View Full Version : Should I switch to Coronation Aces?

dbny
12-07-2002, 12:37 AM
I was able to pick up a new pair of Coronation Aces in my size for less than half price, so I couldn't resist. My older daugther, who doesn't skate much now, takes the same size and could use new blades, so she will get them or my current Majestics. Now I have to decide if I want to switch from the Majestics. I'm not going to jump, but will want to start dance probably in the next year. One reason for me to switch is that the Cor Ace is a better quality steel and will hold a sharpening better. One reason not to switch is that the toe pick is a bit lower and I dread the possibility of catching it. Any advice?

KathySkates
12-07-2002, 04:34 AM
How long have you been skating and what elements do you do? A larger, lower toe-pick will help you with your jumps.
I went from a rental skate type blade with tiny toe picks to Pattern 99 years ago. I remember the feeling of soaring in a waltz jump when the skate man sent me out to try the blades. He had them in my size and offered them to me at a discount. I got used to them very quickly.
Now I use Gold Seals. They are very strong blades. I can hold my jump landings better and spin faster ,longer, better on them. They are expensive but worth it, for me anyway.

Aussie Willy
12-07-2002, 06:10 AM
I have only ever skated on Coronation Ace but I must say I have been very happy with them. They are a really good all purpose blade. I do freeskating and ice dancing in them and they are suitable for both purposes. I also have a pair of Coronation Dance which I just have never got around to put on my boots but I got them cheap so that is why I have them.

I personally don't understand why people go on about this blade and that blade. I know someone at our rink who is buying blades for her son and she said that he is going to have a particular blade because she thinks they are best (and the most expensive). Frankly I don't think he really cares and I don't think she really knows much about blades. But unless you are going to be doing triples then Coronation Ace are fine. However I know someone who does triples in Coronoation Ace and she thinks they are pretty good too.

Elsy2
12-07-2002, 08:25 AM
I recommend the switch to the Aces. I went from a blade comparable to a Club 2000 with tiny toepicks to the Aces, and you couldn't wipe the smile from my face. No need to be intimidated by the toepick, as the good knee bend you will concentrate on in dance will keep you from catching them. I think the Aces are a little flatter than the Majestics, which should give you perhaps a little more power.

As for the differences in blades, I have only had 3 different types of blades, and the differences were pretty significant. Toepick style, rocker size, and length of the tails have been different with all 3. I took my chances changing to Ultimas, and the choice was very good for me. I needed a flatter blade than the Aces for more stability. I felt like I was rocking too much on the Aces, but for most people they are a very good choice.

dbny
12-07-2002, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by KathySkates
How long have you been skating and what elements do you do? A larger, lower toe-pick will help you with your jumps.

I should have known to post that :roll: I've been skating about 2 years (Kathy, you remember me as the one who broke her wrist at LP the previous summer.) I don't jump at all and never will. I am doing moves up to Juv, but not all, and still have enough trouble with FO 3's that I can't pass either pre-pre or pre-bronze. My skills are all over the place, but I have pretty clean stroking and F & B crossovers with good speed and power. My coach says I have edge quality unusual in adults. I have skated the pre-juv F power crossovers to passing standard. My F Juv cross strokes are very close to passing and the B are not too far behind. I have just started spinning and am finding the right spot pretty much all the time, and have gotten up to 4 revs on one foot.

BTW, the Majestics and Aces have the same 7' rocker.

Elsy2
12-07-2002, 11:56 PM
Oh, sorry about that...I though Majestics were 6.5'......oops!

DRENDAVN
12-08-2002, 01:09 AM
I'll bet you'll do just fine on Aces and regret that you hadn't upgraded sooner. They should be perfectly fine to start dance with as well. A guy I know of who is working on Gold level dances and in fact coaches dance JUST NOW moved on to dance blades after having skated on Aces for something like 25 years.

I originally upgraded to them not too long after I had started on real cheapie blades. I liked mine perfectly well and had relatively few transition problems at the time.

I needed to go to shorter blades when I replaced my boots 1.5 years ago and elected to upgrade to Ultimas then. My thinking was based on advice I got from a Silver level adult skater who told me to invest in the best blade I could afford and stick with it BEFORE learning to jump and spin to avoid transition problems. My coach, while not objecting at the time, has subsequently told me that she thinks my advanced blades hinder my learning of certain elements and would rather see me on Aces. I don't really have the wherewithall or experience to disagree with her but I personally feel that most hindrances to my learning are due to my own physical limitations rather than the blades I'm on. The other side of the coin is that I'm only her 2nd adult student and the other guy she has is FAR MORE athletic and more daring than I'll ever be!

I guess I got away from the point a little...

Dave D.

KathySkates
12-08-2002, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by Aussie Willy
I personally don't understand why people go on about this blade and that blade. I know someone at our rink who is buying blades for her son and she said that he is going to have a particular blade because she thinks they are best (and the most expensive). Frankly I don't think he really cares and I don't think she really knows much about blades. But unless you are going to be doing triples then Coronation Ace are fine. However I know someone who does triples in Coronoation Ace and she thinks they are pretty good too.

It is such an "individual" thing for each skater. I do know that when I switched to Gold Seal blades, my skating improved tremendously. They are a strong blade and enabled me to hang on to jump landings better. My spins and stroking are also better. I used to lean forward and for some reason I didn't after the switch.
I have heard and read many accounts of how some skaters swear by "such and such" blade or boot. No two bodies are alike, I guess.
If they stopped making Gold Seals, I would go on to something else, but so far they have served me very well in spite of the fact that I don't do triples (just doubles). Although, Gold Seals have been around a long time, even before most skaters have been doing triples!
Yep , they are expensive so I treat them like gold. I sharpen them myself and never walk without guards.
I sometimes think that it would be fun to try all of the different blades to see how each is different. Maybe if I win the lottery! LOL.
One word of advice though to newbies - Don't let the fact that you cannot afford expensive equipment hold you back. I started lessons on the most horrible rental skates imaginable! I even did jumps in them! Don't let anything get in the way of your dream!

Mrs Redboots
12-08-2002, 03:08 PM
I have to admit that my coach shares AussieWillie's views - he says Coronation Ace until you are doing doubles then, next time you need new blades (and only then), go to MK Phantoms, which will last you the rest of your career.

I upgraded to Coronation Ace from the cheapo blades that come pre-attached to your first pair of skating boots after I'd been skating about 9 months - and wished I'd done so 6 months earlier. You catch that toe-pick once. I now use dance blades, but they are still based on Coronation Ace.

dbny
12-08-2002, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by KathySkates
It is such an "individual" thing for each skater. I do know that when I switched to Gold Seal blades, my skating improved tremendously. They are a strong blade and enabled me to hang on to jump landings better. My spins and stroking are also better.

My daughter went from Coronation Aces to Gold Seals and had the exact same experience. She was amazed at the landings she could hang on to. I only got the Gold Seals for her because I got an incredibly good deal on ebay, and now she is hooked on them.

Yazmeen
12-09-2002, 09:42 AM
I switched from Coronation Comets to Aces when I got my new Klingbeil's at my coach's recommendation. I realize that's kind of going backward, but I much prefer the Aces--its easier to do anything with a curve, including spinning, as the Ace is curvier than the Comet. I find my edges much more easily now. I still have to relearn my three turns properly on these (we've been concentrating on a new program, first for exhibition this coming weekend, later with changes for competition this year) but everything is coming swimmingly.

dbny
12-09-2002, 12:02 PM
Thank you all for your input. My daughter just suggested I wait until the Majestics are shot, and switch then. I'm such a chicken that I think that's what I'll do.