View Full Version : A few technincal questions

twinkle
12-06-2002, 06:46 AM
There are just a couple of questions I've come up with recently;

1. I was on very empty ice this week and started playing around with change-edge spirals. 8-) It's a good thing there was no one else on the ice LOL. I can do a decent inside edge spiral, but when it gets to the change I can't get to the outside without a lot of arm waving, so I lose all my speed before I actually get the outside edge spiral. How do I do a smooth change while still in the spiral position?

This was the only change-edge variation I had any success with at all.

2. Ina Bauer. I have an ok Bauer, it's good enough to be in my program, but I tend to bend my back leg. If I try to straighten the leg, my boot often scrapes the ice. What should I do to help straighten my back leg?

3. Spins. My spins have got a lot faster recently, but have also started to travel terribly. This happens especially on scratch and camel spins, my sitspin is my best spin. Any tips on how to keep spins centred? Also, how do I keep change foot spins from travelling on the change?

I would be grateful for any help on any of these points. Maybe if anyone else has any technical questions they could post them here.

kayskate
12-06-2002, 07:38 AM
I'm only going to comment on the spiral for now. I recommend you learn it first in an upright position. It is much easier to control and you are less likely to face plant. Trust me, you do not want to belly flop on this one. I achieve the change edge by shifting my weight in the boot. You can also steer w/ your shoulders and hips. This will be more straightforward for experimentation in an upright arabesque. The upright pose works well for trying any change edge. You will hear a slight edge grind and create a bit of snow as you transition.

Kay

mikawendy
12-06-2002, 07:52 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by twinkle
2. Ina Bauer. What should I do to help straighten my back leg?

I can't actually do these yet, so I may not have the best advice--but where is your back leg in relation to the mid line of your body? I've heard that if it is too far crossed in back of you it's harder to do an Ina Bauer... so, if you're left leg is in back, you don't want it crossed too far to the right--the left boot will not line up with the right boot.

Maybe you could also practise the position at home in sockfeet (standing still)? Concentrate on turning your legs out from your hips so that you aren't twisting at the knees in a bad way. If you do it in front of a mirror and memorise how it feels, maybe you can translate it to the ice...?