View Full Version : crossing leg in jumps....argh!!!

lizzz
12-08-2002, 09:00 PM
ok, is it just me or do others have this silly problem. I can't keep my leg tightly crossed in a jump. More specifically durning a waltzjump/ backspin. I'm suppossed to land with my ankles crossed and spinning. all that is no problem but I can't keep my ankles crossed. It must a be an adult safety mechanism, or it's just my quirk. This is driving me nuts because I have little chance of pulling in in the air and getting an axel out of this wildly rotating body.
any suggestions? I try just doing a backspin, pulling in and jumping to mimic that darn pulled- in feeling. I can do that but I still land with my foot out and ready to catch myself!!
I'm thinking forget the ankles and slowly work my way down, like just cross at the knees...lol I need to psyche myself out here obviously..
help!!!!:twisted:

melanieuk
12-09-2002, 10:16 AM
Nobody could do a waltz jump with tightly crossed feet. A waltz jump is open.......always.
It's only half a turn.
You can keep your free foot in front of the landing leg though - then snap into the backspin position to simulate the axel.

On any single jump your legs don't have to be crossed tightly.
Your first rotation needs to be more open because you are on your way UP (height) in the jump...it's the second rotation that requires the ankles together for rotation.

For axel, practise waltz jump (as you would do it normally) only land with your free foot in front, check the shoulders, and pull in to backspin position.
If you think of 1st part of axel, it's a waltz jump and your feet aren't crossed until the loop part of the axel - and even then, not tightly as with the 2/3axel.

lizzz
12-09-2002, 11:06 AM
Mel, I guess I wasnt' really clear. I'm not worried about the singles or waltz jump. It's just a waltz jump/ backspin in preparation for the axel. I'm not keeping my feet tightly crossed like one is suppossed to. The darn legs have a mind of their own and won't stay crossed thereby making the rotation of an axel very hard( ok, im my case impossible, as in I'm back on the ice spinning rather than in the air!). Imagine arms and legs flailing in stead of this nice pulled in packet!lol
so I guess I'm asking to those who can't convince themselves to pull in, how do you convince yourself to do it!lol I know.. just do it!!!!!
thanks

flo
12-09-2002, 11:46 AM
Hi,
Try doing a loop or other jump into a backspin, or just jump into it on it's own. What happens with a waltz jump is that you really don't need to pull in with your free leg to make it work - so it's not a natural thing to have it that tight. You can also try a waltz loop backspin. Also think of jumping into the spin, not just landing in a spin. When I think of landing in a backspin, I usually land, then pull into a backspin. When I think of jumping into the spin, I get the backspin position at the top of the jump, and land that way and naturally spin.
good luck,

Imo
12-09-2002, 01:57 PM
An exercise I did a lot of to get used the air position for the axel and doubles was backspin-loop-backspin (and eventually, backspin-2loop-backspin)... it took me a while to get the hang of, but it really helped a lot.

The Ice Demon
12-09-2002, 02:29 PM
Blood, sweat and tears (literally in my case) and i still can't land double sal or axel on one foot. So sorry not much help but I can comiserate as I am in the same sort of position - can land all singles in combination up to lutz absolutely no sweat. But do you think i can land a &*%$@#! axel or double salchow?? I either get the rotation fine but then splat on the landing or just go totally wild (picture arms windmilling wildly) the minute i take off for the jump!!:roll:

Um I also have a habit of collapsing forward to get closer to the ice in mid-jump i think it is a way of making myself think if i am closer to the ice i won't fall as hard. I go into this whole 'ape look' as me and my coach call it!

I think i am just going to have to keep working at it (sigh - more bruises) until i get there. I have been told to do a lot of off ice axels and that backspin jump thing on ice. The next lesson I have scheduled with coach I have asked her to bring along video cam so I can see myself and see if that helps me get the feeling of where I am going wrong.

I''ll let you know if I find anything that works.:??

melanieuk
12-10-2002, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by The Ice Demon
But do you think i can land a &*%$@#! axel ....... splat on the landing or just go totally wild (picture arms windmilling wildly) the minute i take off for the jump!!:roll:

AAAGGGGHHHHHH this is *ME*!! :roll:

Um I also have a habit of collapsing forward to get closer to the ice in mid-jump i think it is a way of making myself think if i am closer to the ice i won't fall as hard. I go into this whole 'ape look' as me and my coach call it!
I do this very same thing! 8O

The next lesson I have scheduled with coach I have asked her to bring along video cam so I can see myself and see if that helps me get the feeling of where I am going wrong.

Good idea....I wish I had one! Let us know what you learn!
:)