View Full Version : Outdoor Skating

Figureskates
12-06-2002, 02:21 PM
I am going to Lake Placid next Tuesday to see the Junior nationals and am bringing along the figure skates...not to compete, but to skate on the outdoor oval which opens today....

After skating indoors for so long, this will seem really, really wierd, since I am sure it will lightly snow and there will be some wind...

KathySkates
12-06-2002, 03:17 PM
Have fun my friend! Take a lap for me won't you! Also see if you can find out if there will be an adult week this summer. With the changes, who knows? I can't bear the thought of our gang not meeting up this year so if worse comes to worse, we will have to do our own thing!

Warm Regards,
Kathleen

Figureskates
12-06-2002, 03:26 PM
Kathleen:

I will definitely get to the bottom of the whole mess...

The first clue is going to be a Christmas Show since Karen staged the whole production in previous years.

I definitely like the idea of doing our own thing anyway. We are going to Lake Placid in August anyway...

I will keep you posted...

RoaringSkates
12-06-2002, 03:42 PM
Sounds fun. We have an outdoor rink in my town which opens when it gets cold enough to freeze the pond - this has happened only twice in the past seven years. It's been too warm. However, when it was open, I skated there. Skating outdoors is fun - cold, hard ice. Lots of wind. Occasional snow. The funnest (and scariest) is skating outdoors at night. My town's pond is groomed, and there are skate guards and lights, but still it's kind of creepy to skate on a pond at night. The ice is so dark! You can hear it creak, too. I definately recommend it.

If your oval is open at night, try it out then, too.

CanAmSk8ter
12-06-2002, 04:05 PM
Waaah! I'm jealous- I've always wanted to go to Lake Placid in the winter. Have fun for me!

Hey Kathy, if things don't go on at Lake Placid this summer, we should all get together down here for a week. Provided that our rink is still open, you would get to see Shae and Vic skate!

kayskate
12-06-2002, 06:14 PM
I've skated the Oval. There are even pics of me on it in my photo gallery.
www.skatejournal.com/gallery.html
When I was there, they allowed no FS at all. I was only doing forward power 3s down the length. I guess I do not consider that a risky skill that endangers anyone, but a rink guard came over and told me "Sorry, Ma'am, we don't allow figure skating." When I was there, the ice was bad. However, I have also been there when speed skaters were training and the ice was beautiful.

Enjoy it.

Kay

mikawendy
12-06-2002, 07:41 PM
Ooh, I'm jealous, too. The outdoor rink near my house was supposed to open last friday, then today, but is still postponed because we just had a big snow storm here. I haven't skated since before Thanksgiving break and was looking forward to having some time to just stroke around, but I'll have to wait til tomorrow morning's practice and lesson.

I was walking the dog today and looking down the hill at the rink. I can't wait til it opens.... :D

DRENDAVN
12-08-2002, 12:40 AM
<<Also see if you can find out if there will be an adult week this summer. With the changes, who knows? >>

A bunch of us just went up for the SOI premiere last weekend. We then did some sessions Sunday and Monday. Saw several of the coaches who seemed to think that Adult Week would definitely happen again as they said it was a good moneymaker for ORDA. Every coach we encountered had positive things to say about Adult Week.

The latest inside info was that Karen's admin job was a victim of ORDA budget cuts and an administrator (not a skating coach) has been hired to handle that portion of the job that she did. As to her students and the coaching part of her job we learned nothing. She has, however, been in contact with one of our adult skaters via email and has said that she's planning to do roving seminars at other rinks.

Hopefully Jack will find out more to report.

<<I am going to Lake Placid next Tuesday to see the Junior nationals and am bringing along the figure skates...not to compete, but to skate on the outdoor oval which opens today....>>

I figured we had just missed that. They had plowed and cleared the surface the day we left and I suspected they were going to start to make ice.

<<Waaah! I'm jealous- I've always wanted to go to Lake Placid in the winter. Have fun for me!>>

CanAm, you should have been with us...

Dave D.

kia
12-08-2002, 05:45 AM
I am so envious. I've skated only once outdoors and it was fun. The ice was bad but it was fun. Enjoy yourself.

Elsy2
12-08-2002, 08:50 AM
My daughter has never skated outdoors, and I would love to have her experience this someday....As a kid growing up in the Cleveland area, skating on ponds, rivers, golf coarses and municipal outdoor rinks is what we would do for fun. It was all purely recreational, and none of us skating with any correct technique whatsoever.

Ice Queen...if you are reading this thread....can you imagine that my first time skating was on the Rocky River in the Municipal Park? We would take our skates and shovels and clear a patch of ice ourselves. My Dad once fell in, and that was the end of river skating 8O We also used to skate at Lakewood park where they would flood a rink every year, Clague Park duck pond, and Winterhurst was an open rink.

Excuse my trip to the past all......very fond memories indeed!