View Full Version : Preliminary FreeSkate Requirements/SC

figuristka
12-05-2002, 11:49 PM
I never bothered to take Freeskating tests, as i was more interested in Ice dance so only took tests in this. Now though iam quite interested taking the exams to be a Skate Canada Can Skate Professional coach. I read on line to take the level 1 technical course u just have to get the phase 1 and need, preliminary Freeskate, dance, and skating skills (one being jr bronze) So i might consider testing the freeskate and learning the skills.

I don't see anywhere what elements u need for the preliminary Freeskate. When i skated before u only needed up to a single flip. Have they changed now? what elements do we need? Thanks

Lee
12-06-2002, 09:24 AM
Part 1 -- Elements:

a) Stroking -- forwards and backwards perimeter stroking -- straight strokes along the sides and crosscuts around the ends.

b) Jumps -- bunny hop, waltz, salchow, flip, loop

c) Jump Combination -- toe/toe

d) Spins -- minimum of 2 rotations on each: fwd. 1-foot upright, backward 1-foot upright, sit, camel

e) Field Movements -- R forward spiral, L forward spiral

Passing Requirements: 12/14 elements satisfactory or better. All stroking must be satisfactory or better.

Part 2 -- Program

a) 1.5 or 2 minutes (+/- 10 seconds)

b) Must contain:
*Jumps -- minimum 3 different jumps of at least one rotation
*Spins -- minimum of 2 different spins

Passing Requirements: Satisfactory or better on 4/6 of the following criteria:
*Use of ice
*Use of music
*Carriage/Line/Form
*Sureness of Skating Skills (excluding jumps and spins)
*Speed
*Program Composition

Sureness of Skating Skills MUST be Satisfactory or better.

NOTE: It is no longer necessary to try both parts of a freeskating test at the first attempt. You may attempt just the elements or program part and try the other part at another test session.

Good luck!

figuristka
12-06-2002, 07:58 PM
Thanks so much Lee :) Its exactly what i was hoping for. Iam glad the requirements have not gone up and that i can take one part at a time. :)

Taking a Freeskating test scared me years ago and even my coach had put me down to take it i took myself off :lol However if i could put this towards perhaps coaching Can skate part time ( and get payed) i think i would attempt it :lol . Skills on the other didn't look interesting to me but of course i would try this also.