or your feet (or anything else) get uncomfortable, take a short break (re-lace, have some water, whatever), then have another go at it.

Have fun, and let us know how it goes!

-- wannask8

zhenya271
12-10-2002, 08:12 PM
Thanks everyone for your help! I can't wait!

Andie
12-10-2002, 11:58 PM
What they said.

Also... apparently, those who know how to ice skate are supposed to be able to learn rollerblading easier, so it could be the other way around. :) Good luck!

I can ice skate, but when I tried rollerblading (before I learned ice skating), I was worse on the rollerblades.:oops:

what?meworry?
12-11-2002, 12:46 AM
i only read the first post and it stuck a chord. i, too, had only rollerskated as a teen (a long long time ago and very far away).

but! when i decided to ice skate if found that that it was actually easier!

the only problem i had was that i have also skied a lot and that created a fear of the "outside edge" in that if you catch an outside edge on snow you wipe out big time. on ice, you must embrace outside as well as inside edges!

rollerskating and ice skating are remarkably similar. except that rollerskating is more difficult. instead of putting pressure on the front right roller, you lean into the right outside edge of the blade. this is the equivalent of a "3-turn" for the right outside edge. i will admit, the inside-edge 3-turns are a lot harder. nonetheless, i found the transition from roller to blade really easy, and i think blades are easier.