View Full Version : Jumps & Spins

icenut84
12-09-2002, 05:37 AM
Is there anyone who knows the freestyle test structure (any of them) who can describe which jumps and spins are tested together? I mean, when you do a test that requires a loop, for example, what spin(s) does it also require? I'm just curious how these two elements progress together. Obviously some people are further in jumps, and some further in spins, but what is the general guideline? Is a person doing an axel also at the level of a layback? Or a flying spin? Or what?

Mrs Redboots
12-09-2002, 08:23 AM
I don't know very much about it, but I do know that in Level 1 - 3-jump and cherry flip (I think; possibly also a Salchow), you need a forward spin, in level 2 you need a change-foot spin and possibly a sit-spin and/or parallel spin. I know by level 5 you are wanting a flying camel and a sit-change-backsit, but I get lost in what jumps come where, and I am not sure when you start to need a death-drop or layback spin - quite late on, I think.

So yes, they do progress along with the jumps, and even where there isn't much difference between levels, you need to improve their quality and style, as you do with the height and speed of your jumps.

Elsy2
12-09-2002, 08:24 AM
On the regular track for USFSA, the loop jump is required at the Preliminary free skate test (the first test being Pre-preliminary). On the same test the spins required are a one foot upright, one foot backspin, and sitspin.

The axel shows up at the Juvenile free skating test (the 4th test), along with a layback or attitude spin for ladies and a camel spin for men. A flying camel is not tested until the Intermediate test, (the 5th test).

On the adult track, the loop is not required until the Silver test. The spin requirements on the silver test include a camel; a layback, attitude or sit spin; and a combination spin with only one change of position.

Hope that helps!

sk8er1964
12-09-2002, 09:08 AM
On the USFSA adult track, you may have the same spin requirements (i.e. two solo spins for both Silver and Gold), but they want more revolutions the higher the test.

twinkle
12-09-2002, 10:30 AM
These are the UK test levels, only including jumps and corresponding spins;

1. Two of 3jump, salchow, cherry, forward 1 foot spin 3 revs

2. 3jump, salchow or cherry, upright spin 5revs, sit spin 3revs, backspin 1-2revs

3. loop, flip, single-cherry combo, camel spin 3revs, backspin 3revs

4. lutz, axel, single-loop combo, camel2revs-sit2revs combo, change foot upright spin 4revs each foot

5. axel, 2salchow, lutz/flip in combination, flying camel 2-3revs, sit-back sit 4revs each foot, spin combo 1 change of position and 1 change foot 3revs each foot

6. 2toe, axel-2toe, single-single sequence, camel-back camel 3revs each foot, layback 5revs or crossfoot 6 revs

I don't have Level 7-10 requirements

IceAngel725
12-09-2002, 05:31 PM
just wondering, what's a cherry??? a half flip?

melanieuk
12-10-2002, 06:53 AM
A cherry or cherry-flip is the unfortunate name Britain(?) has given to the toe-loop.
I was learning to skate in 1978 and that's what they were called then. :)

icenut84
12-10-2002, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by twinkle
These are the UK test levels, only including jumps and corresponding spins;

1. Two of 3jump, salchow, cherry, forward 1 foot spin 3 revs

Thanks. :) I was curious where I am, because I've never formally tested or anything :( . I should be able to pass that test based on the jumps & spins (I can do all those things) - what else is on it?

twinkle
12-10-2002, 01:53 PM
Level 1 elements;

1. Simple perimeter stroking in both directions - this is basically forwards stroking down the side of the rink with crossovers around the ends both clockwise and anti-clockwise

2. Two jumps out of 3 jump, salchow and cherry flip

3. Upright spin, minimum 3 revs - the judges would expect this to be entered from back crossovers and about 5 revs would probably be safer

4. Forward and backward spirals held for a minimum of 10 metres

5. Simplle step sequence(width of rink) - probably including forward inside/outside 3 turns and/or mohawks in both directions

Free Skating, 1.5 min (+-10secs) programme including a minimum of Level 1 elements or higher

I'm not sure what this requirement for the free skating actually means, does this mean that all the level 1 elements must be included?
What is this supposed to mean in relation to the higher levels where it says level - elements or higher and then lists minimum requirements?

Mrs Redboots
12-10-2002, 04:31 PM
[

Free Skating, 1.5 min (+-10secs) programme including a minimum of Level 1 elements or higher

I'm not sure what this requirement for the free skating actually means, does this mean that all the level 1 elements must be included?
What is this supposed to mean in relation to the higher levels where it says level - elements or higher and then lists minimum requirements? [/B] You have to include all the Level I elements, but as most people are skating at a much higher level than that before they test, they don't mind if you include higher-level jumps and spins - you don't have to dumb down your programme to take the test. As far as I can tell, the judges ignore unneeded elements unless they make you mess up the whole thing.

twinkle
12-11-2002, 04:37 AM
But in tests where there is also a list of minimum elements, eg. level 3, does that mean that you have to include all of the level 3 elements or just the minimum requirements listed?

Mrs Redboots
12-11-2002, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by twinkle
But in tests where there is also a list of minimum elements, eg. level 3, does that mean that you have to include all of the level 3 elements or just the minimum requirements listed? As far as I know - and don't rely on me, I'm no expert - as far as I know, you have to include all the level 3 elements on your level 3 free-skating test. But check with your coach.